• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Damaging drought thread

Ginx snewx

I have noticed a number of ponds that are lower than usual for this time of year, as well as some streams running below where they would be.

don't worry. Wettest May on record upcoming. Daze and daze of drenching drizzle

I started this thread after driving by my local river, it's at July levels, not good.

Yes, Lake and pond levels are low especially the ones that lower them in the fall expecting to be replenished with the spring runoff, And that is the problem i see up this way is there is no runoff and a lot of the lakes are well below normal so we will need some beneficial rains soon

Yes, Lake and pond levels are low especially the ones that lower them in the fall expecting to be replenished with the spring runoff, And that is the problem i see up this way is there is no runoff and a lot of the lakes are well below normal so we will need some beneficial rains soon

Yea even after the massive meltdown in the mts we noticed the rivers were meh. I see the runoff surged rivers downstream like the CT today to normal March levels which is not good because usually spring melt is in April. Stem rivers are brutally low.

there hasn't been a lasting dry period in this region since 2002... i'll bet you a drink at the conference that most of us will be above normal precip wise by that time

No bet but I will drink with you. I fully expect a wet miserable June but if not that one well in Tolland that ran dry, will again.

Yea even after the massive meltdown in the mts we noticed the rivers were meh. I see the runoff surged rivers downstream like the CT today to normal March levels which is not good because usually spring melt is in April. Stem rivers are brutally low.

I had went by Surgarloaf on Saturday and it looked awful with a lot of rocks and grass on the mountain's trails, We were talking about this in Eustis as well, They were going to try to stay open until reggae weekend which i think was april 12th, That looked like it was not going to happen, Flagstaff lake is well below normal by 6-8' and the rocks were showing already on the Carabasset river which was quite low, There was just some piles of snow left in shaded north facing areas but no snow on the mtns or the woods in that area, We are going to need some April rains

I had went by Surgarloaf on Saturday and it looked awful with a lot of rocks and grass on the mountain's trails, We were talking about this in Eustis as well, They were going to try to stay open until reggae weekend which i think was april 12th, That looked like it was not going to happen, Flagstaff lake is well below normal by 6-8' and the rocks were showing already on the Carabasset river which was quite low, There was just some piles of snow left in shaded north facing areas but no snow on the mtns or the woods in that area, We are going to need some April snows.

FYP

The feedback from this drought is setting up much of the Northeast for a very hot summer. It's an expansive area of dryness that stretches well out into the midwest. We've already seen what can happen in March..wait until JJA

While it may be dry, I doubt it stays this dry for that long.

Flagstaff lake is well below normal by 6-8' and the rocks were showing already on the Carabasset river which was quite low,

Before the FERC relicense dance 10 or so yr ago, CMP used to draw down the lake by 25', though that probably less than doubles the drawdown volume. Still, it's fortunate that the drawdown is now limited to what you saw. About 4 days prior to the massive 1987 flood, I got an aerial view of Flagstaff from a light airplane. One could follow the thread of the Dead River channel, by the slumped ice, to within 3 miles of the dam. Who could know that less than a week later the Big Eddy camping area just downriver would be under 3 feet of water.

Responding to an earlier post: "Drenching drizzle" is an oxymoron, unless one's job includes walking thru doghair spruce-fir saplings. We need some real rain, not a lengthy event that merely moistens the leaves without doing anything to replenish groundwater.

Archived