• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Top 10 Connecticut Storms

CT Rain

It's all somewhat subjective to some degree. 2005 was memorable around here for most, damaging to some. 1982, IIRC was nasty out in western CT, but not so much around here (or I maybe wasn't paying attention). The dollar amounts can mean that there were dense populations that were affected, not necessarily that the damage was widespread.

After the Oct. 2011 snowfall I was listening to WINY radio on a battery powered radio the morning after. Their perception was that it was nowhere near as bad as Irene. The heavy snows and damage were all NW of Putnam. Irene's damage included Putnam and areas to the south and east. But the Oct. snow hit a lot more folks than Irene did.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ginx you may be interested in this monthly wx review article from 1917 about New England snowfall.

http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/mwr/045/mwr-045-06-0271.pdf

My favorite part is the 42" of snow at HVN from 1888 had a water equivalent of 4.50". Nuts.

If "nuts" means, wish I could've experienced it, I agree. If it means, maybe I can't believe that low a ratio, maybe I disagree. For most areas, 1888 was a rain-to-blizzard event, so some mix time would augment LE/lower ratios. I can also imagine many measurement cores being taken in windpack (as that's all there was), also lowering ratios.

If "nuts" means, wish I could've experienced it, I agree. If it means, maybe I can't believe that low a ratio, maybe I disagree. For most areas, 1888 was a rain-to-blizzard event, so some mix time would augment LE/lower ratios. I can also imagine many measurement cores being taken in windpack (as that's all there was), also lowering ratios.

Nuts means wow I wish I saw it. HVN was all snow but 10:1 sounds about right to me. Getting 4.5" liquid for a snowstorm is amazing.

Archived