• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Greatest Snowstorms in History

CT Rain

For Connecticut the obvious winner is 1888 just by shear volume of snow. 40-55" of snow in the valleys has such a huge return time it's gotta make the top of the list. I would argue as anomalous as the storm was... what made it truly incredible for the Hudson Valley around ALB and the CT River Valley was the very lucky placement of a mesoscale feature. Sort of a one in a million kind of shot to make would would have been a big snowstorm into a truly epic blizzard.

For #2 and #3 in Connecticut I'm torn between 1978 and October 2011. I'd give the edge to 1978 for CT because the impact was huge inland and at the shoreline - so statewide 1978 probably had a higher impact. October 2011 probably had a more lasting impact in terms of damage in many inland and populated areas. 2011 was more anomalous meteorologically than 1978.

Some notes... snow accumulation is not a huge part of the issue. Impact is more important. Feb 2006 was 20-30" in the Valley but it was fluff. A total non-impact storm. A wind whipped, heavy, 25035" in 1978 is clearly substantially more challenging. It's also important to look at the state as a whole and not just your backyard. A heavier weight should be placed on storms that hit populated/valley locations more than the hills. Who cares about 3 feet at 1,000 ft where no one lives.

Since 1850 in Connecticut... the greatest snowstorms are:

1: 1888

2: 1978

3: 2011

Thoughts?

I definitely wouldn't have Feb 2006 in the top 3 either and for the same reasons you mentioned. Sure we got nailed here with almost 30'' of snow but by the next morning it had all compacted down to like 15'' and then something like 7'' the day after that. There wasn't any major social implications either except travel obviously.

From what I have read and heard about 1978 that certainly was very epic and what made it just as difficult for people too was the fact nobody had snowblowers and everyone had to shovel their way out. The impacts of that were probably just as bad as the October storm was on just about everyone and it affected the entire state, not just inland areas.

I definitely wouldn't have Feb 2006 in the top 3 either and for the same reasons you mentioned. Sure we got nailed here with almost 30'' of snow but by the next morning it had all compacted down to like 15'' and then something like 7'' the day after that. There wasn't any major social implications either except travel obviously.

From what I have read and heard about 1978 that certainly was very epic and what made it just as difficult for people too was the fact nobody had snowblowers and everyone had to shovel their way out. The impacts of that were probably just as bad as the October storm was on just about everyone and it affected the entire state, not just inland areas.

I hated feb 2006

all i got was 11"

everywheree around me had near 30 inches

the ultimate screw job

If you expanded the list to include the last century... how do you think you'd rank 'em?

I guess it depends on where you were. I think top storm here is the Blizz of '78. It's hard for me to rank storm and impact when I didn't experience it. I certainly think 4/1/97 is likely in the top 5 here both from impact and amount of snow..probably close to number 1 in spots. I mean, it took almost 2 days for my grandmother's street to get plowed. Finally did it with a front end loader.

I think Jan 2005 is in the top 5 here. Feb '69 may get close, but longevity may have prevented a big impact to society. I'd have to think about some others. Dec 2003 was pretty big in ern mass. Kind of goes under the radar, but my folks lost power for 2 days after that storm. Not fun when temps get cold in December.

I guess it depends on where you were. I think top storm here is the Blizz of '78. It's hard for me to rank storm and impact when I didn't experience it. I certainly think 4/1/97 is likely in the top 5 here both from impact and amount of snow..probably close to number 1 in spots. I mean, it took almost 2 days for my grandmother's street to get plowed. Finally did it with a front end loader.

I think Jan 2005 is in the top 5 here. Feb '69 may get close, but longevity may have prevented a big impact to society. I'd have to think about some others. Dec 2003 was pretty big in ern mass. Kind of goes under the radar, but my folks lost power for 2 days after that storm. Not fun when temps get cold in December.

It's funny when you set aside "amount" and just look at impact over a region (say eastern Mass, for instance) you can immediately throw out some big storms.

It's the impact people remember... not necessarily the amount. Would 78 have been as legendary as it was if the winds were half as impressive or that front end thump occurred overnight?

For Massachusetts, I think the rankings go:

1. February 1978

2. March 1960

3. January 2005

4. April 1997 (this really screwed up Boston for nearly a week with a total debacle in snow removal, so its highest effects were in the most densely populated region...places like ORH managed to get back to normal within a couple days)

Its hard to rank storms like February 1899...there were no cars back then. I'm sure the impact was obscene, but even a 12" storm back then was a big pain. If you try and normalize it compared to society's changes, then it would probably still be up there. Its pretty easy to say Mar 1888 would be #1 in CT for today because the totals were so obscenely high...but 18-24 inches in Feb 1899 is tougher since it is comparable with many modern day storms.

Honorable mention that may or may not be worthy of a top 5 spot:

February 23-28, 1969

February 16, 1958

October 29-30, 2011 (yeah it missed BOS, but a lot of their suburbs and then of course all of the rest of the state to the west had massive power outages)

December 11-12 1992 (coastal flooding was monsterous despite not everyone getting a ton of snow)

It's funny when you set aside "amount" and just look at impact over a region (say eastern Mass, for instance) you can immediately throw out some big storms.

It's the impact people remember... not necessarily the amount. Would 78 have been as legendary as it was if the winds were half as impressive or that front end thump occurred overnight?

I mean if you do impact...hell 12/13/07 blows Feb 2003 out the window..lol. Most of the time I only care about amounts for my personal purposes, but yeah things are different when you describe impact.

Dec '92 I feel should be in top 5 as well. Coastal destruction and 2-3' of snow in the interior. Probably one of the most disruptive storms in the last 50 years.

I mean if you do impact...hell 12/13/07 blows Feb 2003 out the window..lol. Most of the time I only care about amounts for my personal purposes, but yeah things are different when you describe impact.

Dec '92 I feel should be in top 5 as well. Coastal destruction and 2-3' of snow in the interior. Probably one of the most disruptive storms in the last 50 years.

lol you're right.

Besides weenies I doubt anyone remembers Feb 2003. Or Feb 2006 back here.

For Massachusetts, I think the rankings go:

1. February 1978

2. March 1960

3. January 2005

4. April 1997 (this really screwed up Boston for nearly a week with a total debacle in snow removal, so its highest effects were in the most densely populated region...places like ORH managed to get back to normal within a couple days)

Its hard to rank storms like February 1899...there were no cars back then. I'm sure the impact was obscene, but even a 12" storm back then was a big pain. If you try and normalize it compared to society's changes, then it would probably still be up there. Its pretty easy to say Mar 1888 would be #1 in CT for today because the totals were so obscenely high...but 18-24 inches in Feb 1899 is tougher since it is comparable with many modern day storms.

Honorable mention that may or may not be worthy of a top 5 spot:

February 23-28, 1969

February 16, 1958

October 29-30, 2011 (yeah it missed BOS, but a lot of their suburbs and then of course all of the rest of the state to the west had massive power outages)

December 11-12 1992 (coastal flooding was monsterous despite not everyone getting a ton of snow)

Agreed with these here. I think the '92 point is a good one for Mass. It falls short in CT because the totals were much lower here as a rule (excluding Mt Tolland and Norfolk) than they were in Mass. Smaller geographic area.

I think doing the rankings state by state is interesting. Cool stuff.

Agreed with these here. I think the '92 point is a good one for Mass. It falls short in CT because the totals were much lower here as a rule (excluding Mt Tolland and Norfolk) than they were in Mass. Smaller geographic area.

I think doing the rankings state by state is interesting. Cool stuff.

I actually give Dec '92 a high ranking because even in CT, you had heavy snow, coastal flooding, power outages..etc. It was also quite disruptive in RI too with NW RI getting 2' and tons of outages. Even in areas of Mass that didn't get heavy snow and coastal flooding...there was quite a bit of fresh water flooding in SE Mass.

March 1960 was pretty bad for most of MA...very high impact...winds were really high and of course snow totals were big...even smoked the Cape. Kind of gets overlooked historically because Feb 1978 just steals the show when looking back pre-1990.

March 1960 was pretty bad for most of MA...very high impact...winds were really high and of course snow totals were big...even smoked the Cape. Kind of gets overlooked historically because Feb 1978 just steals the show when looking back pre-1990.

I went back and tried to find some stuff out with that storm...don't really know it too well other than the heavy snow amounts. It was quite the storm.

I'd concur on the Dec 2003.

That storm was awesome...28" in Dobbs Ferry. ACK got crushed!

Talking about Long Island, you've got to put 2/4/61 on there. That was a devastating storm for much of NYC metro, including Long Island, as the snowpack was already formidable in many places.

Since 1850 in Connecticut... the greatest snowstorms are:

1: 1888

2: 1978

3: 2011

Thoughts?

No doubt 1888 is #1 making every other storm its b**ch. More than just the snow totals was how crazy cold it got in mid March and it started as rain, lol.

1978 or 2011 is a tough call. Seems to me 78 would have less impact now with better cars/snow removal. I'm partial to 2011 cause I measured it and totally weenied out in it :lol:

No doubt 1888 is #1 making every other storm its b**ch. More than just the snow totals was how crazy cold it got in mid March and it started as rain, lol.

1978 or 2011 is a tough call. Seems to me 78 would have less impact now with better cars/snow removal. I'm partial to 2011 cause I measured it and totally weenied out in it :lol:

Agreed.

I have said before that snow removal now is not much different than 1978

A National Guard front end loader got us out. It would be needed again.

Cars would still be stuck. See Dec 2007

Yeah the timing of 1978 is what made it so devastating for snow removal on the roads...we saw a smaller sample of that on December 13, 2007. January 1978 had snow amounts over 20" in BOS metro and the snow removal wasn't nearly as big a problem.

I got a quarter inch here in 2/2006.

The dual storm late February 2010 event may be the granddaddy of them all for the northern Catskills where Hunter and Windham got 6 to 7 feet of heavy wet snow. But the blizzard of 88 is the tops for the ENY region overall with 4 to 5 feet in the valleys.

I hated feb 2006

all i got was 11"

everywheree around me had near 30 inches

the ultimate screw job

Archived