• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Stumbling into a wintry pattern, weenies confused; still shaken from last winter

earthlight

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z gfs has a very long duration precip event for 26-27th. Looks cold...frozen interior more liquid coast although 850 line never makes it north of southern part of LI/NYC. Verbatim probably some snow for NYC and a good amount just inland. I like the evolution of the storm too with our block (and subsequent christmas day disturbance squashing heights a bit)suppressing what would otherwise be a cutter

00z GFS has a beautiful storm on the 27th now with overrunning precip and throwback from the coastal. Looks like a solid snowstorm for much of the area. Pretty much illustrates what earthlight and other folks on this board have been hammering away at for the past few days. System tries to cut into the OHV/Lakes, but smashes into the block and transfers to the east where redevelopment occurs.

With a pretty decent cold source showing up, I'm actually somewhat interested in this event now.

00z GFS has a beautiful storm on the 27th now with overrunning precip and throwback from the coastal. Looks like a solid snowstorm for much of the area. Pretty much illustrates what earthlight and other folks on this board have been hammering away at for the past few days. System tries to cut into the OHV/Lakes, but smashes into the block and transfers to the east where redevelopment occurs.

With a pretty decent cold source showing up, I'm actually somewhat interested in this event now.

Totally agree. Lets see some model consistency for a change (doubt it lol)

The huge difference is that there is a solid area of confluence BETWEEN the system and the block. It's really a beautiful setup. Hopefully that confluence is for real.

Ya...and as much as it appears real, for the past couple storm threats that for one run or another showed us getting some kind of frozen precip, that confluence was decidedly absent. Huge implications for our potential storm threat.

Ya...and as much as it appears real, for the past couple storm threats that for one run or another showed us getting some kind of frozen precip, that confluence was decidedly absent. Huge implications for our potential storm threat.

Yeah. Of course I'm still skeptical. But the other runs for those "threats" had no true confluence in between the shortwave and the ridging in Canada. So those ridges just bridged together. Here, though, there is a constant area of screaming WNW flow and vorticity in between the shortwave and the block, which helps to flatten our heights. That's something you see in the classic overrunning/coastal systems and not even close to what we were seeing in the other "threats".

There is still room for the confluence to escape to the northeast, though. That's what I'm still worried about.

Yeah. Of course I'm still skeptical. But the other runs for those "threats" had no true confluence in between the shortwave and the ridging in Canada. So those ridges just bridged together. Here, though, there is a constant area of screaming WNW flow and vorticity in between the shortwave and the block, which helps to flatten our heights. That's something you see in the classic overrunning/coastal systems and not even close to what we were seeing in the other "threats".

There is still room for the confluence to escape to the northeast, though. That's what I'm still worried about.

I think this run may be a bit too suppressed, the eventual solution will probably be something more north and west, still think we will not have a snowless December in NYC though even with a further west track, there would certainly be some snow to start.

Agreed was just pointing out the absence of such a signal in threats that don't have a high chance of producing anything frozen, as with the most recent storm and the one affecting the Midwest currently. This definitely has a different feel to it. Maybe he GFS can score a coup

That is a hecs of a setup around new years

and oh yeah, before that i doubt that sytem gets that far north in the ohio valley, especially if the ridge out west continues to trend weaker..Also the block sends down a nice piece of confluence and then phases with the storm to our south

You don't really need a bombing secondary low in this setup, just a secondary. At hr 171 snow is on the doorstep and doesn't really stop until around hr 192-204 time frame. That's about close to a 24 hour event. Reminds me of PDII with the initial over running followed by the secondary. The secondary low itself wasn't all that impressive but it did its job. Could be one of those rare setups that only come around once every few years if that. The 00z GFS verbatim would be in excess of 1.00" QPF for everyone. More south.

That is a hecs of a setup around new years

and oh yeah, before that i doubt that sytem gets that far north in the ohio valley, especially if the ridge out west continues to trend weaker..Also the block sends down a nice piece of confluence and then phases with the storm to our south

If the GFS were to be right with its 500mb evolution and its constant pieces of confluence being sent downstream from the block, then yes, I would agree with this.

There is obviously synoptic confluence that will be evident on all model data. But there are also smaller scale "pieces" of vorticity that are strung out which -- although small scale -- can do a lot to suppress a system. 2/6/10 had similar pieces, though obviously that was a more suppressed pattern to begin with. But these smaller pieces are going to be harder to forecast this far out, and there's a very good chance that the Euro won't have these pieces and will show a very different solution.

Hoping for something out of this one... I'm back in NE NJ for a while in late Dec and Jan, tomorrow marks the 11th month since the last time I saw over an inch of snow. The block is more impressive this time and definitely points to potential at least for the Northeast from the storm next week, perhaps for the NYC area as well if the initial track and transfer is far south enough. For what it's worth (which isn't much) the 0z CMC looks a bit more GFS-like compared to its 12z run yesterday, although the models haven't been consistent on this one, not that it should be any surprise 180 hours out. I'd like my chances better further inland than in NYC at this time but there's still time for trends hopefully in our favor.

So far the month has been snowless in NYC, I'd be surprised if it ends up this way by 12/31 and would expect at least some accumulations by then but I'd place my hopes on this storm or perhaps something around New Year's to get that to happen.

This is the most impressive signal I've seen modeled so far this month, more so than the 12/18 event in the medium range which ultimately turned into the rain event. The ridging in eastern Canada this week was both exaggerated by the medium range models and was weaker than the upcoming block. Interesting possibilities ahead...

post-1753-0-81482500-1355983309_thumb.gi

Archived