Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Storm Chance 12/30/12

RowanBrandon

A few thoughts

1. even though the model says rain the soundings are right on the fence for the 295/nj turnpike areas after about 16z, philly nw should be OK for mostly to all snow. Still would think a few 4's or maybe a 5 would be top totals regionwide.

2. computed ratios are down to 7:1 perhaps as low as 5:1 for philly and just southeast.However can go higher than 10:1 for northern NJ and perhaps ABE northwest as well.

3. southeast NJ and most of DE not along 1-95 should change to rain pretty quick this includes MIV and ACY.

4. Evaporational cooling should keep temperatures steady in the morning from the NJ turnpike to the northwest.

Yup evaporational cooling should do it and the fact that it will be rapidly exploding off the coast and a quick mover should also help keep most of us frozen in my opinion, other than those SE areas mentioned.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2-4 good call, Kasper, Lombardos crew all calling for that. Kasper's forecast has rain mixing and changing in south jersey and coast cutting back totals to 1-3, only calling 1-3 in north jersey...that should go over well with the NYC metro subforum

Throw me in with the 2-4 crowd (for the Trenton area, anyway).

Tom - seen this too many times - the runs by 0z tonight will be dryer and the 925mb low will be a bit further south....I think everyone north and west of MIV see accumulating snow - although light. If in our area NW burbs we pick up a few inches we will be at over 10" for the season - not too shabby for a warm December. I also think we have some real potential with some overrunning next week to add at least a few more inches to the snowpack....now when was the last time we talked about a snowpack?

There may be discussion about two different things. I don't think anyone is arguing that YOU have any p-type issues, but PHL could. Always beware the warm advection. I busted on Wednesday because of it :axe:

Urban heat island, FTL. We metro suburbanites rarely stay cold enough when there is the threat of mixing. That said I don't think there is a real problem of mixing with the storm city and points west and north. If the coastal moves close enough maybe points east, but right now I don't see that happening.

Folks in the DC area are less concerned about the surface than people in here. Wouldn't lighter winds inhibit the WAA? Seems like winds for the most part remain calm during the storm. If we get an early start on the snow then that should help.....sun angle couldn't hardly be lower either so that should help.

I'm more concerned the storm comes in drier than forecast than warmer.

looking at the guidance I can see the city end as drizzle or light rain but there's still pretty solid and agreeable consensus on a two inch or so event in the city. Need the front end to be a bit more aggressive and heavy to get you more than 2 in the city but that's why the forecast (IMO) was 2-4 and not 3-6.

A few thoughts

1. even though the model says rain the soundings are right on the fence for the 295/nj turnpike areas after about 16z, philly nw should be OK for mostly to all snow. Still would think a few 4's or maybe a 5 would be top totals regionwide.

2. computed ratios are down to 7:1 perhaps as low as 5:1 for philly and just southeast.However can go higher than 10:1 for northern NJ and perhaps ABE northwest as well.

3. southeast NJ and most of DE not along 1-95 should change to rain pretty quick this includes MIV and ACY.

4. Evaporational cooling should keep temperatures steady in the morning from the NJ turnpike to the northwest.

This, this, this....all of this.

...and I think it's important to note that even though there's a warmer tongue at 925 on the NAM and GFS for the middle/latter parts of the event at PHL...if it's precipitating steady enough, it just kills your ratio but it'll likely be snow to the surface since the warm layer is rather tiny. I think the 7:1, 6:1 type ratios work really well here.

Euro is a little warmish, makes it up to 4.4c at kblm and 3.9c at knel..

Euros colder. Def all snow for Phl...limits any mixing issues in se nj

.25+

Yes, as mentioned by others, SE of the Turnpike there appear to be major mixing/rain issues. In contrast, it only gets to 1.1C at TTN.

ok which is it colder or warmer lol guess I will err on the side of warmer....

and everybody is up in arms about what its showing for temps? weenies.

Jeez, the NAM is such a god awful disaster of a model that it splits the two pieces of energy and is looking to dryslot I-95 and South Jersey on this run.

Edit: PHL does get in on *some* precip but it's a bit less than the 12z...

Jeez, the NAM is such a god awful disaster of a model that it splits the two pieces of energy and is looking to dryslot I-95 and South Jersey on this run.

Edit: PHL does get in on *some* precip but it's a bit less than the 12z...

so much for the "juicy" 18z

It didn't look too bad frame by frame but somehow the 36hr total is under .25"?

I have seen the idea of a qpf gap between the energy to the W and the coastal discussed multiple times across the forums...so just because I don't like it I can't right away dismiss it.

Watch the thermal profiles come in better now, and Smokeater steal everyone's snow

Jeez, the NAM is such a god awful disaster of a model that it splits the two pieces of energy

Well in 1 or 2 of our 2010 storms it showed a "warm/dry " slot right over my area and it was the only model depicting this feature.....and it was RIGHT. That's exactly what happened. Agreed its a different weather regime now, but based on experience, I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly.

Yeah my worst fear is coming to light. The overrunning precip dries up, coastal takes over and Philly misses out on most of everything. Still could get an inch or so if NAM is right, but that would suck for Philly, better for places NE.

The NAM is a POS. Best to ignore it. It can't maintain consistency for two frickin' runs in a row.

While the NAM is a little weaker/drier, the SREF mean is a little wetter bringing 0.5 to the Del River and 0.75 to NJ coast

was just about to ask...if SREF was following suit I'd be more worried.

Anybody know how any of the models are verifying so far for this across the deep south QPF amounts and placement wise?

Archived