Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Banter Thread for PHL area : Sandy / Post Trop Phase

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started wrapping up errands at 6am....People at Home Depot waiting for the store to open were told by manager that there were no generators but he expected "half a truck" by noon, they seemed edgy...people at the supermarket were in a good mood, they were well stocked at that hour...except batteries, almost out. Topped of car with gas, atm for cash...just finished bringing in lawn furniture, disconnect propane from grill and strapped off the grill to a post with a tie down....all ready, just need some beer for post storm activities.

Just wanna wish everyone well during this upcoming storm. Hope everyone is prepared as one can be.

-Please be very careful when using candles if you have to resort to them. Do not leave them unattended.

- if using a generator, keep outside and vented away from you're house. Carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless killer.

Symptoms include flu like symptoms, tiredness, headache,DIZINESS, confusion.. (one of the first signs).

- if living in a multiple occupied dwelling (apt building, twin, etc..) if you are not running a generator, please have a carbon Monoxide alarm. Your neighbors could be running them and causing an issue. Smoke alarms should be working as well !! DUH

During Irene last year, our FD ran into A LOT of these emergencies.

If any emergency, don't hesitate to call 911 after you're safe yourself.

-do not try and drive through flooded streets. It's amazing how many people we call "stupid" for doing this. There's nowhere you could possibly have to go to risk your life and that of rescuers.

Any other questions you might have about what to do to prepare for an emergency or what to do during one, , give me a shout. More than happy to give you advice.

Posted this in the other "Banter" thread as well:

OK - In Toms River they have trick-or-treat the day before Halloween. Toms River has one of the largest Halloween parades in the area on Halloween night so that it is why they move it.

Observations:

1) No one around here - yet has moved any of their outdoor decorations inside - expect to see some witches flying around Monday

2) The night before Trick or Treat here is called Devils/Mischief Night - might be an apropos name

3) Trick-or-Treat going to be canceled for sure - now at least I have my candy supply for my potential multi day outage (all kidding aside - have made proper preparations as well)

3) Halloween parade itself on Wednesday???

Just when I thought that we had everything for the storm, my wife comes to me and says we need to get to Shop Rite - I was like why?! "We need vegetables!" axesmiley.png

I'll be happy if mine hits 20...considering the issues I posted about in the marketplace forum.

I'm probably hoping for too much... based the reduction I tend to see and my expectation for max wind gusts (65 mph is tops I think), the most I can probably hope for would be in the mid 40s. Unless it actually does gust to hurricane force at TTN airport (which I don't expect it to).

Heard NOGAPS went way NE, I wonder if this is a trend. Would surge still be an issue for Cape May & S NJ if the storm tracked into Norther NJ?

Yea, it did. However, you have to be careful. It's the most progressive model out there, and usually in the eastern side of guidance. It was a red flag a few days back that it was showing a wound up solution closer to th euros depiction. Compared that to the GFS out to sea scenario it as forecasting, you knew the GFS was gonna have a good chance of it being wrong.

Still can't believe NHC is handing this off to local offices. Not because I don't think they can't handle it, but I don't think the public would heed high wind and flood watches the same as tropical/hurricane watches. IMHO, i think this is a real mistake.

Still can't believe NHC is handing this off to local offices. Not because I don't think they can't handle it, but I don't think the public would heed high wind and flood watches the same as tropical/hurricane watches. IMHO, i think this is a real mistake.

I don't think I agree with this. The media hype about Sandy/Frankenstorm has pretty well informed the public of what is going on. I don't think its going to matter a great deal in the end.

I don't think I agree with this. The media hype about Sandy/Frankenstorm has pretty well informed the public of what is going on. I don't think its going to matter a great deal in the end.

Guess you have a point.

Anyhow? Plenty of green stuff aroun my neck of the woods:

ynytuzu3.jpg

rudase8a.jpg

All pix taken @ stop signs!

Guess you have a point.

Anyhow? Plenty of green stuff aroun my neck of the woods:

ynytuzu3.jpg

rudase8a.jpg

All pix taken @ stop signs!

You took one near Cardington i see, my first Ex Gf lived or maybe still lives over there right across the street from the Fire House been inside of that firehouse many times. Her brother passed away this year at 29 years old you might know of him. But yeah back to the topic alot of tree's with leaves wind sails.

Archived