• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Ohio and surrounding states (Let's talk winter!)

Steve

euro says....

what clipper? Like dilly said above....pretty boring stretch ahead. At this point I'd rather it be boring with a torch than boring with cold.

The 12z Euro has 0.17" of QPF all snow this weekend.  Granted it is extended out over about 24 hours, but better than nothing. 

It looks like a weak clipper could also bring some snow Thursday night, although models are focusing that a bit south of Columbus.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not much on tap for the next two weeks. Beginning to look like another clunker of a winter.

Seems like especially this winter that the systems we catch way out in the future end up not being so good for us, so that may not be such a bad thing to have models looking boring at this point.  With the MJO heading towards phase 8, I could see us cashing in a bit.  Might be more in the form of clippers, but hey better than nothing!

Seems like especially this winter that the systems we catch way out in the future end up not being so good for us, so that may not be such a bad thing to have models looking boring at this point. With the MJO heading towards phase 8, I could see us cashing in a bit. Might be more in the form of clippers, but hey better than nothing!

Id rather have nothing and warm than cold and 1 or 2 inches here and there.

Marginal severe threat for southern part of the state through the morning hours...QLCS maintaining itself decently with 55+ dew points over much of southern OH and a very strong LLJ...will probably loose some organization as it translates east of the better instability but any stronger line segments left over will have the chance to bring down marginally severe gusts as all of that pushes through this morning.

not bad....10" of snow over the next 6 days.

Reminds me of a system back in the early 90's.   It was late winter and an upper level low parked itself over MI and it snowed continuously for 3 days (over a weekend), by sunday night we had gotten about 9".

I will take this all day! Fingers crossed. I have said for 2 years now that I have missed the clipper train! Bring it!

I will take this all day! Fingers crossed. I have said for 2 years now that I have missed the clipper train! Bring it!

yea, absolutely especially since the warm up is still on schedule after midweek next week.   I'm sure the gfs is a bit overdone to say the least, but cut it in half and you're still looking at 4 or 5"

yea, absolutely especially since the warm up is still on schedule after midweek next week.   I'm sure the gfs is a bit overdone to say the least, but cut it in half and you're still looking at 4 or 5"

Yeah, I think a general 3-6 seems reasonable.The one (I think it is Mon-Tues) looks most interesting. The warm up so far on the GFS seems a little less harsh then what we saw this week, but that can change. Maybe another re-load after mid-month?

Yeah, I think a general 3-6 seems reasonable.The one (I think it is Mon-Tues) looks most interesting. The warm up so far on the GFS seems a little less harsh then what we saw this week, but that can change. Maybe another re-load after mid-month?

I agree, mon/tues has my interest for something 'more' substantial.   12zGGEM is on board as well.  

not bad....10" of snow over the next 6 days.

Reminds me of a system back in the early 90's.   It was late winter and an upper level low parked itself over MI and it snowed (lightly but continuously) for 3 days (over a weekend), by sunday night we had gotten about 9".

January 20-24, 1995: 10.2"

As for the upcoming week, it should push Columbus close to the seasonal snowfall average as we're already past the 20" mark.  Seems a safe bet that the winter ends up with above normal snowfall.  Even with the warmer temps, it's a huge improvemet over last winter.

January 20-24, 1995: 10.2"

As for the upcoming week, it should push Columbus close to the seasonal snowfall average as we're already past the 20" mark.  Seems a safe bet that the winter ends up with above normal snowfall.  Even with the warmer temps, it's a huge improvemet over last winter.

jbcmh da man!    I knew you'd come thru with the info on that.   I wasn't 100% sure if my memory served me correctly but pretty close...although it wasn't 'early' 90's and I was about an inch short.   But yes, that was an interesting way to pick up 10" of snow....and now we know it's possible

1995 was actually from a developing low pressure system that hung around. This is just impluses pushing around the northern jet as it retreats back up into Canada over the next week.

From what I recall it was a closed upper low over the great lakes that just sat and spun.   You are correct, unlike the upcoming pattern it was not a parade of clippers.

edit: actually looking at the maps during that timeframe, it was an upper low over eastern greatlakes that slowly migrated into upstate NY and eventually opened up.

I've been driving around the last couple hours between New Albany and Westerville and what an odd afternoon!  One minute you're in a raging blizzard, the next it's a bright sunny day, then back to a blizzard, then back to sunny.  Just now I had a raging blizzard AND a VERY BRIGHT sun out at the same time which made visibility just horrific.  It's incredible sight to see such heavy snow illuminated by the bright sun!  What an afternoon!.

jbcmh da man!    I knew you'd come thru with the info on that.   I wasn't 100% sure if my memory served me correctly but pretty close...although it wasn't 'early' 90's and I was about an inch short.   But yes, that was an interesting way to pick up 10" of snow....and now we know it's possible

You were even right that it occurred over a weekend.  Began on a Friday and ended on a Tuesday.

Doesn't look like ILN is buying into the gfs's 10" over the next 5 days scenario.  Only mention of accums are 'light' and on Saturday

.SHORT TERM /6 AM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT/...
CORE OF COLD AIR WILL BE OVER THE FORECAST AREA AT THE BEGINNING
OF THE PERIOD. WIND CHILL WILL STILL BE A CONCERN EARLY IN THE
MORNING. HIGH PRESSURE WILL PASS SOUTH OF THE REGION DURING THE
DAY. TEMPERATURES WILL STRUGGLE TO RISE WITH READINGS ONLY GETTING
INTO THE MID TEENS TO LOWER 20S.

WARM AIR ADVECTION WILL DEVELOP ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE HIGH AND
AHEAD OF THE NEXT APPROACHING SYSTEM. THIS WILL KEEP TEMPERATURES
FROM FALLING TOO MUCH FRIDAY NIGHT AND WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED TO
SEE SOME RISES LATER IN THE NIGHT.

A CLIPPER WILL DROP INTO THE REGION ON SATURDAY. EXPECT SNOW TO
DEVELOP IN THE MORNING AND CONTINUE THROUGH MUCH OF THE DAY. IT
MAY TEMPORARILY TAPER OFF LATER SATURDAY INTO SATURDAY EVENING
BEFORE PICKING UP AGAIN AS A SECONDARY SHORT WAVE QUICKLY DROPS IN
BEHIND THE INITIAL SYSTEM. LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED DURING
THIS TIME.

.LONG TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH THURSDAY/...
AN UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE THROUGH THE FA
SUNDAY MORNING BEFORE BEGINNING TO MOVE OUT OF THE AREA DURING THE
AFTERNOON HOURS.  SNOW WILL COME TO AN END BY SUNDAY NIGHT ACROSS
THE REGION AS THE DISTURBANCE EXITS THE AREA.

DRY CONDITIONS AND HIGH PRESSURE WILL BRIEFLY BE IN PLACE SUNDAY
NIGHT.  ADDITIONAL DISTURBANCES WILL WORK INTO THE FA MONDAY INTO
MONDAY NIGHT AND THEN AGAIN ON TUESDAY INTO TUESDAY EVENING.
TEMPERATURE PROFILES ARE COLD ENOUGH THAT PRECIPITATION WILL
GENERALLY BE IN THE FORM OF SNOW.  CLOUD COVER WILL BEGIN TO
DECREASE ACROSS THE AREA LATE TUESDAY NIGHT ALLOWING TEMPERATURES TO
DROP ACROSS THE REGION INTO THE TEENS TO LOW 20S.

HIGH PRESSURE WILL WORK INTO THE AREA ON WEDNESDAY AND MOVE EAST OF
THE REGION ON THURSDAY.  SOUTHERLY FLOW WILL INCREASE ACROSS THE
AREA ON THURSDAY AND TEMPERATURES WILL INCREASE INTO THE 40S.
PRECIPITATION WILL BEGIN TO WORK INTO WESTERN PORTIONS OF THE FA
DURING THE AFTERNOON HOURS ON THURSDAY AS A COLD FRONT BEGINS TO
APPROACH THE AREA.  PRECIPITATION WILL BECOME MORE WIDESPREAD
THURSDAY NIGHT AS THE COLD FRONT BEGINS TO MOVE INTO THE FA.

Nice to return to winter today...saw 0.3" this morning with some nice fluffy snow showers...after that melted we have recoated the ground and have another couple of nice snow showers working this way...maybe will have a half inch to inch on the ground by morning.

Saturday into Saturday night looks somewhat interesting...may snow non-stop from Saturday morning to Sunday morning across a good chunk of the state. Saturday some WAA ahead of a weak shortwave and modest mid-level lift should help generate several hours of generally light snow across much of the state. Saturday night a better shot at some mid-level lift as a nice mid-level shortwave/speed max glances Ohio nicely...may see some moderate bursts of snow Saturday night. All in all thanks to duration I'd be shocked if most of us don't see 2"+ Saturday and Saturday night...with local amounts of 4-5" over the 24-30 hour period wherever some better banding can develop...which will push advisory criteria outside of northern Ohio. Ratios look decent with this first clipper (really two small little clippers) which should help.

Monday into Tuesday looks potentially more interesting...the GFS is suggesting perhaps another 1-2 punch like we'll see on Saturday...the Euro/Canadian appear to show a more consolidated low pressure. Either way...there may be a hint of southern stream moisture involved and the models are showing the PV consolidating a bit to our northeast, giving the clipper a little more room to amplify as it rounds the base of the trough over the Ohio Valley. Right now some decent mid-level WAA is being shown with this clipper (or clippers) Monday-Tuesday along with some nice divergence thanks to a nice upper level jet streak exiting to the east and another diving in from the northwest. Given this clipper may be a little more intense it may track a little farther than Saturday-Saturday night's clippers...however, decent confluence aloft is still being shown just to our northeast so it shouldn't track so far north that it misses central/southern Ohio completely. The potential is there for several inches again Monday-Tuesday if things come together as currently suggested...the highest risk for bust is far southern and southwestern Ohio right now it appears. Ratios again look like they should be above 10:1...likely closer to 15:1 with the Monday-Tuesday system (or systems if the GFS verifies) assuming it doesn't track too far north...which will help.

Wow that was a nice squall that just pushed through here...about an inch in 20 minutes. Looks good for light to occasionally moderate snow for a few more hours...may end up with 1.5-2" total by sunrise before the clipper parade begins. Maybe a little more...that 0.9" (just measured quickly) was on top of the 0.2" already down from the light snow ongoing earlier this evening...so already 1.1" on the ground...and saw 0.3" this morning that melted.

Ganahl's forecast for the clippers: 1-2", 1-2", 1-3". Seems a bit conservative but then again he's probably still licking his wounds from that 9" call a few days before last Fridays dud.

Is that weekend, Mon, Tues?

I would lean more towards 2-4 over the weekend, 1-2 Monday (models trending a bit south), and then maybe 1-2 Tuesday.  Although if the south trend happens for Tuesday, we could see the higher end of that.

Archived