Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Late December Discussion and Christmas um Event

Cold Rain

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bummer for sure, I was hoping this would atleast get to Mobile and than start heading NE to the spine of the App's and than transfer to the VA/NC border and give TN/NC mtns/MA/NE a good storm. But that is 3 fairly consistent GFS runs and now we are getting within 4.5 days. Hopefully Euro/CMC/UK are further SE. I would imagine UK/CMC are not going to repeat what they did last night.

Bummer for sure, I was hoping this would atleast get to Mobile and than start heading NE to the spine of the App's and than transfer to the VA/NC border and give TN/NC mtns/MA/NE a good storm. But that is 3 fairly consistent GFS runs and now we are getting within 4.5 days. Hopefully Euro/CMC/UK are further SE. I would imagine UK/CMC are not going to repeat what they did last night.

Wouldn't be the the first time they've sniffed out a trend before the Euro and GFS did...but it's looking more and more likely that this one may be fading.

For the GFS, this is not the storm for the SE....it could be setting the stage for something later, though. I still want to see the other models before I write off this as a winter threat.

I remember a few years ago when we had two camps like this,only a few days out. Euro and GFS had a miller a, while the CMC and ukie had the storm cutting thru Tenn. In the end it was an earlier phase and it cut. Now we can only hope the cmc and ukie will win out again.

I remember a few years ago when we had two camps like this,only a few days out. Euro and GFS had a miller a, while the CMC and ukie had the storm cutting thru Tenn. In the end it was an earlier phase and it cut. Now we can only hope the cmc and ukie will win out again.

There are many times when multiple shortwaves are in the stream and the models have a DIFFICULT time determining which one will develop/strengthen and which one won't. This makes the forecast extremely difficult. We shall see who wins out.

We are talking about features interacting with each other 4-5 days away. Timing is critical and even a 6-12 hour placement mistake will have large effects. Continue to look at all modeling and lean on the ensembles for the next day or so.... JMO.

Excellent post!!! I totally agree, especially if each model has a drastically different result.

We have to wait for consistency before a more confident forecast can be made....when this occurs is anyone's guess right now.

You guys should be up in the High Country today instead of behind computer screens. Don't let the winter we have pass you by!

Today's snow may likely be the best out of the December 21, December 26 and January 2 events.

no, surely not, today snow is nothing in asheville. want a storm, hopefully Jan 2/3.

It appears the trough has not made its way onto the coast yet. if i remember correctly, the gfs usually has sampling issues over the pacific. that coupled with the euro and its faults as mentioned in posts before mine, creates a wide spread of solutions. i dont think we can discount any solutions at this point.

I've been looking at the 12z gfs rain projections, as is my want...to go against the grain in the "all snow" thread :) Based on recent successes with goofy for rain predictions in MBy, the 1.4 it wants to give me over Xmas seems reasonable, as as it is under 7 days, and I'm inclined to expect it. With maybe some wrap around flurries.

As for New Years, if it gets a bit colder sooner, then the 3 inches it is projecting would most certainly make me have to try to live through the second 3 inch plus zrain rain horror of my life, rather than the first over 2 feet of snow I've experienced :) Just simple odds, and climo.

So, I would expect far lower qpf to verify, or 3 plus of cold rain, at this point. The gfs has been great lately with rain, so I can sure see rain coming around New Years, this far out. But either far less, if frozen, or just cold rain. If if is cold enough, and it does drop 3+ inches, I can't see that being snow this close to the gulf, but rather me reliving the zrain I never want to relive again, or a nice soaking cold rain. Not that I don't deserve 3 feet of snow, I just don't know if I'm that lucky, even with the moles. I've seen plenty of 2 or 3 inch gom low rain storms in my life, but the only time I saw over 3 inches of qpf in frozen form, was zrain.

I guess there is always the first time, and I would enjoy 3 inches qpf in ip/sn, but I'm not holding my breath. T

Well if that first little low that spins off and gives us some range before the main event is any indication @84 it's good bit east of the 00z last night. It had the low around north west GA and NE AL...this run has it around NW SC....then pushes it out to see on the next frame. The frame before it was south of where 00z had it. Let's see where this run goes.

Archived