Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Post Tropical Cyclone Debby

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not their fault... NO ONE got it right EXCEPT the GFS.

Even the GFS was off on timing. Actually, although scorned and hated, if not for a less than day long lack of confidence in his stated ideas about pattern recognition, JB was close to correct with his original and final forecast. Just that one in the middle, the near panic about ever changing Euro runs, that did him in.

Despite horrid appearance of Debby, and less than stellar performance by the Euro, I am about glass 5/19th full optimistic that Debby will provide pages more excitement on the forum and at least TS watches in the Carolinas.

msl_uv850_z500!Wind%20850%20and%20mslp!192!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2012062500!!chart.gif

Not their fault... NO ONE got it right EXCEPT the GFS.

It had the right idea, but will it get the forecast right even this close out? Still some big differences in terms of location and time of landfall between the euro and gfs, but if convection continues to struggle near the center..it won't matter much.

One of the worst forecasts by the NHC that I have ever seen.

They had to draw in a forecast somewhere in order to release the advisories, they did their best and missed. I don't have the knowledge to say it was a stupid mistake, I'm guessing based on the info they had it was a reasonable call.

The discussions mentioned unusually low overall confidence and that a major track change could be required. As confidence goes down, obviously so does the value of the point track forecast.

I have to say, I've been so preoccupied with other stuff that the last time I really checked out Debby was Saturday night when it was forecast to be a westward moving hurricane heading for Texas. Of course, now it's a broad, ill-defined tropical storm sloshing itself into the panhandle of Florida. Good news for Texas, but clearly less seductive for hurricane junkies (IE Josh)

They had to draw in a forecast somewhere in order to release the advisories, they did their best and missed. I don't have the knowledge to say it was a stupid mistake, I'm guessing based on the info they had it was a reasonable call.

The discussions mentioned unusually low overall confidence and that a major track change could be required. As confidence goes down, obviously so does the value of the point track forecast.

That, with the majority of the reliable globals, except the GFS, saying it would head West, and even some GFS ensemble members West, it would have taken super natural powers to forecast Florida

And the slower than what might be optimal adjustment East with the track was to avoid "windshield wipers", sudden changes on each model run.

I always suspected the GFS may be right, despite being the outlier, because I have seen cases like this where storms propagate in the shear-ward direction, with the center trying to follow the convection, but as an amateur on a bulletin board, I can have opinions that don't affect anyone, if I had WMO assigned responsibility for the entire Basin and the protection of lives and safety in the US, I probably would have followed the overwhelming model consensus as well.

ETA: Our Red Tagger Phil, if memory serves on previous comments on Debby, probably had the best forecast from days out on Debby as anyone...

Let's remember that parts of North Florida (like the hills north of Tallahassee) are still undergoing extreme drought. They were 30 inches below normal in rainfall last year and, despite all the surrounding rain over the past month or so, didn't get in on the action and are below normal by 6 or 7 inches already this year.

fl_dm.png

So far, Debby has only given that area a little over 2 inches of rain. So this thing needs to sit exactly where it is for a lot longer to help recoup that spot.

You know, this may be the first time ever (at least that I can remember) that I have seen the GFS remain steady and the ECMWF come around after a while into agreement versus the other way around.

Ya, it's pretty clear the GFS outperformed the Euro big time with this one. Not perfect by any means, but much, much better than the Euro. Interesting...

12Z Observations

[attachment=66489]

Are you sure you're not just posting the same image over and over again? :P

You know, this may be the first time ever (at least that I can remember) that I have seen the GFS remain steady and the ECMWF come around after a while into agreement versus the other way around.

I've seen it before with timing of fronts and location of CCB with winter storms, but never something quite this extreme.

Looks like on radar and IR there is a bit of an increase in convection on the north side right now. Should be interesting to see what this does as we go through the day as this to me has been a FAY 2 and has done whatever it wants so far.

I'm looking at that right now. Environment hasn't improved much in terms of moisture or shear since last night, so I'm wondering if it's more just a flash in the pan than a trend.

Alot of the forecast failure can be attributed to the NHC model hugging too much. It's almost like they don't see the actual storm based on their discussions, only the simulated ones.

Lol... I would like to see you do better than them on a regular basis.

Looking a little better?

That convection is fed mostly by the daytime heating of the land. With that said, it's better than what it was.

Looks like one of the mesovortices is close to making landfall. Also, most of the convection that has fired thus far is probably partially due to the frictional convergence occurring as winds are encountering the higher friction of land in Florida. You can see in the radar animation below there is a nearly stationary rainband that has developed as other convective activity is streaming in from the Gulf of Mexico and merging with the band.

14mdhm0.gif

Looks like one of the mesovortices is close to making landfall. Also, most of the convection that has fired thus far is probably partially due to the frictional convergence occurring as winds are encountering the higher friction of land in Florida. You can see in the radar animation below there is a nearly stationary rainband that has developed as other convective activity is streaming in from the Gulf of Mexico and merging with the band.

14mdhm0.gif

Some good frontogenesis there as well, squeezing out all the juice.

Archived