• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Happy Thoughts Thread for the 12/19/10 Storm

tornadojay

Hey friends.. I know things trended in the wrong direction last night, but there's still time to trend back in the right direction. We've seen it happen many of times. :thumbsup:

I thought I'd start a "Happy Thoughts" thread to help keep the spirits up. Share a specific memory of a big east coast snow storm we've had in the past. It could be anything that sticks out in your mind.. maybe when your city broke a snowfall record.. maybe when you saw a car buried up to it's roof.... or some news report you saw on TV... anything you want.

For me, I remember the Jan, 1996 storm. I can't remember what news station it was... but we were at the height of the storm. We had already gotten over a foot of snow.. the weather man on TV said take your current accumulation and double it and that would be your final snowfall total.. I was thinking to myself.. "wow! This storm gave and gave already and it's only half over??"

So, share a happy thought and help bring this baby west! :snowman:

January 1996, the day after the storm, i was driving out the road following a large Penndot earth moving machine they were using for snow removal. It was like being in a tunnel, the snow banks beside the road were higher then my Chevy Blazer and my Blazer had a lift and 35" super swamppers... I looked at my wife and said i will never see this again.........

January 1996, the day after the storm, i was driving out the road following a large Penndot earth moving machine they were using for snow removal. It was like being in a tunnel, the snow banks beside the road were higher then my Chevy Blazer and my Blazer had a lift and 35" super swamppers... I looked at my wife and said i will never see this again.........

I said that to my wife as well on 2/7/10

on 2/11/10, with even more confidence, I assured her it would never happen again

This is all I can think of when I keep seeing the GFS. Really amazing how much it looks like it. We can only hope for a miracle like Dec 19 pulled off last year. Looking at the 06z GFS, it is just so damn close to getting us, its sickening.

This iimage was 84 hours out and look at it just sliding out to sea. The GFS right now is still 102 hours out and is RIGHT and I mean RIGHT off the coast.

I don't know. I feel like this storm may surprise us in the end.

Nothing will ever come close to that storm. People are grossly mistaken if they think any storm was even close, that we had last year. Speaking for NYC area specifically.

This is a happy thoughts thread....let the weenies wish and pray and have snow dances in the hopes that happy thoughts will pull the storm in for snow.

(Sung to the tune of Winter Wonderland) :arrowhead:

Snowflakes fly - duepoint's droppin'

Major Low's start a poppin'

The Mets are uptight, on this winter night,

Hoping for a Winter Wonderland.

Weenie's stare at the models,

for a week - that they've followed -

1800 UTC has weenies smiling with glee,

Hoping for a Winter Wonderland.

Eastern blocking Low came out of nowhere -

And that warm air dome has not moved South-

Shortwave action seems to be a slowing'

And damn! the last map run is flattening out!

Later on we're inspired

to see that mixing required

Latest GFS run spells out HECS - and a Ton!

Snowed in, in a winter wonderland!

:arrowhead:

I said that to my wife as well on 2/7/10

on 2/11/10, with even more confidence, I assured her it would never happen again

Well, THAT might never happen again, IMO.

BWI getting 28" then 19.5" in a matter of 5 days....... :snowman:

I shutter to think how much snow '96 would have fallen without sleet-zr mix.... yikes. PHL would have probably gotten 36 inches plus. BWI would have gotten 30+.

Last year, 11pm news on NBC10 the night before 2/10

Hurricane goes speechless and says something like "this is somethiong we may never see again" referring to the proximity of both major storms.

I remember that well. That's why I like Hurricane Schwartz so much. He gets just as giddy as the rest of us when it becomes obvious that a big snowstorm is coming.

Archived