amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 8th-9th Snowstorm/Blizzard Event Observations

WeatherFox

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one listened to me about the strength of this deformation band, but NYC metro is getting destroyed right now. It's absolutely blizzard conditions here in Westchester with curtains of blowing snow, heavy snow, dropping temperatures, and an ever-whitening landscape.

+SN

26.0/25

N@16 G 24

Total accumulation: 11.5"

I could see getting close to 18" before all is said and done. Radar looks absolutely astounding. The heaviest returns from LI/CT are pivoting towards NYC, and the banding extends all the way back to the Poconos and Catskills with heavy snow for another 150 miles to the west. NYC has plenty of fun to come. 

No one listened to me about the strength of this deformation band, but NYC metro is getting destroyed right now. It's absolutely blizzard conditions here in Westchester with curtains of blowing snow, heavy snow, dropping temperatures, and an ever-whitening landscape.

+SN

26.0/25

N@16 G 24

Total accumulation: 11.5"

I could see getting close to 18" before all is said and done. Radar looks absolutely astounding. The heaviest returns from LI/CT are pivoting towards NYC, and the banding extends all the way back to the Poconos and Catskills with heavy snow for another 150 miles to the west. NYC has plenty of fun to come. 

you generally don't see radar look like this at this stage of a nor easter. We have hours to go of accumulating snow. Probably starts to slow down after 4am and the light stuff probably shuts off west to east around 6 or 7am

Everyone's going hog wild with reports of blizzard conditions.  Ya'll know you need gusts to 35 mph for that, right?  No one is getting that in NYC metro right now.

I went for a walk in the woods behind my house, which have a maximum elevation of 450' and are very exposed because they sit above the town with the river to the west...I think we were getting gusts in that range. Snow is blowing all over the place.

And yes, Kaner, I agree that this is an unusual storm. It was well-modeled, though, that the heaviest stuff would be overnight. 

Archived