Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Damaging drought thread

Ginx snewx

<p>

Flagstaff lake is well below normal by 6-8' and the rocks were showing already on the Carabasset river which was quite low,

Before the FERC relicense dance 10 or so yr ago, CMP used to draw down the lake by 25', though that probably less than doubles the drawdown volume.  Still, it's fortunate that the drawdown is now limited to what you saw.  About 4 days prior to the massive 1987 flood, I got an aerial view of Flagstaff from a light airplane.  One could follow the thread of the Dead River channel, by the slumped ice, to within 3 miles of the dam.  Who could know that less than a week later the Big Eddy camping area just downriver would be under 3 feet of water.

Responding to an earlier post:  "Drenching drizzle" is an oxymoron, unless one's job includes walking thru doghair spruce-fir saplings.  We need some real rain, not a lengthy event that merely moistens the leaves without doing anything to replenish groundwater.

if we do not get meaningful rain next week, uptake begins , EVT gets stronger, the CFS2 predicts warm and dry for May we could see some pretty nasty drought conditions

<p>if we do not get meaningful rain next week, uptake begins , EVT gets stronger, the CFS2 predicts warm and dry for May we could see some pretty nasty drought conditions

For ag interests... drought is no good.

With the exception of the people who have shallow wells at their home most people won't be impacted adversely by a serious drought. Reservoirs in CT by and large are able to provide drinking water even during a 1 in 100 year drought with no issue.

<p><p>

For ag interests... drought is no good.

With the exception of the people who have shallow wells at their home most people won't be impacted adversely by a serious drought. Reservoirs in CT by and large are able to provide drinking water even during a 1 in 100 year drought with no issue.

I pray for Kevs lawn oh how I pray.

That is interesting, Ginx. Well, if Kevin's lawn goes brown, it should bounce back to astroturf green once the rain comes back.

I always thought strawberries liked it a bit dry, but I guess not.

This part stinks:

Of

particular interest

was

the injury rind death of many famous dogwood..

Greenfield 1-1 ill in Fa irfield. !\'iany spring plantings

of

evergreen seedling trees were lost. For example.

,000 seedlings in a single spring planting in Windham

Co

unty died during the summer.

I always wondered what kind of conditions it would take for my well to go dry...it is only 200 feet deep or so.

Mine's only about 150ft, but luckily I never had any issues with. Some homes very close by with much deeper wells (300ft ish) had all sorts of problems in the summer of 2010.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived