• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Pattern and Storm Discussion II

Cold Rain

Here's the deal for Columbia SC people.  The 12z GFS did show snow, as did the 12z Euro.  The 12z Euro was so borderline, it would most likely be a bit of sleet/wintry mix if we were lucky.

Basically, the 12Z runs were okay for CAE if you want snow, but I don't think it will continue to show this.  Looking at 1000-500mb thickness values, it is not even worth it.  850's looked fine, but that's the nature of this upper level low, any change in track can really screw you in CAE.  The ensemble from the 12Z GFS showed rain for CAE, along with the 18z OP run.

The track and intensity of the ULL on these model runs really aren't very conductive for a good snow around most of SC, much less CAE IMO.  We may be lucky to even see a flake or sleet pellet in the midlands.  The TwisterData maps are notoriously terrible at snowfall output, which lead me to the barely cold enough sounding at 120hrs on the 12z GFS (for pure snow).  The problem with the sounding from the GFS is between 114-120HRS on the 12z GFS, the precip was going to accumulate and by 120, the surface temps are still a tad above freezing, and in Bufkit, the soundings looked almost too warm for much other than a couple flakes/pellets if that mixed with the rain.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RDU seems to just squeeze this one out and cash in on all frozen precip from 99-108hrs...and by RDU I literally mean the airport. Of course the 0c line is dancing around between frames so it will be interesting to see the soundings of this run....snow line looks to be basically RDU to CLT and points north, for a rough estimate. Of course not falling as snow entirely for the boarder counties throughout.

RDU seems to just squeeze this one out and cash in on all frozen precip from 99-108hrs...and by RDU I literally mean the airport. Of course the 0c line is dancing around between frames so it will be interesting to see the soundings of this run....snow line looks to be basically RDU to CLT and points north, for a rough estimate. Of course not falling as snow entirely for the boarder counties throughout.

We're probably both in the same boat. I'll wait for the soundings to get overly excited with this run. 

We're probably both in the same boat. I'll wait for the soundings to get overly excited with this run. 

The Instant maps look like CLT will see something.  I guess paying attention to just the 540 line is a bad idea (along with the 2m) temps.  North Central NC into Southern VA looks wonderful on that map.  Far West NC look to really have a chance at something big with this system!

Verbatim, the I-40 and north would be snow/mix, just south would be mostly rain.  If the vort would hold on 6 hours longer it would have been better.  The surface temps are crashing, if this comes in 6 hours later too that would help.

Here's the minimum 2m temps for hour 96.  Not too bad for points north and west of I-85.  Allan's site doesn't have hour 99, but hour 102 is also provided below.

I wouldn't worry at all about the 2m temps at this point. That vort is strong enough it should bring the temps crashing. GFS might be having a hard time with this....BUT as Robert said it's still a thread the needle storm especially for any of us on the edges. If the GFS were correct whoever cashes in is gonna get dumped on.  :snowing:

Archived