joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lake Effect Event Discussion

TugHillMatt

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was a little surprised to see this, but GRR NWS seems confident about a decent LES event across West Michigan. 6 to 10 inches

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=grr&storyid=92564&source=0

As long as the flow maintains some westerly component, I'm in.  Too much of a northerly fetch, and I gotta watch from my porch.

Set-up looks great for Muskegon/ points South.   Grand/South Haven always make out with this setup.

The same holds true for NW IN and sw MI where a LES watch has been issued.  Although I am on the eastern end, events like these with adequate wind trajectories can be significant even for me.  But it does seem strange to be anticipating an event such as this as late in the season as we are when the lake should be frozen over.   A little appetizer before synoptic possibilities for the main course next week!

Your area does well with NW flow...as long as it is not too northerly.

I haven't see a good event in the 3 winters I have lived here with a NW wind.  It has to shift around to have a more westerly component.  Things drop off dramatically once you get east of Zeeland with NW winds.  Last year I can remember Holland getting well over a foot and the sun was shining at my house.

GRR seems confident in even inland locations getting some decent snows due to lake enhancement. They are still hesitant to go with lake effect warnings...my guess is they will switch to them once they see if the bands set up.

It is interesting that at this time of the year the sun adds a convective element....almost thunderstorm like. Has there ever been good lake effect thundersnows?

GRR seems confident in even inland locations getting some decent snows due to lake enhancement. They are still hesitant to go with lake effect warnings...my guess is they will switch to them once they see if the bands set up.

It is interesting that at this time of the year the sun adds a convective element....almost thunderstorm like. Has there ever been good lake effect thundersnows?

Usually see that with north/nnw flow events as that typically brings a intense single band. Unsure how common it is with more westerly flow events?

Was surprised to see they went with a advisory here.

That would make sense, Harry. Thus, it is probably more common in places like South Haven to South Bend than here or GR.

Yeah, I was surprised there were no warnings along the lake shore and that there were advisories so far inland. Did you see the zone forecasts? It looks sort of like they just copied and pasted the same thing. Kent County getting the same as Ottawa and Muskegon? Not if the NW wind is more northerly than westerly. They must be looking at some strong lake enhancement!

High resolution models are definitely indicating some enhancement and some noticeable moisture around Metro Detroit. I would't be surprised if parts of SE Michigan get 2-4" over the weekend. 

With a mostly frozen lake here, I'm doubtful anything fruitful develops in a widespread fashion. 

High resolution models are definitely indicating some enhancement and some noticeable moisture around Metro Detroit. I would't be surprised if parts of SE Michigan get 2-4" over the weekend. 

With a mostly frozen lake here, I'm doubtful anything fruitful develops in a widespread fashion. 

Though it has backed back down to 0.11", last nights NAM had DTW at 0.29", hour after hour of TSSN :lmao: I have never seen that with pure 100% LES from a model, even the NAM. The lake has been uncharacteristically kind to me this winter. MBY saw 10.3" fall from Jan 31-Feb 5, which was mostly lake effect with a little lake-enhanced synoptic snow. LES in these parts is usually of the T-1" variety.

Though it has backed back down to 0.11", last nights NAM had DTW at 0.29", hour after hour of TSSN :lmao: I have never seen that with pure 100% LES from a model, even the NAM. The lake has been uncharacteristically kind to me this winter. MBY saw 10.3" fall from Jan 31-Feb 5, which was mostly lake effect with a little lake-enhanced synoptic snow. LES in these parts is usually of the T-1" variety.

I guess this winter is proof that it is possible for Lake Michigan to produce decently for the Detroit area.

I guess this winter is proof that it is possible for Lake Michigan to produce decently for the Detroit area.

2006-07 had been the best LES winter I could recall here, but it was more like constant dustings to a few 0.5-1.5" events. This winter has certainly proved that under the right conditions lake effect absolutely can hit here beyond the usual flakes in the air and dusting on the ground.

12z QPF  for tomorrow/tomorrow night for DTW is 0.11" NAM, 0.10" EURO, 0.06" GFS. Dont wanna get hopes up but a typical lake event that has little to no synoptic forcing is a few hundredths on the models.

I wasn't sure if this event was actually going to occur, but alas, it has started over the past couple of hours. Very nice dendrites dumping out of the sky right now and quickly accumulating. This lake effect snow is different from some of the other events this year in that snow flake size is nice, the ground is quite cold, and it is piling up quickly.

From GRR NWS Update...I like! (Muskegon in a "Maximum snowfall" area)

.UPDATE...
ISSUED AT 1013 PM EST FRI FEB 15 2013

FORECAST AND HEADLINES STILL LOOK GOOD AS THE LAKE EFFECT EVENT
HAS BEGUN TO INTENSIFY AND EXPAND THIS EVENING. LATEST RAP13 DATA
SHOWS LOW LEVEL CONVERGENCE WILL CONTINUES TO INCREASE OVERNIGHT.
TWO AREAS SHOULD SEE MAX SNOWFALL RATES LATER TONIGHT. ONE AREA
SHOULD INCLUDE THE FFX/MKG REGION...WHILE ANOTHER MAX SHOULD SETUP
OVER THE SW CWA...INCLUDING LWA AND AZO. BOTH OF THESE REGIONS ARE
COVERED BY THE EXISTING ADVISORY.

TWEAKED FORECAST MINS A BIT WARMER FOR OVERNIGHT...WITH ONLY A
MINIMAL FALL EXPECTED FOR THE REST OF TONIGHT.

It looks quite ominous outside.

It seems like Florida in the summer time. Had morning sunshine and now the dark storm clouds are billowing up during he heat of the day.

This is why I love LES.

Had that look here on Jan 21st ahead of squalls, but this morning was actually more of a typical cloudy winter day here, no omninous look to the sky, it just started to snow from a typical winter sky. Thats another thing about lake effect, how things vary in very close distances from sky conditions, to snow, etc. We may have had a second of weak sun earlier in the day but that was it.

I wonder if areas near the river just south of Detroit won't see a quick 2" of snow with that squall pushing through.

It's got to be. A lot of that is sitting in one spot. I would think 2-4" is possible somewhere in the Detroit area.

Where is Freak? Probably doing Cartwheels. Lol

It's got to be. A lot of that is sitting in one spot. I would think 2-4" is possible somewhere in the Detroit area.

Where is Freak? Probably doing Cartwheels. Lol

Yeah it's been sitting there for like an hour and a half now and I'd guess probably 2" per hour rates based on what Michsnowfreak said...and more coming in from the west too. I'm about to see more instability induced 10 minute blizzards myself down here...getting as excited as I can :lol:

Archived