• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ohio and surrounding states (Let's talk winter!)

Steve

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Complete and total bust here in Westerville. We have about an inch and a half. We wasted our time on this?! It just completely crapped out on us.

I think columbus reported 3.5",    Here...also in Westerville...probably techinically close to 3".    I measured this morning when I cleaned off my car and it was just under 3".   This wet slop is deceiving and probably as difficult to measure as a powdery wind driven snow is.   It also compacts when it accumulates.    I actually think mby did better with this one than March 6th.   That one I only measured 2".

either way, this is why you have to go big or go home after February when it comes to snow.   Even if we had gotten a foot i bet most of the roads would be fine by now.   Checking out the euro 10 day....looks like crap....no warm up in sight.  

Ended up with 3.25" IMBY in SW Greene Co, every single time they predicted heavy snow this winter (like 4-6" or 6-10") we always got half of the lower number (twice the last week of Dec and now twice this month)!

True....I was berated in the other storm thread here a couple days back, told I should be happy with our 37" so far in cmh.   I'll tell you what, IF we actually got 37 (which is now probably 40"+), of snow this winter, it was the most pathetic 40+" winter I can remember.

True....I was berated in the other storm thread here a couple days back, told I should be happy with our 37" so far in cmh.   I'll tell you what, IF we actually got 37 (which is now probably 40"+), of snow this winter, it was the most pathetic 40+" winter I can remember.

I agree..we may have got 2 inches..another flop of a storm!! If we did get 40..it was a pathetic 40..And to make things worse..looks like a cold or cool spring!!

I may have had 1 storm of 5 inches here in Newark..could be wrong but I don't think so..The rest were nickel dime stuff!!

I agree..we may have got 2 inches..another flop of a storm!! If we did get 40..it was a pathetic 40..And to make things worse..looks like a cold or cool spring!!

yea, reminds me of Dec. 2000 or 2001 when we had our snowiest Dec. on record without a single snowfall greater than 1.5". I'd rather highstep my way into the record books then to shuffle my way in.

There should be zero complaints about snowfall in the Columbus area this winter.  40" seasons are rare no matter how they get there, and there were a couple storms that produced around 6", which is one more than normal.  Also, 2 months featured double-digit snowfall and December was a top 10 snowiest.  Snowfall was also 3x more than last winter.  Just because we lacked a blockbuster storm or if there was the occasional bust does not mean we didn't do extremely well, especially for the region. 

yea, reminds me of Dec. 2000 or 2001 when we had our snowiest Dec. on record without a single snowfall greater than 1.5". I'd rather highstep my way into the record books then to shuffle my way in.

December 2000 had 13.4", which is nowhere near the record.  December 2012 had 14.9".  I think you guys are being a bit unreasonable about this season.  Had there been any real cold, I have no doubt the tune would be very different, but because it was warm, it seems more like a lame winter.

Color me insane but I'd rather have a near or somewhat above average temperature winter with above average snowfall as opposed to cold with above average snow.

Classic elevation differences evident in Athens here today. It's been snowing on the valley floor (around 630' asl) all day yet the 2.2" of slop we got yesterday has melted. The ridges around town which peak near 1000 feet are still solidly white more than half way up.

There should be zero complaints about snowfall in the Columbus area this winter.  40" seasons are rare no matter how they get there, and there were a couple storms that produced around 6", which is one more than normal.  Also, 2 months featured double-digit snowfall and December was a top 10 snowiest.  Snowfall was also 3x more than last winter.  Just because we lacked a blockbuster storm or if there was the occasional bust does not mean we didn't do extremely well, especially for the region. 

not trying to get argumentative here but I really don't need to be lectured about how I should feel or whether my perception about something is wrong.   Here IMBY I did not measure a single event this year over 5" and the closest was ONLY the Dec26th slop fest in which the first 6 hours was sleet and slush.   As I said in the grading thread, I gave this a C because that storm, although hardly a blockbuster, will be remembered for the time of year and the hype leading up to it.  What better to have happen on xmas eve than to have the models to start showing a 12" snowstorm the day after xmas!   That was awesome even though it busted.   After that we had about 10 days of snowcover and a couple of 'refreshers'....yes that was great.     Take away those 10 days to 2 weeks around xmas and this was a pretty boring forgettable winter.    I'm not sure where the other 6" storm you were referring to was but probably March 6th.  I got about 2" on that one.   The hit and miss localized gradients on that one was insane. Literally 3, 4, and 5 inch diffences from suburb to suburb.

40"+ should be a hell of a memorable season and that's the point...it won't be, save december 26.    Take 09'-10' for instance...that one seemed like we had three times the snow of this one.    That february was incredible with snow on snow on snow.

As far as the December snowfall record.....I most likely have the wrong year, and possibly it was a second snowiest December or something,  but the idea remains with the point I was making.

I guess it was Dec. 2000 and it was a top 10.   Biggest snowfall was 1.9, and only one other barely had more than 1.5".   

Amazingly Dec. 2004 doesn't come close to making the cut.   Yet, if you were to ask most people based on what they recall, which Dec had more snow, '00 or '04, I'm sure everyone would say '04 based on that one Major disruptive snowstorm.  

That's my point.   Snowfall totals are nothing more than a stat.   It's the storms, the severe cold, and long duration snowcovers that we remember.

post-622-0-19628400-1364240635_thumb.jpg

What I will remember about this winter is that every single event we had underperformed. Every single one.

watch what you say Jay, you're sounding like an ingrate.  You will take your 40" and be thankful dammit.  I don't care if it came in (80)  .5" snowfalls! :P

ok i'm being a smarta**  but I think too many people here, (not picking just on jbcmh), get hung up on pure stats.   My love of weather is based on extremes.   I'd take half of the snowfall we got this season if it came in (2) 10-12" storms, over the 40+ inches of nickles, dimes, and a couple of sloppy quarters that we actually received.    Two 12" storms would give us a season of below normal snowfall but no doubt it would be a much more memorable winter. 

watch what you say Jay, you're sounding like an ingrate.  You will take your 40" and be thankful dammit.  I don't care if it came in (80)  .5" snowfalls! :P

ok i'm being a smarta**  but I think too many people here, (not picking just on jbcmh), get hung up on pure stats.   My love of weather is based on extremes.   I'd take half of the snowfall we got this season if it came in (2) 10-12" storms, over the 40+ inches of nickles, dimes, and a couple of sloppy quarters that we actually received.    Two 12" storms would give us a season of below normal snowfall but no doubt it would be a much more memorable winter. 

Id be rich if i had a dime everytime someone said something said something like you just posted. the problem is thats not how the weather works, never has, never will. People are always talking about wanting to trade in frequent snowfall for a major storm or two and a winter of otherwise nothing (yet they complain when a week goes by without snow :lol:). And whatever you like, thats fine. To each their own, and there is no right or wrong answer. HOWEVER....the CMH 40" winter is yet ANOTHER example of how the snowier times we are in this century have totally muddled perceptions. Detroit saw snow records left, right, and sideways from 2007-11 and there was always SOMETHING someone found to try and poo-poo it. Sure we all would love a major snowstorm. And ma nature will never give us the winter that we dream up. But in the end it doesnt matter how you get your snow...if you are getting significantly MORE than you average and thats a crummy winter...what on earth would these boards be like if everyone had well BELOW normal snow for a few years in a row?

Id be rich if i had a dime everytime someone said something said something like you just posted. the problem is thats not how the weather works, never has, never will. People are always talking about wanting to trade in frequent snowfall for a major storm or two and a winter of otherwise nothing (yet they complain when a week goes by without snow :lol:). And whatever you like, thats fine. To each their own, and there is no right or wrong answer. HOWEVER....the CMH 40" winter is yet ANOTHER example of how the snowier times we are in this century have totally muddled perceptions. Detroit saw snow records left, right, and sideways from 2007-11 and there was always SOMETHING someone found to try and poo-poo it. Sure we all would love a major snowstorm. And ma nature will never give us the winter that we dream up. But in the end it doesnt matter how you get your snow...if you are getting significantly MORE than you average and thats a crummy winter...what on earth would these boards be like if everyone had well BELOW normal snow for a few years in a row?

Well in fairness you are one of the posters here who embrace stats and enjoy that aspect. Which is cool, but most of us aren't here for that. Sorry stats are stats and nickles and dimes are nickles and dimes...that's all they are. Forgettable, which is why we have to record them on paper. No chicagoan will ever have to be reminded of the GHD storm, no LAF poster will ever have to be reminded of VD2007, and I'll never forget March '08 or Feb'10. OTOH, this winter will be wiped from my memory by Memorial day, (40+" and all).

As far as what the boards would be like if we had stretches of boring weather, well look at DC for example. They haven't hit 5" of snow this season and haven't had a respectable winter since '09-10, and yet there are 10 times the weenie posters over there than there are in our forum. It shows that extremes breed weenies, not stats. If it were about who had the greater stats, the southeast and midatlantic forums would be dead in the winter and the this place would be overrun by greatlakes and northern new england posters.

Ultimately it's to each his own and no one should be told they, "should be happy with this or that...." or "they have unrealistic expectations". I'm well into my 40's and have spent most of my winters in central Ohio...I know what I consider to be a good and bad winter, I don't need to be told this by someone in another state...or here.... thumbing thru NWS stats for CMH (not picking on you).

Regardless, we all have different opinions. My scale weights most heavily on what I will remember most, not what i will find when I look it up on paper in ten years. :)

Pretty much.  I would take this winter 100x over vs a winter with a single big storm, which seems to be all that some people want.  Look at 1986-87.  Here in Ohio, people remember that one April storm and think the winter was decent, but it was horribly lame up to that event with very little winter weather to speak of.  Even with the April storm, the winter still ended up 5" below normal and warmer than average.  Or look at 1998-99.  That was a 40"+ winter and I bet the people complaining remember it more fondly than they do this winter, but that winter had only 2 weeks of winter in January and had only one more 6" event than this winter did yet 2012-2013 has already surpased 1998-99.  It was also much warmer than average and much warmer than this winter. Perception usually doesn't match reality and if we're going to claim the 17th snowiest winter in 133 years was a dud, then yeah, we've definitely become spoiled and unrealistic about how winter is supposed to be in the Ohio Valley.   

One interesting statistic I've noticed is the ratio of days with a trace or more of snowfall, vs. the number with 1.5 inches or more snowfall.  That ratio is in the range of 3 to 5 pretty much no matter where you are.  Here are some sample cities (as taken from USA Today Weather Almanac).  First figure is number of days per year with snow, second is number of days per year with 1.5 inches or more snow, third is the ratio (which I computed). 

Columbus, OH 56/11=5.1

Indianapolis, IN 46/10=4.6

Chicago, IL 62/17=3.6

Kansas City, MO 34/9=3.8

Wichita, KS 23/8=2.9

Pittsburgh, PA 82/17=4.8

Philadelphia,PA 27/10=2.7

Charleston, WV 51/13=3.9

Madison,WI 74/18=4.1

Minneapolis,MN 80/21=3.8

New York, NY 28/10=2.8

Richmond, VA 6/2=3.0

Buffalo, NY 129/36=3.6

Baltimore, MD 23/8=2.9

Denver, CO 75/27=2.8

Omaha,NE 43/14=3.1

I'd be willing to bet that there is a similarly large ratio between say 1.5 inch events and 6 inch events.  No place gets just big storms.  Granted, I guess Columbus did come out the worst of the above 14 cities I picked at random, but there is not much of a difference in the ratio between the best and the worst.

Regardless, we all have different opinions. My scale weights most heavily on what I will remember most, not what i will find when I look it up on paper in ten years. :)

In total agreement Buckeye-----Those who did not experience 74 or 78 will probably never understand . There is saying ,  " You are what you were when" and I think that applies in this case.....

Archived