joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30 Severe threat. S Plains to TN valley to SE

OKpowdah

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looked like a pretty good sized tornado.  61dBZ and sub 50% rho-hv is impressive with that tight couplet.  Hopefully everyone in the path took appropriate shelter.

Also, the line segment near St. Louis is gaining a few mesovorticies, all of which should have a risk of producing tornadoes across cntl IL.  I noticed KSPI's sfc winds were backing ahead of the QLCS, which could serve to further heighten tornado potential.

That looked like a pretty good sized tornado.  61dBZ and sub 50% rho-hv is impressive with that tight couplet.  Hopefully everyone in the path took appropriate shelter.

Also, the line segment near St. Louis is gaining a few mesovorticies, all of which should have a risk of producing tornadoes across cntl IL.  I noticed KSPI's sfc winds were backing ahead of the QLCS, which could serve to further heighten tornado potential.

Do you think we could still see a significant tornado threat in Arkansas this evening?

I love how everyone's starting to talk down this event even though it wasn't expect to really get going until after 00z anyway.  It's the same people all the time, too.  How about we just sit back and watch how things evolve for once?  A lot can and will happen between now and 00z-03z.

Now that the cold pool is beginning to erode the capping over NW LA, I should probably not be willing to overturn my earlier, consistent projections at the last minute. You are spot-on again...I was probably somewhat impatient and overly nervous about the bust potential.

Low-topped convection near SHV actually appears to be initiating a bit earlier than indicated on the NAM.

New MSD out:

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0076   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0437 PM CST TUE JAN 29 2013      AREAS AFFECTED...LOWER MS VALLEY      CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...TORNADO WATCH LIKELY       VALID 292237Z - 300100Z      PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...80 PERCENT      SUMMARY...PRE-FRONTAL CONVECTION ALONG THE SABINE RIVER TO CNTRL LA   SHOULD EVOLVE INTO DISCRETE SUPERCELLS AS ACTIVITY APPROACHES THE   LOWER MS VALLEY. TORNADOES /POSSIBLY SIGNIFICANT/ AND DAMAGING WINDS   WILL BE THE PRIMARY THREATS.      DISCUSSION...AN AREA OF WARM SECTOR SHOWERS WITH A FEW EMBEDDED   TSTMS ALONG THE SABINE RIVER INTO CNTRL LA SHOULD GRADUALLY DEEPEN   THROUGH THE EVENING HOURS FED BY UPSTREAM PW VALUES OF 1.5 INCHES.   AS LARGE-SCALE ASCENT AND LOW TO DEEP-LAYER SHEAR ALL FAVORABLY   INCREASE...DISCRETE SUPERCELLS SHOULD DEVELOP. SOME   CONVECTION-ALLOWING MODEL GUIDANCE INDICATES THIS   OCCURRING...ALTHOUGH APPEARING LIKELY TOO SLOW /BETWEEN 03-06Z/. IT   APPEARS MORE PROBABLE BASED ON OBSERVATIONS THAT SUPERCELLS WILL   OCCUR BY THE 00-03Z TIME FRAME...WITH THE PRIMARY THREATS BEING   TORNADOES /POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT/ AND DAMAGING WINDS.      ..GRAMS/HART.. 01/29/2013         ATTN...WFO...MEG...JAN...LZK...SHV...   

DISCUSSION...SEVERE THREAT WILL INCREASE THIS EVENING AS BOTH QLCS AND PRE-FRONTAL TSTMS LIKELY STRENGTHEN. BOTH LARGE-SCALE ASCENT AND DEEP-LAYER WIND FIELDS WILL INCREASE SUBSTANTIALLY...SUPPORTING AN INCREASING RISK FOR DAMAGING WINDS AS THE QLCS LIKELY ACCELERATES EWD DURING THE EVENING. LOW-LEVEL HODOGRAPHS WILL BE VERY FAVORABLE FOR TORNADOES /POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT/...ESPECIALLY WITH SEMI-DISCRETE TSTMS JUST AHEAD OF THE QLCS.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0077.html

mcd0077.gif

Archived