• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Top 10 Connecticut Storms

CT Rain

I've been giving this a lot of thought lately after 2011. Especially since the storms of 2011 put a lot of prior events in perspective.

The criteria is societal impact followed by how anomalous the event was in terms of meteorology. Also a factor has to be how widespread the impact was in the state (i.e. a tornado would be most catastrophic but damage most isolated). It's hard to place 1888 since modern infrastructure was in its infancy and we lived differently than we do today (no cars, etc). For that reason I'll start at 1900 and beyond.

1. Hurricane of 1938

2. Floods of 1955

These two are sort of no brainers.

How do we fit in the rest???

Windsor Locks Tornado 1979

1989 tornadoes

Gloria (do we bump her off for Irene?)

October Snowstorm

Blizzard of 78

1973 ice storm

Hurricane Carol

Hurricane Bob

1992 Nor'Easter

1936 Connecticut River Flooding

1982 June flooding

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Irene and gloria are a toss up. No doubt Gloria had more wind damage but surge not as bad i guess. Power problems may be worse now due to pop growth and tree growth as well, despite Gloria being stronger.

Yeah I'd edge Irene over Gloria because Irene had wind damage but also had coastal flooding (worst in some places since 1938) and inland flooding. Funny to bump a hurricane off the list for a tropical storm but Irene had it all in terms of hazards from a hurricane. No question though Gloria's wind damage was worse than Irene.

Well that's the thing.....it was so anomalous so how do you rank it?

lol dunno.

I guess maybe in the #4 spot after 1978.

Then maybe Carol or OctoSnow then Irene.

OctoSnow gets the nod over Irene because the snowstorm was WAY more anomalous.

lol dunno.

I guess maybe in the #4 spot after 1978.

Then maybe Carol or OctoSnow then Irene.

OctoSnow gets the nod over Irene because the snowstorm was WAY more anomalous.

Was the surge localized to just the Fairfield area? I feel like I never really heard about other areas too much. I know there was some widespread flooding, but I only heard of Westport area being the worst. I mean if you take that away, no doubt Octosnow gets the nod for sure.

Was the surge localized to just the Fairfield area? I feel like I never really heard about other areas too much. I know there was some widespread flooding, but I only heard of Westport area being the worst. I mean if you take that away, no doubt Octosnow gets the nod for sure.

Oh East Haven lost I think 40 houses total.... with over 100 damaged. East Haven was worse than Fairfield. The damage on other parts of the shoreline in Branford, Guilford, Madison was the worst from coastal flooding since 1938. Businesses, homes, all destroyed in most of the towns west of Old Lyme.

Oh East Haven lost I think 40 houses total.... with over 100 damaged. East Haven was worse than Fairfield. The damage on other parts of the shoreline in Branford, Guilford, Madison was the worst from coastal flooding since 1938. Businesses, homes, all destroyed in most of the towns west of Old Lyme.

Irene caused much more damage dollar wise than the Oct snow. I would rate it ahead.

LOL, oh man. We have no idea......NO IDEA what a Cat II would do coming into CT during high tide. Wow. We'll be back to the stone age. Honestly...people have no freaking clue.

Irene caused much more damage dollar wise than the Oct snow. I would rate it ahead.

Yeah if you were just going by damage you're correct. The thing with Irene... storms like that one should be 1 in 20 year kind of events...we've just been lucky IMO. That's why I think you have to give deference to October because of how rare and anomalous it was (plus it did break the power outage record too).

LOL, oh man. We have no idea......NO IDEA what a Cat II would do coming into CT during high tide. Wow. We'll be back to the stone age. Honestly...people have no freaking clue.

I still can't get over the damage down there all this time later. It's absolutely remarkable what the water did. Yeah a cat 2 would just be an absolute catastrophe. We are so overbuilt down on the water Irene will likely look like a hiccup in 50 years.

For Noho/Hadley, 1936 might be #1 all time, with the river peaking nearly 5' higher than it did in 1938...

It holds the top spot for most if not all the Ct. River gauges in CT too, but I agree it was probably less impactful than some of the others you mention.

Yeah gotta put '36 on the list somewhere. The damage if 36 happened today would be infinitely worse too. The farm land around the river that used to exist is now subdivisions lol. Not sure if it's possible with how flood controlled the CT is up north though. I will say of all the flood controlled rivers in CT the one I worry the most about is the CT.

You guys bust my chops but Irene s approach angle and the fact it coincided with a very strong new moon tide probably makes it much greater than a 1-20 year event. The tide timing and angle is very rare for a TS.

Not sure what you mean by angle but yeah high tide but astro tide definitely perked it up from a run of the mill TS to a cat 1 hurricane in terms of surge damage. I still think by and large we've had a number of storms that we've been just as lucky to get to come at low tide (particularly Gloria).

Seems like a 1 in 20 year event to me still though. October snowstorm was probably a 1 in 100-200 year kind of event for the lowlands of CT.

One of these days, CT will be hit with another Carol or 1938

That damage will be insane

That goes for any coastal area in SNE, 38 was at a full moon tide too. That makes a huge difference. All in all, on the whole, huge natural disasters in SNE are rare and seldom affect everyone at once for extended periods. A 38 would. Irene was a pimple compared to 38

Not sure what you mean by angle but yeah high tide but astro tide definitely perked it up from a run of the mill TS to a cat 1 hurricane in terms of surge damage. I still think by and large we've had a number of storms that we've been just as lucky to get to come at low tide (particularly Gloria).

Seems like a 1 in 20 year event to me still though. October snowstorm was probably a 1 in 100-200 year kind of event for the lowlands of CT.

Angle, meaning hugging the coast into NYC, the highest surge values and concentrated max tidal strength being aimed at LI sound. Most times CT is either cut in half or west of re-curves. rare to see a directly moving North storm that far west. If Irene had not stalled over NC for so long I expect a cat higher and higher tides would have occurred.

Angle, meaning hugging the coast into NYC, the highest surge values and concentrated max tidal strength being aimed at LI sound. Most times CT is either cut in half or west of re-curves. rare to see a directly moving North storm that far west. If Irene had not stalled over NC for so long I expect a cat higher and higher tides would have occurred.

Floyd, Bertha, etc. Not that uncommon.

At the end of the day it's the easterly component that gives you the flooding thanks to tidal piling. 1938 still has the highest tide level at Stamford (by quite a bit) even though the storm passed 50 miles east.

I think any cane supercedes any flooding. Flooding bad,,b ut doesn;t affect that many folks all things considered

1955 was just outrageous. It certainly supercedes most hurricanes. The damage and human suffering was enormous over multiple river basins. Not to mention the rainfall totals were totally way beyond anything else that's occurred in these parts in the last 100 years.

counting all of CT impact wise

1. Hurricane of 1938

2. Floods of 1955

Blizzard of 78

1936 Connecticut River Flooding

Irene

October Snowstorm

Hurricane Carol

Gloria

1973 ice storm

Windsor Locks Tornado 1979

1989 tornadoes