joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 31st - June 2nd Storm

andyhb

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in the east we have to hope that new convection south of Fayetteville forms into a nasty little line that holds up and makes it in here around 8-9.

First line has sucked now all hope is on the second line from the Triad to Charlotte looks pretty decent hope it holds up....wont be here for 2-3 hrs though.

Looking at the parameters one has to wonder why this front is not supporting a squall line all the way through NC. I am really surprised by the lack of convection south of RAH......still plenty unstable here east of I-95 and east of Hwy 17 the EHI etc show potential for some tornadic cells like the one near Elizabeth City earlier.

Currently 82 with a 68 DP so its muggy out but if the radar doesnt start firing up soon I think its gonna be a bust for most of central and southern eastern NC .

Seems very isolated like all the other events in NC this spring. I had a good storm leaving work at 5:00 all the way to home. Had some hail, a lot of rain, and some wind. But this event is nothing here compared to what's going on up in Maryland/DC.

Everything so far has tracked and trained just east or west of us today. We did get scraped by one of the I-95 runners and picked up .17", and lost power for about an hour. Impressive winds with an outflow boundary that came through - easily 40-45mph gusts. Lightbulbs are still flickering three hours later, every 7-8 seconds, but when looking at the outage map from Progress energy, there's still 1500+/- without power in our immediate area, so we'll take our blinking lights. Now we'll wait and see if the storms with the actual front bring us anything later on tonight.

Came home today to find significant storm damage on my very own street which is only 0.2 of a mile long. Two residences had been struck by trees blown over by a microburst/downdraft. One car was smashed. This is was all in a small area. I would estimate a wind gust close to 100 mph would have been needed to bring down those old growth oaks/ashes.

Looks like all the 'good stuff' with the front is going to miss us just to the N & W --- these final storms appear to be headed right to the Raleigh & Durham area, although a pretty good outflow is now evident pushing off to the SE. Maybe that will spur some action over this way, 20 miles SE of Raleigh. If not, looks like maybe one more period of light showers in about an hour. Certainly was a fun event to watch unfold today, even as the main energy ended up further North as had been alluded to in many of the forecasts and discussions.

Looks like all the 'good stuff' with the front is going to miss us just to the N & W --- these final storms appear to be headed right to the Raleigh & Durham area, although a pretty good outflow is now evident pushing off to the SE. Maybe that will spur some action over this way, 20 miles SE of Raleigh. If not, looks like maybe one more period of light showers in about an hour. Certainly was a fun event to watch unfold today, even as the main energy ended up further North as had been alluded to in many of the forecasts and discussions.

Those storms weren't that exciting. It rained moderately heavily, and there was some lightning and thunder, but nothing to write home about.

Came home today to find significant storm damage on my very own street which is only 0.2 of a mile long. Two residences had been struck by trees blown over by a microburst/downdraft. One car was smashed. This is was all in a small area. I would estimate a wind gust close to 100 mph would have been needed to bring down those old growth oaks/ashes.

Thanks for the report. I've scoured local media sources and checked with MRX for the latest storm report, and so far I've found nothing. Perhaps this is worth dropping them a line on Facebook.

Thanks for the report. I've scoured local media sources and checked with MRX for the latest storm report, and so far I've found nothing. Perhaps this is worth dropping them a line on Facebook.

Posted a message on the local NWS FB page. I was actually in Johnson City when the line came through and not in Kingsport. It was howling, but no damage there. I was shocked when I came to my street. The damage was very localized. Crews took a break last night clearing damage and resumed again this morning. Three insurance claims will have to be filed that I'm sure of, but I'm also certain there will be more. I'm not an expert, but I'd put the gust between 80-100 mph at least judging by the size of trees that went down. Oddly, my garden looks fine, but the next door neigboors have a tree on top of their house. As a matter of fact, the next five house on the street had damage ranging from a smashed car/carport, tree tops broken out, downed trees, broken fences, etc. Just an odd event. I don't even think it made the paper today. I have attached a photo.

post-769-0-66321400-1338654485_thumb.jpg

Archived