• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Ohio and surrounding states (Let's talk winter!)

Steve

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I don't see how models are showing 6"+ around Dayton and then everything hitting a wall for Columbus and east.  I just don't see that happening with the way this system is moving.  The WTOD may make some appearance, but I don't think it'll be a matter of no or little precipitation around.  I still think 4-6" is a good bet at this point.

Personally, I don't see how models are showing 6"+ around Dayton and then everything hitting a wall for Columbus and east.  I just don't see that happening with the way this system is moving.  The WTOD may make some appearance, but I don't think it'll be a matter of no or little precipitation around.  I still think 4-6" is a good bet at this point.

I'm guessing it has to do with the timing of the transfer?

I'm guessing it has to do with the timing of the transfer?

Yeah, but for the snow maps to verify as shown, there would have to be a bad transfer timing combined with WTOD, which is possible, but I'm still not sure how the snow goes from 6-8" in Dayton to almost nothing 60 miles to the east in a westward-moving storm.  Never seen that before, or at least not something that's verified.

My worry is the timing of the event - daylight hours in March. It may be difficult with marginal temps for accumulating snow. In March 2008 most of that event was at night and we were colder.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the precip is supposed to fall after 7pm, correct? That would be after sunset.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the precip is supposed to fall after 7pm, correct? That would be after sunset.

It looks to start out as rain during the day and change over to snow later this evening, at least that's what appears to be the case. Right now it's anyone's guess how this will play out here.

Be prepared central Ohioans...this could be one hell of a frustrating wild evening.

if RAP is correct, CMH will be about the last area to changeover.   On the good side, it will be a pretty violent crash of the 850's and mod to heavy rain will probably switch immediately to heavy snow.   Million dollar question is when and how long?

Interestingly the RUC strengthens the low to 995 over Athens OH.

If I had to make a guess, I'd go with 2-3" of cement falling in about a 3 hour period.

post-622-0-59770100-1362488168_thumb.jpg

Be prepared central Ohioans...this could be one hell of a frustrating wild evening.

if RAP is correct, CMH will be about the last area to changeover. On the good side, it will be a pretty violent crash of the 850's and mod to heavy rain will probably switch immediately to heavy snow. Million dollar question is when and how long?

Interestingly the RUC strengthens the low to 995 over Athens OH.

If I had to make a guess, I'd go with 2-3" of cement falling in about a 3 hour period.

I'd prefer the RAP as I believe in that scenario the cold sector precip would hang on longer and I'd imagine heights would crash faster with it being more wound up.

Looking at the text data, the change to snow happens somewhere between hour 15 and hour 18.  The problem is in this period it prints out.41" of qpf!  Hard to know how much, if any falls as snow.  After that, .28" of qpf falls in the form of snow.  So I guess the NAM has 3" for sure, but more possible during that thumping.

Looking at the text data, the change to snow happens somewhere between hour 15 and hour 18.  The problem is in this period it prints out.41" of qpf!  Hard to know how much, if any falls as snow.  After that, .28" of qpf falls in the form of snow.  So I guess the NAM has 3" for sure, but more possible during that thumping.

most models seem to indicate a much later changeover time than what I heard from the local mets, (they are saying around 7pm with heaviest wrapping up around midnite),  yet models seem to show the changeover around midnite.   Not sure if there is a bias either way.   Euro has consistently shown the low moving east across KY, while the RAP is showing the low moving into central OH.     That is also causing the progged later changeover.   Will be interesting to see which model fails.

currently getting sleet with a few flakes right now.

I'd prefer the RAP as I believe in that scenario the cold sector precip would hang on longer and I'd imagine heights would crash faster with it being more wound up.

looks like the RAP is starting to correct itself. Trending further southeast with the low and a quicker changeover. Now it's showing the 850 crash around 10pm vs. earlier runs around midnite. I would imagine it will continue the trend....correction.

I noticed PIT upgraded Muskingum to a warning with 5-8. Considering they are more susceptable to a later changeover and dryslotting by the transfer, that might bode well for us further west.

also:   it's snowing/sleeting here in Westerville.  I know it's nothing to do with the main show and will eventually go to rain....but I'm still surprised to see flakes at this time.

The radar looks pretty good..i really don't believe the rain will last long...best guesses on what we might get from this as far as accumilations...because I have heard it all!!

Right now, I'm guessing about 4" here in Westerville. Out your way it gets even more tricky....I could see a serious screw job from here to KPIT but I'd go with about 3" where you are which I believe is to the ENE of here.

Archived