joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2012 Fall Discussion

Tropical

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trends eventually die out too. The longer we go with above normal months, the higher the chance of that string breaking.

I expect October to be within 0.5° of normal for most of the subforum area.

I'm a believer in the rubber band theory. Hopefully the warmth will last until late November, then that rubber band will snap Tropical in the a**.

So ready for Fall. Crisp nights, trees turning colors.....a few people joked the drought and early greenup will have trees bare by late September. This of course is not happening, I will go with peak Fall color Oct 15-25 here.

It's very unlikely, but not impossible if we get some record-breaking cold weather.

So ready for Fall. Crisp nights, trees turning colors.....a few people joked the drought and early greenup will have trees bare by late September. This of course is not happening, I will go with peak Fall color Oct 15-25 here.

FWIW, around here trees are starting to show colors already. Things have been wet, so I'm thinking it's due to the early green up and after effects from the drought that is starting to turn the leaves. Seeing mainly yellow, but also some orange now.

FWIW, around here trees are starting to show colors already. Things have been wet, so I'm thinking it's due to the early green up and after effects from the drought that is starting to turn the leaves. Seeing mainly yellow, but also some orange now.

not even close here but it's pretty normal for me to be at least a couple weeks behind my parents out in the sticks

El Nino is basically here, suggesting a more active subtropical jet and increased storminess in general. Also increased warm Pacific air intrusions so we should expect periods of melt during the winter. At the same time there's still good potential for Arctic outbreaks from the increased storminess. It takes awhile for the atmospheric circulation to come into equilibrium with El-Nino so it might be a little while until it becomes noticeable, but it could help us get some good Fall storms. http://www.cpc.ncep....y/ensodisc.html

Some trees have started showing color here as well, thats kinda what started the discussions about a very early leaf drop. But make no mistake, the early September color is very spotty....so it will be interesting to see how close my guess is.....going with Oct 15-25 for peak color. Many years lately it seems peak is anywhere from Oct 20-Nov 5 (the latest Ive ever seen was 2007 when peak was like Nov 1-10 with a few stragglers holding on til Nov 15-20).

With regards to fall color - The main newspaper out of Kenosha, WI posted a good article on the early color showing up in the southeast part of the state. Wisconsin DNR is expecting peak colors as early as the last week in September! They go onto say the trees have have been stressed by the drought, but the recent rains are not enough to prevent a early color show. Trees should fall back into sync if we have a more typical winter and spring - they conclude.

It will be something if peak color comes that early and if the trees are bare by the second week of October!

Some trees have started showing color here as well, thats kinda what started the discussions about a very early leaf drop. But make no mistake, the early September color is very spotty....so it will be interesting to see how close my guess is.....going with Oct 15-25 for peak color. Many years lately it seems peak is anywhere from Oct 20-Nov 5 (the latest Ive ever seen was 2007 when peak was like Nov 1-10 with a few stragglers holding on til Nov 15-20).

Looking good for a nice winter if leaves fall early. 07-08 was cold and snowy. I follow the saying below each fall and it's almost always accurate:

When leaves fall early,

Fall and Winter will be mild;

When leaves fall late,

Winter will be severe.

Looking good for a nice winter if leaves fall early. 07-08 was cold and snowy. I follow the saying below each fall and it's almost always accurate:

When leaves fall early,

When leaves fall late,

Winter will be severe.

That statement needs evidence to back it up, would be easy to do but a little tedious, just have to compare leaf out dates to the winter avg temperature and snowfall.

But I think there's a little something to it, since the later fall happens the more cold air that builds up in the Arctic, so when the cold air dome is finally unleashed it leads to harsher early winter conditions IF the cold air heads towards North America and not Eurasia. I don't think this would work well during a drought year like this either, we know the trees are turning cause of the drought and not cold air.

The fun thing about weather - you can pretty much find anything to support what you want...

LOL. In all honesty, we will all probably get our fair share of warmth in October. Seems to always happen any way you slice it when we get a big cool down in September. I'm comparing this year to 2004, although the big cooldown happened a month earlier. 04 had record lows in the midwest in August and a 15% tornado day in central Minnesota on October 29th... So maybe Tropical and everyone else can share and share alike.

When leaves fall early,

When leaves fall late,

Winter will be severe.

If squirrels tails are bushy (as they are this year) it will be a harsh winter. i have found this to be true as well.

Archived