amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
COLD OBS / Forecast

NorEaster27

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At 3:00 AM Westhampton had fallen to -5 F and NWS Upton was a bit warmer at +2 F. 

The morning low was -7 F at Westhampton and 0 F at NWS Upton.  That is pretty impressive cold, though a considerable ways from the all-time coldest temperature on Long Island, which was -23 F on January 22, 1961. 

<p>Sort of a disappointment to make it all the way to 22.7F today in Westchester with 850s of -22C, but the surface CAA seems to be losing steam despite strong north winds ripping all day. Last night had a low of 8.6F, which was exactly the same as the night before. Although it's definitely been cold and very blustery, this arctic outbreak hasn't been <em>that</em> impressive.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Currently I'm sitting at 19.2/3 with a forecast low of 8F. Conditions are perfect for radiating with a 1032mb arctic high cresting over NYC this evening, but the upper levels are significantly warmer as 850s are only -14C at 6z tonight...</p>

Was hoping we could pull a sub 20F day in NYC, but there's was a good deal of sunshine and downsloping NWLY winds today, not to mention 850's warmed during the afternoon.

Temps right now seem to be slightly warmer than last night at this time, but once winds decouple, suburbia will plummet. Becoming less confident that NYC will slip under 10F.

Coldest week in 17 years in NYC.

Just curious how you (or someone) arrived at that.  Is that a projection based on expected temps through Saturday or Sunday and is it based on some aggregate temperature deviation or some other measure?  Been wondering how this cold snap rates, historically, and how cold snaps are even ranked.  Any info would be appreciated...

Just curious how you (or someone) arrived at that.  Is that a projection based on expected temps through Saturday or Sunday and is it based on some aggregate temperature deviation or some other measure?  Been wondering how this cold snap rates, historically, and how cold snaps are even ranked.  Any info would be appreciated...

I'm not sure how he arrived at that conclusion, but there are any number of ways to "rank" a cold snap:  Number of days with highs below a certain value, number of days with lows below a certain value, average high during a defined period, average low during a defined period, average temperature during a defined period, coldest daytime high temperature, coldest nighttime low temperature... I'm sure there is one or more possibilities I'm not even mentioning, but you get the point.

I'm not sure how he arrived at that conclusion, but there are any number of ways to "rank" a cold snap:  Number of days with highs below a certain value, number of days with lows below a certain value, average high during a defined period, average low during a defined period, average temperature during a defined period, coldest daytime high temperature, coldest nighttime low temperature... I'm sure there is one or more possibilities I'm not even mentioning, but you get the point.

So this is how I came up with my entry earlier today of, how this is could trun out to be the coldest 7 day departures against the  average since 2004

Mon - 5 Tues - 9( was really 10 but im not gona explain , too long and no one cares )   Wed - 17 Thrs - 14  Fri  ( est - 12 ) Sat ( Est - 10 ) Sun ( est - 5 ) , Gets me close to 7 days of minus 10 in CPK against the averages

Again I am talking during the winter months . NYC doesnt see cold like this , this long that often . I think this cold snap , with no snow cover isnt understood that its pretty rare .

So this is how I came up with my entry earlier today of, how this is could trun out to be the coldest 7 day departures against the  average since 2004

Mon - 5 Tues - 9( was really 10 but im not gona explain , too long and no one cares )   Wed - 17 Thrs - 14  Fri  ( est - 12 ) Sat ( Est - 10 ) Sun ( est - 5 ) , Gets me close to 7 days of minus 10 in CPK against the averages

Again I am talking during the winter months . NYC doesnt see cold like this , this long that often . I think this cold snap , with no snow cover isnt understood that its pretty rare .

This week won't turn out to be colder than during January 2005, but will be among the coldest since then.

Coldest weeks in NYC since 2003:

1/18/-1/24......2005....17.1

1/10-1/16......2004.....17.4

1/18-1/24.......2003....18.7

1/23-1/29.......2004....18.9

2/4-2/10.........2007....20.9

1/15-1/21.......2009....21.2

This week won't turn out to be colder than during January 2005, but will be among the coldest since then.

missed 07 - 09 , went back and didnt see it ... eeek

Archived