joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September 3rd-5th Severe Weather Threat

Brewers

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to guess winds were about 45 mph here, and that was primarily with the OFB. Next line of storms in NC Iowa looks like it's about to approach the same area that just got rocked with the first line, although I doubt they maintain their intensity past the WI/IA/IL border area.

45 mph weenie estimate is nothing to feel ripped off about. congrats. low to mid 20's gust here at best. Nice soaking light rain to compliment this mornings 1"+ deluge should probably end the watering season unless we go on a long stretch of dry weather to go with the fall torch.

45 mph weenie estimate is nothing to feel ripped off about. congrats. low to mid 20's gust here at best. Nice soaking light rain to compliment this mornings 1"+ deluge should probably end the watering season unless we go on a long stretch of dry weather to go with the fall torch.

MKE gusted to 39mph. Congrats.

I agree, but it was not a weenie estimate, unless you think the UW-Milwaukee report was a student weenie estimate, which it might have been. However, it was good enough to be an official report, and that is why I mentioned 45 mph. You didn't even get the more intense part of the storm up here, so I wouldn't expect you to have much more than 30-35 mph winds.

Apparently a large tree took out a corner of a house a few streets over according to a neighbor. Must have been a weak tree, or one that was already damaged in a previous storm. Weird how that happens sometimes.

Those elevated sups in northeast Iowa are monsters. They've been impressive for the last hour or two up that way. Going to be interesting to see how that complex moving through northern Iowa interacts with those and the strung out outflow boundary near I-80 later in the night.

why would my gust front winds be less than yours. your best storm winds were higher with the rain than the gust front then?

.08" of rain for the hr at the airport.. must be so windy the rain is having a hard time being measured lulz.

Admittedly like I said I'm going off of the estimated winds at UWM. I know they were at least 30-35 mph with the gust front, perhaps more. The actual storm winds were probably similar. The main story here is the rain anyway, and the potential for another round or two to add to the rain in the next 24 hours.

Getting some pretty good backwash rains right now with some thunder to boot. Cyclone - those Iowa storms being fueled by the LLJ tonight?

Actually looks like the LLJ holds over the western half of Iowa tonight. This could promote backbuilding storms west of I-35 much of the night. That could have an impact on how things evolve tomorrow.

Latest scans looking a little less impressive on the northern Iowa storms. Outflow starting to outpace the main line. Confidence in severe downstream is beginning to decline.

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH NUMBER 619

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

940 AM CDT WED SEP 5 2012

The NWS storm prediction center has issued a

severe thunderstorm watch for portions of

central and eastern illinois

central and southern indiana

northern kentucky

effective this wednesday morning and afternoon from 940 AM until

500 PM CDT.

hail to 1.5 inches in diameter, thunderstorm wind gusts to 70

mph, and dangerous lightning are possible in these areas.

the severe thunderstorm watch area is approximately along and 90

statute miles east and west of a line from 45 miles north of

indianapolis indiana to 40 miles west southwest of evansville

indiana. for a complete depiction of the watch see the

associated watch outline update (wous64 kwns wou9).

remember, a severe thunderstorm watch means conditions are

favorable for severe thunderstorms in and close to the watch

area. persons in these areas should be on the lookout for

threatening weather conditions and listen for later statements

and possible warnings. severe thunderstorms can and occasionally

do produce tornadoes.

discussion, broken sqln in S cntrl il expected to continue

generally E or ESE across the remainder of il and into parts of

ind/ky later today. activity is, in part, likely supported by an

impulse in the srn stream jet /extending roughly w-e through cntrl

parts of ks-mo/. the sqln may be enhanced later this morning by

strong sfc heating and light ssely low-lvl flow to its east. while

area wind profiles appear somewhat disorganized attm, wind field

expected to become more favorable for forward-propagation by midday.

coupled with relatively steep mid lvl lapse rates and ample low-lvl

moisture, setup may yield both dmgg wind and svr hail.

aviation, a few severe thunderstorms with hail surface and aloft

to 1.5 inches. extreme turbulence and surface wind gusts to 60

knots. a few cumulonimbi with maximum tops to 500. mean storm

motion vector 28030.

...corfidi

Things looked better for a decent wind event around here yesterday but the timing on the second MCS couldn't have been much worse...might still see a couple decent cells well south of our area but, meh.

I think W/SW of Peoria where it's going to clear first will be the initiation point for some nice cells this afternoon.

Archived