Newest Member
    joxey
Storm Chance 12/30/12

RowanBrandon

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never taken a formal Synoptics class but here's my thoughts:

First, I want to point out the 18z GFS ens mean, because it certainly is intriguing:

18zgfsensemblep12156.gif

You have a decent signal for a coastal storm given you're 6 days out, and with 850 mb temps closer to -3 or -4 C, we're probably not as likely to have temperature issues this time around.

But love is fleeting. Take a look at the 0z ens mean (Note: this is 6 hours later than the above image):

00zgfsensemblep12156.gif

The signal is not nearly as robust.

The 18z individual members are pretty nice though. By my count, 9/12 members produce accumulating snowfall in Philadelphia (as judged by a period of at least 0.10" of liquid and 850 mb temperatures < 0 C), although they come in different evolutions.

What I did notice from the individual members though is that...

1) The "primary" is not nearly as strong as it will be with Wednesday's storm. The deepest primary is, I think, ~991 mb, but every other solution has it at or above 1000 mb.

2) There actually are several goldilocks solutions. I remember commenting that with the Wednesday storm that the ens mean looked nice, but that was because the individual solutions were either wrapped up and rainy or suppressed and dry, and not because there was a consensus of a coastal track. In other words, there were no "just right" solutions. That is not the case this time.

So what changed to cause the 0z solution to be, well, not as nice?

Below is the 18z 500 mb height anomaly from the ens mean:

18zgfsensembles500mbHeightAnomalyNA144.gif

Now, here's the 0z. (Again, note the slight timing difference.)

00zgfsensembles500mbHeightAnomalyNA132.gif

The biggest change from the first to the second is that the E-Pac ridge is significantly more amplified. But notice that what that also does is cause that area of lower heights in the SW US (actually a cut-off Low on the Op) to deepen a bit more. That, combined with ridging over eastern Canada being slightly stronger and pushing just a tad more south, causes our potential storm to not quite deepen enough for a big hit (although we do still get maybe an inch or two of snow on the 0z).

The 0z individual members will be interesting to see when they come in, but overall, I think the pattern favors an out-to-sea track of our potential storm over a Lakes Cutter due to the orientation of our blocking and the trouble we will (potentially) have getting our eastern US trough to amplify. Therefore, I don't think we have to worry about an inland rainy storm, but I do think a wide-right miss is at least a possibility. But with cold air (somewhat) in place following Wednesday's storm, and with said storm becoming a 50/50 Low, I'm cautiously more optimistic with this storm than I was (except for a brief period Friday) with Wednesday's storm.

Just about everything that went wrong for the system on Wednesday ;)

Except, of course, that the Ray curse will have been transferred back to Elko ;)

Hahaha. Touché !

One thing that I like this far out is a little bit more colder air available to our NW:

zahunege.jpg

Next 2 storms are baby steps in getting some type of baroclinic zone to set up between inland and the coast.

0z euro ens says threat is legit:

What can go wrong between now and then...

Just about everything that went wrong for the system on Wednesday ;)

Except, of course, that the Ray curse will have been transferred back to Elko ;)

I'll believe it when I see it. For the past few years the "next storm" is the big threat and our best chance, only to be a non-issue once it arrives.

Agree this is a little better threat with cold air more available. A couple of things have me worried: 1) There is not a strong HP to the N to hold in the cold air, 2) Non-Euro models appear to be trending warmer leading up to storm, and 3) the trough is broad so in many model runs the coastal is late to develop. We have a shot but as usual need things to break right.

1) Check the Kocin snowstorm book. There are many instances in which the high pressure center is NOT over the NE, but instead, is located over the Midwest. There's certainly a high pressure influence on all of the models.

2) This is the trend thus far this season. The GFS will likely continue to correct NW with time, but it is still far enough SE.

Agree this is a little better threat with cold air more available. A couple of things have me worried: 1) There is not a strong HP to the N to hold in the cold air, 2) Non-Euro models appear to be trending warmer leading up to storm, and 3) the trough is broad so in many model runs the coastal is late to develop. We have a shot but as usual need things to break right.

1) Check the Kocin snowstorm book. There are many instances in which the high pressure center is NOT over the NE, but instead, is located over the Midwest. There's certainly a high pressure influence on all of the models.

2) This is the trend thus far this season. The GFS will likely continue to correct NW with time, but it is still far enough SE.

Not saying it wont happen and agree with 1+2. Those are just the things that have me worried

GFS still coming in, but drives the storm off the Carolinas and off to the NE, giving what would appear to be an all-snow event for most, with the majority of the precipitation for areas closer to the coast... The good thing is that there is a big area of HP to our north keeping the cold air locked in. This storm definitely has potential, without a doubt.

GFS still coming in, but drives the storm off the Carolinas and off to the NE, giving what would appear to be an all-snow event for most, with the majority of the precipitation for areas closer to the coast... The good thing is that there is a big area of HP to our north keeping the cold air locked in. This storm definitely has potential, without a doubt.

Agree. Some room for a stronger storm closer to the coast to stay snow

Archived