• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2012 General Discussion

Powerball

Trapperman, where in Minnesota do you live? Def looks like a chance of some backside snow with the midweek system in N/C Minnesota.

East central/northern metro. I'll believe it when I see it. Been such a long time since I've seen cold air of this magnitude that it's almost eerie. Waiting for the models to flop and torch us, lol.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

East central/northern metro. I'll believe it when I see it. Been such a long time since I've seen cold air of this magnitude that it's almost eerie. Waiting for the models to flop and torch us, lol.

I'm sure you're fine up there with regards to the trough. The system will probably give the Minneapolis area a cold rain, with the snow probably limited to the International Falls region and a tad south of there.

I believe MKX is still doing them until about next week. Madison has had 2 freezes so far, both at 32 °F, so regions around here and west are near the end of growing season for sure but no hard freezes except maybe in some of the valleys, so farmers who used countermeasures around Madison are probably still growing. Towards Lake Michigan there probably hasn't even been a widespread light freeze.

There's been a light frost here, two actually. So at least the frost has made it to 4 miles from the lake, maybe 3 miles. Next week no doubt areas right up the shore will see 32°, probably upper 20s here at night.

I'm going to make a bold statement and say snow will make it down to the Twin Cities metro - if that system comes true next week. Probably some backlash snow showers for Wausau, Steven's Point, maybe just north of Green Bay also.

It hasn't even dropped below 40 here yet, and this is in one of the coldest locations in Ohio. The long-term average first freezing temperatures occur around October 5. I don't even think we've seen more than patchy frost in the usual low-lying spots.

Akron & Mansfield have already had 2 days in the 30s, Toledo has had 3 (low of 35F).

This is the first September since 1995 that DTW had two days in the 30s. Light frosts, but certainly no freeze....and thats how it should be. October should be another story.

The last serious early-season cold snap around here (western suburbs of Chicago) was late October 1991, when we had a couple of days with high temps near or slightly below freezing. That's approximately 25-30 degrees below normal. Of course that was in the aftermath of the Halloween storm that destroyed you with snow in MN. :)

We've seen some decent "chilly" outbreaks in October here over the past 10 years...but nothing really significant. When I say "significant", I'm thinking 1.5 or 2 standard deviations below normal...i.e., the 85th-90th percentile of cold days. Of course I'm just going off memory...so I could have missed a cold outbreak or two.

The last serious early-season cold snap around here (western suburbs of Chicago) was late October 1991, when we had a couple of days with high temps near or slightly below freezing. That's approximately 25-30 degrees below normal. Of course that was in the aftermath of the Halloween storm that destroyed you with snow in MN. :)

We've seen some decent "chilly" outbreaks in October here over the past 10 years...but nothing really significant. When I say "significant", I'm thinking 1.5 or 2 standard deviations below normal...i.e., the 85th-90th percentile of cold days. Of course I'm just going off memory...so I could have missed a cold outbreak or two.

October 6-8th, 2000 was a decent shot of cold air. Highs in the low to mid 40s over NE IL, SE WI. Lows in the mid to upper 20s. What dates covered the October 1991 cold snap?

Highs next Wednesday have been taken down here to the mid 70s vs. near 80°.

Not to butt in, but that cold snap happened in early November 1991.

ORD Max/min temps (daily departure)

Nov 2: 32/18 (-21)

Nov 3: 24/13 (-26)

Nov 4: 25/11 (-27)

Nov 5: 38/17 (-17)

Nov 6: 36/19 (-16)

Nov 7: 27/13 (-24)

Nov 8: 32/11 (-21)

Nov 9: 37/14 (-17)

That November was the 14th coldest on record for Chicago.

For MBY, LAF max/min temps during that stretch, sans daily departures.

Nov 2: 33/24

Nov 3: 25/17

Nov 4: 27/18

Nov 5: 38/19

Nov 6: 39/26

Nov 7: 29/13

Nov 8: 31/10

Nov 9: 39/12

Nov 10: 46/19

Read in today's papers that Environment Canada is calling for a warm October with highs in the 20s through the month out here in Southern Ontario. Sounds pleasant, but with the open wounds of last winter still visible anything on the "above normal temp" front still sounds harsh...

I'm riding the warm October = following winter being snowy bus really hard. It really hasn't failed since about 1999.

And do you have a link for that article? I mean it's one thing to prog a warm October, but it seems kinda out there to be calling for "20s throughout the month" (maybe it was an exaggerated paraphrase on your part?). Avg. high temp in October is probably around 12c. To be calling for +8 or greater departures for most days would be an exceptional amount of warmth. Something most mets would shy away from forecasting (given the high bust potential).

Not to butt in, but that cold snap happened in early November 1991.

ORD Max/min temps (daily departure)

Nov 2: 32/18 (-21)

Nov 3: 24/13 (-26)

Nov 4: 25/11 (-27)

Nov 5: 38/17 (-17)

Nov 6: 36/19 (-16)

Nov 7: 27/13 (-24)

Nov 8: 32/11 (-21)

Nov 9: 37/14 (-17)

That November was the 14th coldest on record for Chicago.

For MBY, LAF max/min temps during that stretch, sans daily departures.

Nov 2: 33/24

Nov 3: 25/17

Nov 4: 27/18

Nov 5: 38/19

Nov 6: 39/26

Nov 7: 29/13

Nov 8: 31/10

Nov 9: 39/12

Nov 10: 46/19

Yes, that's correct...I was a few days off. Thanks for posting the numbers...I never realized how long that cold snap lasted. Very impressive.

October 6-8th, 2000 was a decent shot of cold air. Highs in the low to mid 40s over NE IL, SE WI. Lows in the mid to upper 20s. What dates covered the October 1991 cold snap?

Highs next Wednesday have been taken down here to the mid 70s vs. near 80°.

Good catch on the cold in 2000! As ChicagoWx posted below, the 1991 cold snap actually began in early November.

The most irritating thing about this fall involves my lawn. This month is usually a great time to recover the lawn, its been to dry to really recover. I'm going to weed wack the dead grass to the soil and put more Scott's EZ seed down, but I'm worried the upcoming cold will stunt it now.

What a terrible year for grass.

Jon

I'm riding the warm October = following winter being snowy bus really hard. It really hasn't failed since about 1999.

And do you have a link for that article? I mean it's one thing to prog a warm October, but it seems kinda out there to be calling for "20s throughout the month" (maybe it was an exaggerated paraphrase on your part?). Avg. high temp in October is probably around 12c. To be calling for +8 or greater departures for most days would be an exceptional amount of warmth. Something most mets would shy away from forecasting (given the high bust potential).

“We could still see temperatures above 20 (degrees Celsius),” said David Phillips, senior climatologist at Environment Canada.

http://www.therecord.com/news/local/article/809123--warm-days-still-ahead

I figured that with the recent temps hovering around 20C, Mr. Phillips statement meant it would continue into October.

I thought I saw a greenish glow earlier to the north. Was pretty faint though.

Edit: There is a very wide halo around the harvest moon tonight - looks awesome!

High clouds are now ruining my view to the north though.

Archived