Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Banter Thread for PHL area : Sandy / Post Trop Phase

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must have REALLY misunderstood or misinterpreted what was going to happen early on today with the storm. I thought, and expected, that things would be a little more interesting in the morning hours today. At the moment, all is calm here with no rain and light winds varying between 3 and 8 mph. I truly believed we'd have steady rain with winds generally running in the 10-20 mph range at this time.

Wow, that sucks.

And to top it off, one of our drivers told me that a couple of production lines are down and the silos are full. Still he was told to go down with a load. I know when that happens you can possibly sit all day waiting to deliver. Crazy stuff. I'll bet, even though they have the option to bottle drinking water, they are going to try and bottle spring water right up until the power goes out.

They pull the same crap in major snowstorms. They could keep trucks off the road and run drinking water from the municipal line, but whenever it snows, they have a mad push for spring water, which has to be trucked in.

No call from work yet, so everything must still be on schedule. Looks like I'll be out trucking in some of the worst this storm has to offer later on today...

Just listening live on Fox29 now and Gov. Corbett said there will be car and tractor trailer restrictions on all PA interstates. You may want to check with PennDOT before heading out.

Just listening live on Fox29 now and Gov. Corbett said there will be car and tractor trailer restrictions on all PA interstates. You may want to check with PennDOT before heading out.

Unfortunately, I don't run any interstates. I run PA309 and PA100 from Tamaqua to Allentown. My concern is the many trees that line my route. It could actually be worse than running on the interstate.

With the latest track possibly going a bit more south, can we expect north winds throughout the duration of the heavier weather still (up until the end where they will switch to s)? Or will n/s wind duration be more comparable now?

I hate to be greedy, but with 7 90' beech trees within striking distance of the house, any extended heavy south winds might make me lose a bit more sleep.

the southern track will be a big help in the rain department in northern portions of sepa. anticipating the rain totals to be down in the 4-6" rain in upper bucks which would help substantially in the tree collapse department. southern chester through lancaster, york and out to harrisburg will be the epic center for high rain totals in pa i would have to believe

Not sure where to post this question but figured it would be less in the way in the banter thread. Any guesses about tides on the Delaware north of Philly? My wife (who I know call the Hurricane Hunter) decided, against my advice, to proceed with a planned trip to see relatives just north of Philly. They are located between the Delaware and Neshahinny (sp?) Rivers across from the Neshahinny State Park. She hasn't reported anything too drastic yet but I figured I would check with the locals to get a better idea of what she might have to deal with.

I would also like to thank all of the posters in this sub-forum and really all of the sub-forums in the path of Sandy. The posting has been top notch. Good luck with what you are facing. Having dealt with Irene up here in Vermont last year, the next few days and weeks could be rough.

Not sure where to post this question but figured it would be less in the way in the banter thread. Any guesses about tides on the Delaware north of Philly? My wife (who I know call the Hurricane Hunter) decided, against my advice, to proceed with a planned trip to see relatives just north of Philly. They are located between the Delaware and Neshahinny (sp?) Rivers across from the Neshahinny State Park. She hasn't reported anything too drastic yet but I figured I would check with the locals to get a better idea of what she might have to deal with.

I would also like to thank all of the posters in this sub-forum and really all of the sub-forums in the path of Sandy. The posting has been top notch. Good luck with what you are facing. Having dealt with Irene up here in Vermont last year, the next few days and weeks could be rough.

It all matters on how high they are above the river. Does she know? I mean, there is some elevation in north Philly so she might be fine even if it floods.

Google says 20ft

They're probably safe. Right now winds have been northeasterly, pushing them OUT of the river into the bay. I have great difficulty believing a 20 foot wall of water is gonna somehow find its way back up the river.

Here's the tide gauge on the river in Philly:

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=phi&gage=phbp1

They're probably safe. Right now winds have been northeasterly, pushing them OUT of the river into the bay. I have great difficulty believing a 20 foot wall of water is gonna somehow find its way back up the river.

Here's the tide gauge on the river in Philly:

http://water.weather...=phi&gage=phbp1

That was sort of what I thought seeing the satellite imagery. Thanks for the info though.

Archived