Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June 16th-? Severe Thread

wisconsinwx

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunday could be a very interesting day for srn WI, nrn IL, and NW IN. Looks like a backdoor cold front's gonna be moving down the lake into an very unstable environment, with CAPE values of up to 3500 J/kg likely in place. Add in that there will likely be 40-50 kt of bulk shear and you've got a recipe for a good local severe wx event.

Sunday could be a very interesting day for srn WI, nrn IL, and NW IN.  Looks like a backdoor cold front's gonna be moving down the lake into an very unstable environment, with CAPE values of up to 3500 J/kg likely in place.  Add in that there will likely be 40-50 kt of bulk shear and you've got a recipe for a good local severe wx event.

One thing that bothers me a little is the weak low level flow. But something worth watching given the boring stretch.

Sunday could be a very interesting day for srn WI, nrn IL, and NW IN. Looks like a backdoor cold front's gonna be moving down the lake into an very unstable environment, with CAPE values of up to 3500 J/kg likely in place. Add in that there will likely be 40-50 kt of bulk shear and you've got a recipe for a good local severe wx event.

I didn't realize how much CAPE was expected. Hopefully this thing slows down a tad, otherwise it will probably come through in the morning by the looks of it.

Anyone have any idea why SPC doesn't have a slight risk for tomorrow across n/c IL into n/c IN? 12z data from NAM/GFS is suggesting surface based CAPE values ranging from the 1500-3000 overlapped by 30-50 kts of 0-6 km bulk shear. I see no reason why storms would not fire along the cold front in the late afternoon/early evening in an moderate-to high instability situation with little to no CIN in the area after it is burned off by the hot and humid air. Someone please enlighten me, I'm confused lol...

Anyone have any idea why SPC doesn't have a slight risk for tomorrow across n/c IL into n/c IN? 12z data from NAM/GFS is suggesting surface based CAPE values ranging from the 1500-3000 overlapped by 30-50 kts of 0-6 km bulk shear. I see no reason why storms would not fire along the cold front in the late afternoon/early evening in an moderate-to high instability situation with little to no CIN in the area after it is burned off by the hot and humid air. Someone please enlighten me, I'm confused lol...

I'm guessing that CAPE is being overdone.

SPC throws up a slight risk, then IWX says, "What severe weather?"

AMPLIFICATION OF SW TROUGH THROUGH JAMES BAY XPCD W/SFC CYCLONE

TRACKING THROUGH THE NRN LAKES AS CDFNT TRAILS SWWD AND CROSSES

THROUGH THE OH VALLEY SUN NIGHT. EARLIER ENTHUSIASM WRT THIS SYS HAD

ERODED AS HGT FALL CNTR SHIFTS THROUGH WRN NY SUN NIGHT AND WWD

PORTION FNTL SCALE CIRC DECAYS SUN AFTN. IN ADDN...ERODING MODEL

BASED BNDRY LYR MSTR PROFILES MOST SIG AND PORTEND CONV FAILURE

LIKELY SUN AFTN. THUS TAKING DOWNWARD TRENDING MOS BASED POPS AT

FACE VALUE...WILL CUT GOING POPS CONSIDERABLY AND CONSTRAIN TO LT

AFTN/ERLY EVE. THIS IS FURTHER EXACERBATED BY EWD ADVTN OF ROBUST LL

THERMAL RIDGE AND SUBSTANTIAL MIXING XPCD AGAIN WHICH WHILE FVRG

WARMEST BIAS CORRECTED TEMP GUIDANCE ALSO SUGGESTS MORE SIG LL MSTR

EROSION SIMILAR TO THIS AFTN PLUS THE PRESENCE OF SOME DEGREE OF MID

LVL CAPPING INVERSION. THUS ALL THE MORE REASON TO SCALE BACK IF NOT

ELIMINATE POPS ALTOGETHER WITHIN THE NXT MODEL CYCLE.

SPC maintained the slight risk area over the same areas at 1630z. Sort of a complicated setup with the leftover convection/clouds, and weak nature of the surface boundary. Low-level shear is horrible, but mid-level shear is quite nice with that H5 wind max rolling down the east side of the heat dome. Differential heating boundaries only complicate things. Just gonna have to wait and see how this pans out, but I'm not overly optimistic at this point.

It looks like yet another case of the models struggling in the drought conditions, with SPC biting. This has happened on multiple occasions this season.

THE SLIGHT RISK AREAS WILL ALSO BE REMOVED FROM THE IL AREA AND FROM

THE LOWER GREAT LAKES REGION ATTM. STORMS OVER IL HAVE

DISSIPATED...AND CONVECTION ONGOING INVOF THE LOWER LAKES AREA

REMAINS WEAK -- GIVEN ONLY MINIMAL DESTABILIZATION WHICH HAS

OCCURRED THIS AFTERNOON. WHILE AN ISOLATED STRONGER CELL MAY OCCUR

ACROSS THIS REGION INVOF THE ADVANCING COLD FRONT...ANY WIND/HAIL

POTENTIAL SHOULD REMAIN MARGINAL/ISOLATED.

Archived