• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30 Severe threat. S Plains to TN valley to SE

OKpowdah

Compared to runs since 12Z yesterday, the NAM at 03Z 01/30 has been trending about a millibar deeper with the surface low each run, and the trend is likely not finished. And it has been trending toward an even-clearer warm sector late tomorrow morning. So has the 12Z WRF compared to the 00Z run, at least on the night prior to 01/29.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank You guys for the feedback. I was wondering does moisture drive up CAPE despite lack of sunshine or cloud cover? 62-68F dewpoints seem really high for this time of the year. Could it drive it up to as high as 1000-1500J/kg for tomorrows event. Sorry I know little about this stuff and will let you guys speak.Sorry for being a jerk in the past.

Focusing only on Texas, I'm a bit surprised to see they drew the SLGT line so far west. I guess they are being conservative with the line's development. I wouldn't be surprised to see them push that risk a good 100 miles east with later outlooks. I do agree with other posters that this outlook was conservative. Should the 12Z model suite continue to aggressive, I would anticipate a more strongly-worded discussion at 1730Z. It's all about the forecaster style.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they added in a Day 1 risk for tonight (they hint at that)...and drew the Day 2 further west...to account for any dryline isolated stuff that fires between 12 am - 6 am. I'd have at least a 5% in to the areas to the west...for an Ozona...to Sweetwater...to Wichita Falls line. I've noticed that the AWIPS soundings tend to outperform Bufkit of web based parameters. Note the increased instability on the UNMODIFIED AWIPS sounding from today's 12z NAM (click on the sounding to see full view) for Brownwood, Texas...southeast of Abilene. I'm not saying it's gonna happen...but I could see the 5% being added further west.

CONSENSUS OF LATEST MESOSCALE AND CONVECTION-ALLOWING MODEL GUIDANCE
   SUGGEST TWO MORE PROBABLE AREAS FOR STORM DEVELOPMENT: 1) FROM ERN
   KS INTO WRN/NRN MO IN THE 29/02-06Z TIME FRAME...AND 2) FROM
   CNTRL/SWRN OK INTO NWRN TX IN THE 29/09-12Z TIME FRAME.  WHILE
   INSTABILITY WILL BE MARGINAL...BOTH LOW-LEVEL AND DEEP-LAYER SHEAR
   WILL BE QUITE STRONG.  AS SUCH...A CONDITIONAL RISK FOR DAMAGING
   WINDS AND TORNADOES WILL EXIST GIVEN SUSTAINED STORMS ROOTED IN THE
   BOUNDARY LAYER.  WHILE LOW...UNCONDITIONAL SEVERE PROBABILITIES WILL
   BE MAINTAINED IN THIS FORECAST...AN UPGRADE TO SLIGHT RISK MAY BE
   REQUIRED IN SUBSEQUENT OUTLOOKS SHOULD THE ABOVE-MENTIONED SCENARIOS
   BECOME MORE CERTAIN.

post-767-0-42516400-1359388391_thumb.png

post-767-0-59208300-1359388406_thumb.jpg

I love how 12z NAM shows secondary low development and gfs has been showing it for awhile now and yet SPC forecaster Goss completely ignores that..

I don't agree with the outlook fully either....but what?

How could he guess what the 12z NAM would look like last night?

No. It's an analog. It takes the current setup and spits out past outbreaks that are similar to this current setup.

Yes. The top five CIPS analogs for 00Z 01/30 are now, in order from 1) to 5), as follows: 01/13/2005, 12/27/2008, 02/09/2001, 03/10/1992, and 03/01/2007. The overnight analogs are 01/04/2000, 12/23/2007, 02/17/2008, 02/06/2008, and 01/04/1982. 02/05-02/06/2008, 03/10/1992, and 03/01/2007--the crème de la crème--have consistently been near the top of the preferred analogs. Interestingly, 02/11/2009, the date of the Lone Grove, OK, EF4 tornado, is now the second top analog for 00Z 01/29.

man, if these clouds break for just a couple hours this afternoon, it'll be enough to spike into the upper 70's to around 80

You don't want temps that high.  Though you have pretty solid moisture near the sfc, it's pretty shallow, and any breaks in the clouds would support mixing of dry air to the sfc, eliminating any CAPE and making LCLs skyrocket.  You guys are just gonna need whatever lead impulse impacts the warm sector tonight to be enough to help sustain DMC.  If it is strong enough, then I don't see why a tornado or two won't happen as long as the drier air doesn't mix down.

Archived