SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2012-13 Thread IV

klw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it looks like state-wide its pretty awesome right now... truly mid-January conditions heading into the last 10 days of March.

Which, it should be noted, we did not have this mid-January ... By Feb. 1 I was wondering if this winter would be a near-total bust (aside from late Dec into earliest Jan) but all of a sudden that blizzard came into the forecast and it's turned around big time ever since, from a skiing perspective at least. 

I spent Tues at Mt Ellen and yesterday at MRG and while the timing of the different parts of the storm/snowfall wound up not being quite what was forecast, we ended up with more snow than expected by the end of the day Tues (as we picked up around 4" during the day, during what was supposed to be a "lull") and about as much for storm total by the closing bell yesterday (no fresh foot to start the morning but at least 3-4" new during the day). Sore legs and smile on my face.

that's impressive for late march. we only got down to 21.5f. there was a bit of an inversion, as the valleys on the way to work were colder

Doesn't take much for cold at my location, especially with fresh deep snow, mostly clear skies (those flakes came from somewhere), and calm air. I got to the Belgrasde Irving station about 7 AM, and the time/temp sign at the bank next door read 23. Noticed also that AFN touched 2F this morning, and 4 at HIE.

There was 0.8" on the board at the 5:30am measurement, but as of 6:20am we are up to 1" overnight at 1,500ft in a persistent flurry.

Groomers reporting at least another 2" fell overnight in the higher elevations. 

Now we are in the "snow globe" portion of March where the NWS forecast calls for light accumulations straight through the weekend.

Today: Snow showers likely, mainly after 4pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 26. Southwest wind 6 to 8 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Tonight: Snow showers likely, mainly before 7pm. Cloudy, with a low around 13. Wind chill values as low as -6. Blustery, with a northwest wind 15 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Saturday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 29. Wind chill values as low as -8. Windy, with a northwest wind 28 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Saturday: Night Snow showers likely, mainly before 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 14. Wind chill values as low as -3. Windy, with a northwest wind 22 to 28 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Sunday: A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 30. North wind 11 to 14 mph. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Event totals: 15.3” Snow/1.01” L.E.

Light snow was falling this morning with 0.3” of accumulation on the snowboard.  I could see that the sky was mostly clear off to the east, but overhead and to the west there seemed to be a bank of fairly dark clouds.  The snow was very fluffy and I couldn’t even measure a hundredth of an inch of liquid from the core, so that will have to go down as a trace.  Based on the BTV forecast discussion, this activity continues to be derived from the low that has been sitting in the area all week, so totals will continue to be added to that event.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 15.6 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy/Light Snow (~10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 9.0 inches

Another fine moonlit night of radiational cooling, with the low 4-5F, though the time/temp sign in Belgrade had the same 23 as yest. (I came by there about 20 min later today.)

Looks like 10 days of the blahs, no change from yesterday's forecast. At least my daughter and family, all of whom like snow, appear to be headed for their biggest storm in 2 yr in central IL this weekend.

WRF is really cranking out the upslope, especially over the 24 hour period from 8am SAT - 8AM SUN:

I know the BTV WRF is often overzealous with the QPF, but hey, that’s pretty cool.  Down at our place in the valley the point forecast sums to 2-6+”, but whatever happens, these events are fun to watch, experience, and document… oh and ski of course.  It looks like powder week could continue even in valleys:

22MAR13A.jpg

There was 0.8" on the board at the 5:30am measurement, but as of 6:20am we are up to 1" overnight at 1,500ft in a persistent flurry.

Groomers reporting at least another 2" fell overnight in the higher elevations. 

Now we are in the "snow globe" portion of March where the NWS forecast calls for light accumulations straight through the weekend.

attachicon.gifphoto1.JPG

Today: Snow showers likely, mainly after 4pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 26. Southwest wind 6 to 8 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Tonight: Snow showers likely, mainly before 7pm. Cloudy, with a low around 13. Wind chill values as low as -6. Blustery, with a northwest wind 15 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 33 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Saturday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 29. Wind chill values as low as -8. Windy, with a northwest wind 28 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Saturday: Night Snow showers likely, mainly before 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 14. Wind chill values as low as -3. Windy, with a northwest wind 22 to 28 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Sunday: A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 30. North wind 11 to 14 mph. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

is this march "snow globe" setup usual like December strectches?  zonal flow, seasonal pattern change?

Another fine day in the Vermont mountains... just buried in snow, and persistent mood flurries/snow showers all afternoon.

Here's a rare photo of myself skiing...the snow is just so perfect in the mountains right now.

Persistent snow showers and flurries, even down here in town we've had pretty steady mood flakes.  Looks like mid-winter snow globe snow.

March22.gif

isn't that contradicted by the froude numbers???

I would have thought from the model output that the number's would be >1. but wtf do I know.

Blocked flow tonight should favor Western slopes and then should be east of the greens during the day on saturday and western slopes or the Champlain valley Saturday night.

Event totals: 15.6” Snow/1.02” L.E.

We picked up a transient tenth of an inch of snow today, which melted in the afternoon, but there’s a new round of activity this evening with snowfall banked up against the spine clearly visible on the radar:

22MAR13A.gif

There’s been 0.2” of accumulation here as of 8:00 P.M. from this round of snow, which has actually made this protracted event the largest of the season.

Details from the 8:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 27.5 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy/Light Snow (1-4 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 8.5 inches

25f and snowing. .5" maybe otg.

Yeah, definitely snowing – I just checked around 10:30 P.M. and found 1.2” on the snowboard since the 8:00 P.M. clearing, so snowfall is in the ½”/hr range.  That snow continues to be banked up against the spine per the radar:

22MAR13B.gif

I haven’t really paid too much attention to the forecast, but I just checked and there’s 2-4” in there for tonight; the snowfall I’m seeing out there seems consistent with that:

• Snow showers. Low around 22. West wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

The forecast discussion doesn’t seem to play the potential up as much as the point forecast, but I’d say we’ll do better than the valley D-1” if we’ve already had 1.4” here:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 8 AM SATURDAY MORNING/...

-- Changed Discussion --

AS OF 743 PM EDT FRIDAY...FAVORABLE SETUP FOR OROGRAPHIC SNOW SHOWERS OVERNIGHT. STEEP LOW-LEVEL LAPSE RATES AND ABUNDANT LOW- LEVEL MOISTURE ASSOCIATED WITH WNWLY FLOW AROUND CLOSED UPR LOW OVER THE GULF OF ST. LAWRENCE WILL MAINTAIN EPISODES OF SNOW SHOWERS...WHICH WILL BE MOST PERSISTENT ACROSS THE NRN ADIRONDACKS AND CENTRAL/NRN GREEN MTNS. EVEN THE VALLEY LOCATIONS SHOULD SEE A DUSTING TO AN INCH OVERNIGHT...WITH 1-3" IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

This is some surprisingly dense snow... its cold powder but dense, and looks to have a decent bit of graupel in it or something.  I bet we got a good shot of H2O with this overnight.  Curious what J.Spin's liquid analysis finds.

3.7" on my board this morning in town... varied highly by surface depending on what it was easiest to accumulate on yesterday evening as the sun went down.  Bare dirt that was wet yesterday afternoon only had about 2.5" on it.

Up at the mountain... 4.6" at the base area.

Event totals: 19.5” Snow/1.23” L.E.

I haven’t really paid too much attention to the forecast, but I just checked and there’s 2-4” in there for tonight; the snowfall I’m seeing out there seems consistent with that:

• Snow showers. Low around 22. West wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

It looks like Mother Nature came in right around the top of the forecast, with 3.9” overnight here, with more in the forecast through tomorrow.  Up above us at Bolton they’re reporting 7” new, and the Bolton-Stowe stretch seems to be the local hot spot in the Northern Greens for last night’s accumulations.  The north to south listing of available overnight snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas is below:

Jay Peak: 4”
Smuggler’s Notch: 4”
Stowe: 6”
Bolton Valley: 7”
Mad River Glen: 4”
Sugarbush: 6”
Pico: 4”
Killington: 4”
Okemo: 4”
Bromley: 7”
Stratton: 4”
Mount Snow: 4”