• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Top 10 Connecticut Storms

CT Rain

1955 was just outrageous. It certainly supercedes most hurricanes. The damage and human suffering was enormous over multiple river basins. Not to mention the rainfall totals were totally way beyond anything else that's occurred in these parts in the last 100 years.

91 deaths 86,00 permanently homeless, huge

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Floyd, Bertha, etc. Not that uncommon.

At the end of the day it's the easterly component that gives you the flooding thanks to tidal piling. 1938 still has the highest tide level at Stamford (by quite a bit) even though the storm passed 50 miles east.

Timing and angle like I said

1955 was just outrageous. It certainly supercedes most hurricanes. The damage and human suffering was enormous over multiple river basins. Not to mention the rainfall totals were totally way beyond anything else that's occurred in these parts in the last 100 years.

Maybe we can add 55 but typically flooding in Ct is pretty meh and noone other than SOS really gets amped up about it

55, 36, and 38 were pretty horrible.

82 was also devastating in parts of the state.

Flooding and of course the fire damage, wind damage, surge with 1938.

No doubt that '38 wins hands-down in modern history, imo. But open to ideas!

All true but flood control has really killed some rainfalls that could have produced some big flood damage. I had nearly 20" of rain in Oct 2005 and on the 14-15th the river gauge at Burlington Brook was higher than it was in Aug 1955. Thats pretty impressive. 2005 wasn't as widespread with rains that night but I still wonder what would have happened without all the reservoirs. Probably a nightmare for some but no where near 55 overall.

I think October 2005 surpassed June 1982 for a statewide event. Based on pictures that I've seen and my Dad's first hand knowledge, 2005 was the closest that we came to '55 type flooding, especially in this area.

If we're talking about storms, why isn't 1888 on the list?

October 2005 did 6M in damage in CT with 2 deaths

June 1982 did 235M in CT with 11 deaths.

Note 235M in 1982 dollars is 566M in 2012 dollars. A half billion dollar disaster in one state alone.

All true but flood control has really killed some rainfalls that could have produced some big flood damage. I had nearly 20" of rain in Oct 2005 and on the 14-15th the river gauge at Burlington Brook was higher than it was in Aug 1955. Thats pretty impressive. 2005 wasn't as widespread with rains that night but I still wonder what would have happened without all the reservoirs. Probably a nightmare for some but no where near 55 overall.

Yeah I agree with you. 1955 was the "perfect storm" for the Farmington River Basin with the heaviest rain (25"-30") occurring in a bullseye in the upper part of the watershed. Oct 2005 wouldn't have been nearly as bad but it would have been very bad without flood control.

Fall 2005 and Spring 2006 were like heaven for Steve.

ECt March 2010 was great. Lots of dam failures still affecting water flows, back to their natural state, small river basins though. Have noticed they are subject to rapid rise and rapid fall, has screwed up many a great fishing spot.

ECt March 2010 was great. Lots of dam failures still affecting water flows, back to their natural state, small river basins though. Have noticed they are subject to rapid rise and rapid fall, has screwed up many a great fishing spot.

Yeah March 2010 was very impressive in eastern CT. Thankfully we avoided a more serious flood episode by just a hair.

Yeah March 2010 was very impressive in eastern CT. Thankfully we avoided a more serious flood episode by just a hair.

Like you pointed out, flood control has done its job for the most part. One thing 2010 did was expose the weaknesses in dams and spill ways thruout CT Ma and RI. Also finally got the NWS to install more monitoring equipment on the Pawcatuck and improve the EM coordination with NWS.

Like you pointed out, flood control has done its job for the most part. One thing 2010 did was expose the weaknesses in dams and spill ways thruout CT Ma and RI. Also finally got the NWS to install more monitoring equipment on the Pawcatuck and improve the EM coordination with NWS.

The Quinebaug reached flood stage in Jewett City in 2010 for the first time since the flood control was put in. That's impressive!

You are right about the smaller rivers and if you look back at 1982 most of the damage was on those smaller, non-controlled rivers and streams and dams. Those issues have not been addressed.

I said earlier I think of all the flood controlled rivers in the state the Connecticut is the most vulnerable. Look at what happened in 1984. We've been very lucky... and the number of levees/dikes that are in place may only exacerbate the sitiuation in some areas.

I think October 2005 surpassed June 1982 for a statewide event. Based on pictures that I've seen and my Dad's first hand knowledge, 2005 was the closest that we came to '55 type flooding, especially in this area.

If we're talking about storms, why isn't 1888 on the list?

I talked about that in the first post. It can be thrown in but life was so different back then (pre-car, modern infrastructure in its infancy) it's hard to place it on the list with the criteria we're using. I assume it would go after 1938 and 1955 for the 3 spot?

April 1987 was pretty bad flooding wise in the Merrimack Valley. That stood for a while as a big flood until the Mother's Day floodis in the mid 2000's (2006?)

I remember that too. That had a lot of flooding. One of the benchmarks before Mother's Day in 2006.

Yeah gotta put '36 on the list somewhere. The damage if 36 happened today would be infinitely worse too. The farm land around the river that used to exist is now subdivisions lol. Not sure if it's possible with how flood controlled the CT is up north though. I will say of all the flood controlled rivers in CT the one I worry the most about is the CT.

Kennebec has some large dams, which were drawn down awaiting snowmelt in late March, 1987. That didn't prevent its worst ever flooding, 22' above flood stage in AUG, peak flow 232K cfs on 4/1, 33% greater than Maine's 2nd highest ever recorded (St.John in 2008) and more than double any Kennebec flow, 1979 onward. (Gauging station in N.Sidney wasn't in place earlier. From other gauges upstream, I'd guess at about 190-200K went by there in 1936.)

I talked about that [1888] in the first post. It can be thrown in but life was so different back then (pre-car, modern infrastructure in its infancy) it's hard to place it on the list with the criteria we're using. I assume it would go after 1938 and 1955 for the 3 spot?

That might depend on where in CT. From HVN west, it probably belongs up there with 1938 and 1955. Many locations in the eastern 1/3 got only windblown slush. #3 might work as statewide avg.

Flooding can inspire some awe. I like a good heavy rain event.

Hearing rivers roar so loud you can not talk or hear the person next to you is very awe inspiring. Watching entire trees being ripped out of their roots and then being crushed under a bridge was cool. 2010-2011 was the most dramatic weather period of our lives.

October 2005 did 6M in damage in CT with 2 deaths

June 1982 did 235M in CT with 11 deaths.

Note 235M in 1982 dollars is 566M in 2012 dollars. A half billion dollar disaster in one state alone.

If you're talking purely in dollars, yes, I'd agree. I thought we were talking about a storms impact. In terms of the flooding (at least here and I know elsewhere in the state), the flooding was a close as you want to come to 1955 levels. We had entire sections of town unreachable because of flooding and road damage. I saw levels of water on stream, rivers and waterfalls that I did not see in 1982.

If you're talking purely in dollars, yes, I'd agree. I thought we were talking about a storms impact. In terms of the flooding (at least here and I know elsewhere in the state), the flooding was a close as you want to come to 1955 levels. We had entire sections of town unreachable because of flooding and road damage. I saw levels of water on stream, rivers and waterfalls that I did not see in 1982.

I think overall 82 was more damaging/anomalous statewide even though in some areas (like north central and northeast ct) oct 05 was worse. What made 82 more anomalous was the amount of rain that fell in a part of the state where it's challenging to get 12"+. Lyme/Haddam/etc getting that amount of rain is wild... Whereas getting that amount north and west of hfd isn't as anomalous.

Archived