Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2012 April Banter Thread

NEG NAO

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trough will bust next week like all the others this year-relax people...we'll have one chilly day with a -2 deparature and then torch

Unlikely. Pattern supports typical early April weather. Near normal with shots of transient heat and transient cooldowns.

Trough will bust next week like all the others this year-relax people...we'll have one chilly day with a -2 deparature and then torch

you could probably take that to the bank from now through the summer. i really dont see any kind of pattern change that would get us into a below normal regime for the foreseeable future. but then again who wants it to cool down when were getting into the warm weather season just about now

you could probably take that to the bank from now through the summer. i really dont see any kind of pattern change that would get us into a below normal regime for the foreseeable future. but then again who wants it to cool down when were getting into the warm weather season just about now

The pattern shifted already. Look at the arctic and the Atlantic.

Doesn't mean though that it wont be above normal. It most likely will, but for the forseeable future it wont be +10 to +20 mega torch. Not with that kind blocking.

But as with every normal April, there can be a lakes cutter or a huge cutoff pumping in south winds and temporarily spike us into the 80's.

Summary of all your posts:

TORCH!

But seriously things do have to eventually get back to normal, we can't be seeing 10-20+ departures every month or otherwise global warming has decided to go into overdrive and were all screwed.

For the record, the NAO will be in its longest negative state since like October, there's a western ridge as well as ridging extending well north into Alaska so we may very well see a period of below normal temperatures for once.

Record heat doesn't keep me inside, it feels WAY better than standing 40+ minutes at a bus stop on a windy 30-something degree day. It starts feeling like Pluto after the first 20 minutes, I don't go numb in 95+ warmth.

Gloomy, windy, cool/cold, & wet weather (like Saturday) does keep me home though, unless I'm going somewhere that's indoors.

Why do we need to have a torch on top of what is essentially already a 3 month long torch? And why is it either 95 to 105 and humid or 40 and raining? What's wrong with 80, partly cloudy, very low dews and a nice breeze? Do you feel chilly in that too?

Why do we need to have a torch on top of what is essentially already a 3 month long torch? And why is it either 95 to 105 and humid or 40 and raining? What's wrong with 80, partly cloudy, very low dews and a nice breeze? Do you feel chilly in that too?

What about 70-75 and sunny with low humidity?

That's my ideal summer day. But the occasional 90+ degree day isn't too bad either.

Even after all of yesterdays rain, we are still seeing these being issued:

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR SOUTHERN

CONNECTICUT...NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHEAST NEW YORK.

.DAY ONE...TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY.

THERE IS AN ENHANCED THREAT FOR BRUSH FIRE GROWTH AND SPREAD

DURING THE DAY TUESDAY AND ESPECIALLY ON WEDNESDAY.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

Because that was Saturday....

80, partly cloudy, low dews and a nice breeze would be perfect right about now. :sun:

I didn't know it was illegal to like heat though, I want summer to be summer.

Yea, I'm not used to how long it takes the water to warm up here. Down in VA/NC by mid May it's in the 70s.

Don't get me wrong...i love the beach and hot weather....just the place to be.....for work i also enjoy it....as its a challenge....hottest weather i ever work in was last summer...and we got a tropical storm to top it off...

torch me forever. 70s and 80s are great for now, 90s in the summer.

this windy crappy mid 50s pretty much sucks

Today's wind was a little annoying, but upper 50s/sunshine with light winds is my ideal at this time of year. Not sure how you wouldn't like that. With the strong April sun, 58F feels like 70-75.

No way man....alot of times the winds by the shore are calm....and the water is a great idea...unfortunately when its 52 water temp on a 98 degree day.....it can be a shock to the system

Yeah the water temps in the 50s right now are extremely unusual. Most years we're in the 40s until May, 50s until early June, then 60-70 for most of the summer. Ironically on our hottest summer days, generally we have a W/NW wind which upwells the coastal waters, often back down into the 50-60 degree range as you said, but it's all the more refreshing.

Not in the morning. Ive been sweltering many a time on an early beach day under calm winds before a sea breeze develops

Yeah usually 10am-12 noon can be pretty brutal even at the shore. Days with light wind, the sea breeze should kick in by 1pm at the beaches. If we've got a moderate 20-25mph land based wind going, the sea breeze takes until mid afternoon. I'd say only a handful of days in the summer (less than 3-5) feature no sea breeze at all on the beach. Need strong NWLY winds to keep it at bay.

Yeah the water temps in the 50s right now are extremely unusual. Most years we're in the 40s until May, 50s until early June, then 60-70 for most of the summer. Ironically on our hottest summer days, generally we have a W/NW wind which upwells the coastal waters, often back down into the 50-60 degree range as you said, but it's all the more refreshing.

I think that SST's will "plateau" and remain within 1-2 degrees of where they are right now for about 4-6 weeks, and I think that because we will not see a torch last as long and be as strong for a while, and that will hold SST's within the range of 1-2 degrees.

LI sound is generally 47-49 right now. Average for today is 44-46. The sound is only a couple degrees above normal.

The ocean areas however are running 7-9 degrees above normal but the rate of warming has reduced and is slowly catching up to averages.

**And the average ocean temp hits 50 between April 16-April 30. Not June. If we maintain this current weather, the gap in anomalies will catch up daily. 60's are reached mid May. Jul-Sept. has 70-75 degree averages.

LI sound is generally 47-49 right now. Average for today is 44-46. The sound is only a couple degrees above normal.

The ocean areas however are running 7-9 degrees above normal but the rate of warming has reduced and is slowly catching up to averages.

**And the average ocean temp hits 50 between April 16-April 30. Not June. If we maintain this current weather, the gap in anomalies will catch up daily. 60's are reached mid May? Jul-Sept. has 70-75 degree averages.

And the ocean south of NJ is only running 2-4 degrees above normal. The big anomalies are north of Cape May to Maine. But I expect the gap to quickly close in the next 2-3 weeks.

Archived