Toothache
2012 Fall Banter Thread

Snow_Miser

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If 12Z GFS snow dreams could come true:

http://raleighwx.ame...zgfssnow360.gif

At least one thing you can say is that you are finally in a part of the year when snow is climatologically possible...and not some pipe dream like in October when it takes a miracle...indeed, the complete absence of snow during the month would be climatologically unlikely.

indeed. mine and many others. what is not my mere opinion, though, is his complete lack of a strong grasp on the english language, his intentionally vague wording, and his multiple-scenario veiled forecasting where he really can't lose.

You are brilliant! Who are the many others? The ones that live and die with every model run and change their minds every three hours?

He does seem to be doing very well so im not sure he really cares what a few may think on this forum.

So mr know it all...what's your forecast for the rest of the month? And let's not be so vague.

Last winter just keeps replaying in my mind I realize things are diff this winter but you have to admit this is exactly how it started last year we were always waiting for the change to come witch of course never did.. I hope this year it does change but can't help to think about what happend last winter!!!!

Last winter just keeps replaying in my mind I realize things are diff this winter but you have to admit this is exactly how it started last year we were always waiting for the change to come witch of course never did.. I hope this year it does change but can't help to think about what happend last winter!!!!

:blink:

It already snowed twice and the pattern coming up is looking good. Haven't you been reading the main thread?

There's a name for that, it's called posttraumatic stress disorder. In this case it looks induced by an accumulation of panic attacks from model teasing and let-downs over the past year. Prognosis: Outlook not so good

There's a name for that, it's called posttraumatic stress disorder. In this case it looks induced by an accumulation of panic attacks from model teasing and let-downs over the past year. Prognosis: Outlook not so good

Good one, haha! Though I think all of us to a certain degree are experiencing this a bit.

18z GFS has a 969mb low centered about 150 miles off the NJ Coast at 216 hrs, with nice wrap around into our area, with precip amounts over 1 inch in most areas within 20 miles of the coast, and over a half inch back to the Delaware River. A little too warm for snow though taken verbatim, but this has massive potential. Huge hit.

18z gfs ensemble mean amazingly has a very strong signal for the storm next Wednesday as it has a 996mb low in almost the exact same spot as the operational run, but 12 hrs earlier at 204 hrs, and it is much colder, with 850's below zero for basically everyone.

Issue is though if you look at the surface charts their is still a primary that eventually dies in mich which then hands off its energy to the coastal. So at the surface or just above you get southerly winds and it warms the bl to much even though the upper levels are colder.

Issue is though if you look at the surface charts their is still a primary that eventually dies in mich which then hands off its energy to the coastal. So at the surface or just above you get southerly winds and it warms the bl to much even though the upper levels are colder.

Too early to focus on details like the BL temperature when this event is still 8-9 days out. The mean shows a pretty strong signal for a storm, which is the main thing that matters at this point.

Too early to focus on details like the BL temperature when this event is still 8-9 days out. The mean shows a pretty strong signal for a storm, which is the main thing that matters at this point.

Then why talk about a storm 8-9 days from now? Sure the bl temps will change as well as the track, so i don't see why you can't talk about that? I if you get a primary that dies in mich, regardless or bl temps that is not a snowy setup for nyc at all.. Sure it may start as snow but it would go to rain.

Then why talk about a storm 8-9 days from now? Sure the bl temps will change as well as the track, so i don't see why you can't talk about that? I if you get a primary that dies in mich, regardless or bl temps that is not a snowy setup for nyc at all.. Sure it may start as snow but it would go to rain.

I think you misunderstand....it is the "dying" (actual term is filling..indicating a rise in pressure) that allows a transfer of energy to a coastal or secondary low...and that cyclogenesis is generally a cooling process in this area rather than a warming one....often associated with a shift of wind into the NE...ie April 6,1982.

I can't believe how terrible this thread is.

The mets that have blogs hype immensely so you keep reading their blogs. DT has gotten more sensationalized over the years (surprisingly). Steve D has more presence but he was just awful to begin with.. beating a decaying corpse of a horse but Valentine's Day Storm 2007 was such a dreadful forecast on his part and he never wavered until after the sleet was falling.

But yes, of course they want you to think it's going to snow. Because no-one pays attention to the weather during the winter if it's not going to snow. I've literally only been checking the EURO twice a day because there's nothing going on. I've been ignoring the daily weather forecast for a while now & it's been reliably warm. Was quite surprised at the rain this weekend but looks like we're back to warmth next week.

I accidentally wore my parka out today because it was raining so I assumed it would be cold. Wrong. It was like a sauna out today. Awful.

Archived