• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Son of Sandy Observations/ Nowcast Nov 6/7

Baroclinic Zone

My understanding is that if that strong band coming from Long Island Sound stays together, most of the shoreline west of say, Old Saybrook, could get a nice quick coating of snow, before becoming more of a mix to even just plain rain.

You guys will wetbulb down to like 34-35 probably before the marine influences kick in. It's already pretty moist down there (39/32), so wetbulbing will be minimal compared to a place like DXR(38/27).

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My understanding is that if that strong band coming from Long Island Sound stays together, most of the shoreline west of say, Old Saybrook, could get a nice quick coating of snow, before becoming more of a mix to even just plain rain.

I was thinking the same. We've see some of these front ends over perform in recent memory...although the one I recall most vividly which was our first event back in November 2010 I believe was overnight. That was was also a SW flow event as well IIRC. Still...was really surprised the NWS only mentioned the possibility of a mix with sleet and nary a mention of a flake for their shoreline zones.

I'm definitely expecting a sharp gradient across my area. RAP looks like a gets a band pivoting in here from the SE, but it dies as the main band sets up shop just to my S and E. NAM also suggests a significant gradient between CEF and ALB. Depending on the NW extent of the precipitation shield, we may be looking at a situation where one spot gets 4-5" of snow while another 40 miles to the NW gets little or nothing. That said, it's a tough forecast for the Berkshires. I went with 2-4" in south county, 1-3" in north county. There could be a spot 5" in one of the higher spots in the SE corner of the county if the band holds together.

Hopefully I can keep the lucky streak going a la 12/26/10, 1/12/11, or 10/29/11, and get a nice meso band (mini version of the aforementioned events) in here for a while later this afternoon and into tonight.

Temperature sitting at freezing. Looks and feels like snow.

You're on the good side of that gradient, Mitch--I'm envious! I'm figuring the 1-3" looks right for here. It was nice seeing the NAM's earlier runs pushing a lot of qpf further north, but I don't think there's much to be said for that depiction.

I'm feeling pretty confident we could see some 4" totals in CT away from the valley...more than just a single weenie ob in northern Litchfield.

I would feel more confident if the 12z NAM wasn't so ugly looking with a QPF split over us lol.

But yeah I think 1-2" most places (even some accumulation at the shoreline??) with 2-4 possible especially up NW of HFD.

You're on the good side of that gradient, Mitch--I'm envious! I'm figuring the 1-3" looks right for here. It was nice seeing the NAM's earlier runs pushing a lot of qpf further north, but I don't think there's much to be said for that depiction.

Maybe, I think the best spots to be locally from this event will be on the east slope from Chesterfield or so on south down into NW CT where I feel more confident of a 3-5" event, maybe a spot 6" somewhere in CT. Topography may help you a little even though you're north a bit. I'd go with 2-3" for you. I still think I may be a little too far NW, and topography usually doesn't help me whenever the flow is easterly. We shall see though.

I would feel more confident if the 12z NAM wasn't so ugly looking with a QPF split over us lol.

But yeah I think 1-2" most places (even some accumulation at the shoreline??) with 2-4 possible especially up NW of HFD.

Yeah...if NAM is right...4" amounts would be near the MA state line...but BDL looking pretty awesome from the NAM bufkit. 0.6" QPF snow.

I'm going 2-4" for ORH. Wouldn't be shocked to see a few higher loolis if the front end band can over perform. The temps are so cold right now that this should stick pretty quickly.

Two records should get broken today at ORH...the 1.4" daily snowfall record (1953) should go down, and the 35F record low max (1960) should go down.

I feel more confident that a sleep deprived CT Rain agrees with my forecast from yesterday morning....I think!

Is there an icon for "smoking cirrus"? My daughter will be so disappointed. That gives me nada. Enjoy easterners, though!

I don't think it will be that dry for you, however it may be colder and further east with the better snow. We will see. That was quite a jog east for something so close.

Archived