• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
March 31st - Potential Wintry Precip (formerly the March Torch Thread)

tornadojay

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Visibilities are 0 to .2 miles at the NYC airports.

Driving to work, I ran into very thick fog along all of the Grand Central and Cross Island Parkways, as they run along the water. Thickest fog was on the Cross Island near the Throggs Neck and Whitestone Bridges.

Drove over the Brooklyn Bridge at about 6 am, couldnt even see the BQE below me.

bees everywhere. Gonna be a bad summer for bugs and insects. No cold or snow cover over the winter means a lot of bugs. At least with the drought there is no standing water so mosquitos wont be too bad.

I was driving home last night around 9pm and noticed bugs all around the spotlights in parking lots etc...amazing

I was driving home last night around 9pm and noticed bugs all around the spotlights in parking lots etc...amazing

golfing the other day, there were more bugs then any time last year. Lots of snakes too, the snakes were mating all winter as they never went into full hibernation.

wouldnt call this a drought after the record precip last year.

im not talking about the reservoirs, but soil moisture and precip departuers from normal, we are absolutely heading that way.

Makes sense, 2nd year ninas are known to strangle the northeast with dry conditions. Look for water restrictions by June at this rate.

Still pretty wet looking back on the past year starting today:

But I fully agree it was a very dry fall and winter after the hurricane last year.

why would you go back a year when it was uber wet beyond belief for at least half of that period, if not more, totally skews the stats.

the question is do we stay dry going into later spring and summer?

history says we do. As I previously mentioned, 2nd year ninas are usually dry for the northeast.

even if we do start to approach nino at some point, atmosphere doesnt turn on a dime, we wouldn't see a return to wet conditions till October probably.

Archived