• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Stumbling into a wintry pattern, weenies confused; still shaken from last winter

earthlight

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It goes from being good before truncation to being like **** after. This run doesn't make sense. Onto the ensembles.

Not much a fan of Sherlock Holmes, eh?

I don't believe the high ever was 1040mb on an ensemble image. You are probably thinking of an operational run of the model and it is currently progged to be 1048mb at 192 hrs. and over 1040 the entire time it is driving the low into it. There is a very valid question as to whether this storm can really cut into a high of that magnitude, if it is really there of course.

The high was 1040, now it's 1027, it's coming in weaker with subsequent runs, so yes it can cut.

I don't believe the high ever was 1040mb on an ensemble image. You are probably thinking of an operational run of the model and it is currently progged to be 1048mb at 192 hrs. and over 1040 the entire time it is driving the low into it. There is a very valid question as to whether this storm can really cut into a high of that magnitude, if it is really there of course.

It would be very unusual to get an ensemble mean showing a 1040 MB high. Mostly because it's a blend of all the various members which don't have a high resolution to begin with and then the mean is a smoothed out average of all of them. Therefore there would have to be quite a few members stronger than 1040 in order to get that high of a pressure on an ensemble mean. It would be very unusual to say the least.

lets kick this 6Z GFS ensemble image around - is this possible or impossible - a storm cutting into Michigan with a blocking high in southeast Canada ? ?

http://raleighwx.ame...emblep12204.gif

It's possible at 190 hrs on the GFS. At those ranges, a 1004mb low can defeat a 1040mb high with one slap to the face, blindfolded at that. As we approach the time frame, we'll realize that it may take the 1004mb two, or maybe three slaps to the face, to defeat the 1040mb, leaving us with a slightly chillier rain.

This could wind up going east of course, but I agree with Isotherm. Not east enough to go coastal redevelopment. Could even go up the spine which would be rare.

That post was mostly not serious. My real thoughts are that this is going to try to make a run for the Lakes at least initially, if the data is to be believed regarding a deepening trough in the Rockies. That will pump heights immediately east of the short wave, causing it to begin turning NW much too early for a widespread east coast snow storm. However, I do believe the modelling is probably underestimating the influence of sfc high pressure in Canada. Additionally, as others have alluded to, we need this Friday's storm to remain near the 50/50 region of SE Canada to hold the confluence across the Northeast. Without any confluence, the Christmas event has an open path to cut directly to the Lakes, with zero energy transfer. I think it's going to attempt a cut, but it should secondary somewhere off to the south and east if the confluence is in place. Secondary/energy transfers can be good for us but it's still way too early to be talking specifics. There's no doubt about the improvements in the EPO region which I and others have discussed in the main board winter thread. The cold air should be in place prior to Christmas; it's a matter of keeping that confluence and 50/50 intact over SE Canada so we can force an energy transfer. The amplitude of the trough depicted out West is a bit scary but is to be expected given the -PNA regime. Often times in -PNA/-NAO winters you see many energy transfers, which not surprisingly tend to screw the southeast and mid atlantic while benefiting New England. Sometimes we can get involved as well.

That post was mostly not serious. My real thoughts are that this is going to try to make a run for the Lakes at least initially, if the data is to be believed regarding a deepening trough in the Rockies. That will pump heights immediately east of the short wave, causing it to begin turning NW much too early for a widespread east coast snow storm. However, I do believe the modelling is probably underestimating the influence of sfc high pressure in Canada. Additionally, as others have alluded to, we need this Friday's storm to remain near the 50/50 region of SE Canada to hold the confluence across the Northeast. Without any confluence, the Christmas event has an open path to cut directly to the Lakes, with zero energy transfer. I think it's going to attempt a cut, but it should secondary somewhere off to the south and east if the confluence is in place. Secondary/energy transfers can be good for us but it's still way too early to be talking specifics. There's no doubt about the improvements in the EPO region which I and others have discussed in the main board winter thread. The cold air should be in place prior to Christmas; it's a matter of keeping that confluence and 50/50 intact over SE Canada so we can force an energy transfer. The amplitude of the trough depicted out West is a bit scary but is to be expected given the -PNA regime. Often times in -PNA/-NAO winters you see many energy transfers, which not surprisingly tend to screw the southeast and mid atlantic while benefiting New England. Sometimes we can get involved as well.

I just feel that the details will change 1000 times between now and when the shortwaves in question actually come ashore. If you wanted to give one model vs another an edge in terms of forecasting relative pressures on a ten day forecast, then of course you would have to side with the Euro thanks to its higher resolution.

Once the models get a better idea as to the strength of the shortwaves involved, things will begin coming into better perspective. I agree that assuming a miller B type setup is the best we are going to do, then you want a weaker parent low.

The models seem to be locked in in terms of phasing occuring over the mid-west and the low closing off and going negative tilt over Oklahoma. So unless the models are very wrong with this phase, redevelopment is the best and only thing we can really hope for.

Archived