• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Stumbling into a wintry pattern, weenies confused; still shaken from last winter

earthlight

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weathergun, I agree with your thoughts.

The synoptic evolution over the next week actually looks pretty decent to me. The EPO signal will be changing PRIOR to Christmas, around the 21st, as the Aleutian ridge extends nwd into Alaska, breaking off a block, which then propagates eastward to congeal w/ the high height anomaly over Hudson's Bay. This height rise over Alaska will drain arctic air into Southern Canada with at least polar air across the northern US in the 21st-25th period. The 50/50 low is solidly in place on Christmas day in conjunction w/ the blocking in northern Canada. The question in my mind concerns the progression of the Western short wave. Does it cut-off and deepen that early as guidance seems to be suggesting? If so, heights will be pumped in the Southeast and there will be time for the SE Canadian 50/50 induced confluence to weaken. However, even if that occurs, my early guess is the storm will not be nearly as strong or as far north as currently progged. Nothing's set in stone at this stage.

I have an Accu WX Pro account, so I'm able to see that image. Pretty large scale system gearing up near Georgia on that timeframe.

Even if its just a flicker of light in a sea of darkness. Just nice to see a diff solution from a global model

GFS Ensemble Member showing the transfer from the primary to the secondary. Interesting solution.

post-3451-0-73006600-1355861144_thumb.pn

You can see the 1030 mb high to the north preventing the storm from cutting, thus forcing a transfer.

I would not be surprised even if this storm cuts if there is a few inches on the front end before it changes over to rain, obviously if the storm cuts into Illinois or Wisconsin that won't happen, but if the track is more oriented from WSW-ENE into the eastern OH Valley or a transfer does occur it could happen.

Note the major changes taking place over Canada as the EPO signal reverses at D 3-5. Arctic cold at initial is locked up over AK/Eastern Siberia/Arctic, but this gets dislodged to the south and east, overspreading most of Canada by D7.

Initial:

34iiyp3.jpg

D 7:

Note the warming in locations its currently the coldest

29zsmlz.jpg

PHI is on it...OKX asleep.

NJZ012-013-015-019-020-PAZ071-104-106-182045-

EASTERN MONTGOMERY PA-LOWER BUCKS PA-MERCER NJ-MIDDLESEX NJ-

NORTHWESTERN BURLINGTON NJ-OCEAN NJ-PHILADELPHIA PA-

WESTERN MONMOUTH NJ-

248 PM EST TUE DEC 18 2012

...A CLUSTER OF SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS WILL AFFECT

BUCKS...BURLINGTON...MERCER...MIDDLESEX...MONMOUTH...MONTGOMERY...

OCEAN AND PHILADELPHIA COUNTIES...

AT 246 PM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

CLUSTER OF SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS 4 MILES SOUTHWEST OF

TRENTON...MOVING EAST AT 30 MPH. THE SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WILL

BE NEAR YARDVILLE-GROVEVILLE...WHITE HORSE AROUND 300 PM...

CLARKSBURG...ROOSEVELT AROUND 315 PM...MANALAPAN AND JACKSONS MILLS

AROUND 330 PM.

WIND GUSTS TO 40 MPH AND SMALL HAIL ARE POSSIBLE WITH ANY

THUNDERSTORMS.

Archived