amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 13-14th Potential Winter Storm Threat Discussion

Zir0b

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rgem is now 5-7mm for NYC. Which is right around .25" of precip. While not to the level of the NAM/Srefs, it's still a pretty big bump north.

0.25 is basically a good bet for NYC I think. 1-3/2-4 is my guess with an outside chance of 5, although unlikely. With the bump north in precip we should watch the models, especially through 12z to see if this continues. If the sref's continue to bump precip (which is now 2 straight runs) I wouldn't be surprised to see a bigger storm.

The RGEM still not budging, it may have ever so slightly shifted the heavy QPF axis 20 miles north but its still generally a miss on any high end advisory snows for NYC but still has some sort of event as most models do.

The 5mm line is on NYC this run.

Snowgoose, I think the EURO being bad within 48 hrs is a myth. Why would a model get worse as it got closer? Wouldn't poor verification early lead to poor verification later? Doesn't make sense. 

it might just be a relative thing. It doesn't necessarily mean it has poor verification scores within 48 hours, but all models are relatively good within 48 hours. The separation at 120 between the gfs ukie ggem and euro is probably decent. By 48, I'd venture to guess its nearly non-existent (or small to say the least).

Snowgoose, I think the EURO being bad within 48 hrs is a myth. Why would a model get worse as it got closer? Wouldn't poor verification early lead to poor verification later? Doesn't make sense. 

Relative to other guidance, Euro consistently scores higher at all lead times....the difference (at least in the past) was that the spread was higher vs. the other models at longer lead times, which somehow was translated into Euro is "good" at longer lead times but "bad" earlier on.....myth.

Its probably not so much that it gets worse as it is the GFS gets better because the GFS is a U.S. model meant to be run over the lower 48, the GFS' lousy schematics may cause it to be outperformed in the medium range by the better gridded/formated Euro but as you get inside 2 days the GFS "homefield advantage" begins to really takeover and as a result, even though it may be "less talented" its able to score more hits that the Euro cannot.

it might just be a relative thing. It doesn't necessarily mean it has poor verification scores within 48 hours, but all models are relatively good within 48 hours. The separation at 120 between the gfs ukie ggem and euro is probably decent. By 48, I'd venture to guess its nearly non-existent (or small to say the least).

Good analysis!! ;)

Relative to other guidance, Euro consistently scores higher at all lead times....the difference (at least in the past) was that the spread was higher vs. the other models at longer lead times, which somehow was translated into Euro is "good" at longer lead times but "bad" earlier on.....myth.

ya thats what I was saying, more of a relative thing as opposed to a truth.

edit: just saw your reply lol...thanks

Storm vista.

Paid site.

You get about 1-2 this run. Temps are not a huge issue for you. But If you don't get into heavy preciep, might just be mix

Guess some of that .25"+ goes to mix then, unless ratios are really bad. Looks like about 3" for here per my view if it was all snow, but if we loose some of it to mixing, than 2" could be a possibility. 2-4" I think is reasonable for now for here, if temps continue to look diecy, than cut back to 1-3"

-skisheep

I would take the NAM's temp profile over the GFS, as it's usually too warm due to its poor resolution. Looks like a decent event becoming more likely along LI and C NJ especially (3-5", 4-6"), maybe NYC and coastal CT as well. Still think this can have room for a minor bump north. The ocean enhancement is quite likely as the low begins to deepen fairly rapidly and throw back more moisture-so a good band or two may develop and sit around for a few hours. But the accumulating snow should last only 6 hours or so I would think. This will be on a tear out of here.

Archived