• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 2012 Central/Western Obs/Disco

Looks like an overall trend toward the slower progression with today's 12z suite... most notably on the op GFS. The op ECMWF essentially keeps the mean trough axis around 115-120 W for several days while really pumping the ern ridge back into the Midwest, creating a somewhat blocky look. By D+10, there's a monster closed low in the Mojave Desert that could spell trouble for the High Plains as it begins to progress.

That said, a fair number of GEFS members still want to progress the first trough with the potential for an event Sat-Sun.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like an overall trend toward the slower progression with today's 12z suite... most notably on the op GFS. The op ECMWF essentially keeps the mean trough axis around 115-120 W for several days while really pumping the ern ridge back into the Midwest, creating a somewhat blocky look. By D+10, there's a monster closed low in the Mojave Desert that could spell trouble for the High Plains as it begins to progress.

That said, a fair number of GEFS members still want to progress the first trough with the potential for an event Sat-Sun.

12z GFS ensemble mean is virtually identical to the 00z run.

Well given the ECMWF and the complete change to a slower trend on the op GFS (which had been the fastest solution to begin with even among its ensembles), it is seems safe to suggest a deep longwave trough with an equatorward oriented jet like this will more than likely dig relatively far S. Slow and south seems more likely, but even the ECMWF op seems rather extreme. It does seem the forecast evolution of the longwave will be somewhat dependent upon low amplitude cyclones along the cyclonic side of the jet axis over the NE Pacific, when and how much they bomb out, and the ensuing cold air advective patterns they incite (i.e., how equatorward oriented is the CAA and the ensuing upper height falls). While the ECMWF seems to favor only one of those cyclones through day 6 deepening significantly off the NW US coast, GFS/CMC suggest the potential for multiple smaller scale perturbations off the NW US coast. For now won't buy any solution as small scale perturbations long the jet won't be resolved or modeled well at this juncture. Slow seems the way to go though.

Talking more immediately, I think there is definitely some potential tomorrow in LA northward through the Ozarks if some of the progged dewpoint readings I'm seeing verify.

DAY 2 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1121 AM CST SAT MAR 10 2012

VALID 111200Z - 121200Z

...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS FROM THE ARKLATEX INTO THE

OZARKS...

...SYNOPSIS...

AN UPPER LOW WILL EJECT NEWD ACROSS THE SRN AND CNTRL PLAINS INTO

THE MID TO UPPER MS VALLEY THROUGH THE PERIOD. MID TO UPPER LEVEL

WIND FIELDS WILL INCREASE OVER MUCH OF THE REGION WITH THE ENTRANCE

REGION OF THE UPPER JET MOVING ACROSS AR AND MO DURING THE AFTERNOON

AND EVENING. AT THE SURFACE...PRESSURES WILL FALL BUT A CONSOLIDATED

SURFACE LOW IS NOT FORECAST TO DEVELOP. NEITHER WILL THERE BE A

STRONG COLD FRONT...BUT SUBTLE CONFLUENCE WILL EXIST ACROSS THE

ENTIRE WARM SECTOR. BROAD SWLY 850 MB FLOW ON THE ORDER OF 40-50 KT

WILL HELP BRING MOISTURE RAPIDLY NWD WITH BOUNDARY LAYER DEWPOINTS

INTO THE LOWER 60S INTO CNTRL AR BY AFTERNOON.

...ARKLATEX INTO THE OZARKS...

WIDESPREAD RAIN AND EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE ONGOING OVER MUCH

OF ERN TX...OK...KS...SWRN MO AND WRN AR SUN MORNING AS MOISTURE

STREAMS NWD IN THE WARM CONVEYOR. AS THE UPPER TROUGH AND ASSOCIATED

HEIGHT FALLS DEVELOP NEWD...THE WRN EDGE OF THE EARLY ACTIVITY

SHOULD SHARPEN AND CONSOLIDATE INTO AN ORGANIZED BAND OF

THUNDERSTORMS...WITH INCREASING INTENSITY WITH TIME....BEGINNING

OVER FAR ERN OK AND NERN TX.

SHEAR PROFILES WILL STRENGTHEN OVER AR WITH THE LOW LEVEL JET

EXCEEDING 50 KT BY 00Z. FORECAST HODOGRAPHS ARE LARGE AND SMOOTH IN

THE LOW LEVELS AND WOULD BE FAVORABLE FOR TORNADIC SUPERCELLS. MAIN

MITIGATING FACTORS TO A MORE SUBSTANTIAL THREAT ARE SUBTLE WARM

SECTOR FORCING...ONGOING AREAS OF RAIN AND SOMEWHAT MARGINAL LEVELS

OF INSTABILITY...AT LEAST FOR STRONG TORNADOES.

WITH NO CAPPING ACROSS THE WARM SECTOR AND INCREASING DEWPOINTS BY

AFTERNOON...SW-NE ORIENTED BANDS OF DEEP CONVECTION MAY ALSO FORM

AHEAD OF THE MAIN LINE OF STORMS.

SINCE THE MODELS ARE IN VERY GOOD AGREEMENT WITH THE LOCATION OF THE

BEST INSTABILITY AND SHEAR...HAVE ADDED A SMALL 30 PERCENT AREA

ACROSS CNTRL AR. IN ADDITION TO TORNADOES...DAMAGING WINDS WITH

SMALL BOWING LINE SEGMENTS ALSO APPEAR LIKELY.

..JEWELL.. 03/10/2012

Timmer is going to be out tomorrow trying to make up for his running out of gas mistake on 3/2 :lmao::rolleyes:

I'm not sure with the subtle warm sector forcing being a mitigating factor point, given the fact that there will likely be little capping, that may actually increase the risk for discrete convection.

Talking more immediately, I think there is definitely some potential tomorrow in LA northward through the Ozarks if some of the progged dewpoint readings I'm seeing verify.

Timmer is going to be out tomorrow trying to make up for his running out of gas mistake on 3/2 :lmao::rolleyes:

I'm not sure with the subtle warm sector forcing being a mitigating factor point, given the fact that there will likely be little capping, that may actually increase the risk for discrete convection.

I don't think it'll make it all the way up this way, but Arkansas may have some problems. Or, there may just be a lot of crapvection throughout the day.

Right now with the 8+ day threat on 18z GFS, it appears the resolution change is doing a number on how it wants to translate the upper level/mid level energy associated with the trough, considering it looks a bit unrealistically different in terms of trough setup between 192 and 204 hrs.

Basically, it looks very broad based at 192 and then all of the sudden it is very sharp and amplified at 204. The way the upper jet digs on the West Coast in the 168-192 hr period and the way the trough forms from 204 on doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Right now with the 8+ day threat on 18z GFS, it appears the resolution change is doing a number on how it wants to translate the upper level/mid level energy associated with the trough, considering it looks a bit unrealistically different in terms of trough setup between 192 and 204 hrs.

Basically, it looks very broad based at 192 and then all of the sudden it is very sharp and amplified at 204. The way the upper jet digs on the West Coast in the 168-192 hr period and the way the trough forms from 204 on doesn't really make a lot of sense.

GFS/GEFS has definitely backed off its early ejection scenario...which makes sense given the pattern. It now looks much more similar to the EC even though they develop the trough in a much different manner. Both essentially develop a deep 4 corners semi-cutoff upper low which is more or less kicked out into the plains. This scenario would be a potential fireworks show...and for those looking for severe, this would likely support much more vigorous severe DMC than a slow moving positive/neutral tilt trough like some earlier GEFS runs were doing. Right now we are back to day 9+ again.

Block-ish at the end of the run.

Nice 582dm+ ridge over Ontario.

Yeah huge block, ECMWF completely closes the upper high. Feels like July/August 2011 all over. Bringing back bad memories of the 600 dm subtropical death ridge. That said, a weird setup. Not even sure that the 0Z ECMWF scenario verbatim would be much of any sig severe.

Yeah huge block, ECMWF completely closes the upper high. Feels like July/August 2011 all over. Bringing back bad memories of the 600 dm subtropical death ridge. That said, a weird setup. Not even sure that the 0Z ECMWF scenario verbatim would be much of any sig severe.

Yeah that would be an extremely unusual pattern, not saying it isn't possible but the Euro does have its bias of closing off systems in the SW, which could be the case here. Of course that being said it is a 8-10 day model projection which will change with time, so it would be silly to nitpick right now.

The trend toward uber-blockiness is definitely a concern for severe potential. That said, while I don't have access to the precip maps or CAPE/CIN, I thought that D+9 (00z Tue Mar 20) on the op Euro looked like a potential event for the High Plains. It's right on the verge of being too meridional for anything big, but with the strong surface low and backed H85 flow, I wouldn't rule it out. With low-mid 60s dew points progged to be available east of the dryline all the way to or past 100 W this early in the spring, I feel it would take a lot going wrong (most likely the trough never fully ejecting in one piece) to avoid sig svr.

Talk about high octane for March...

Even with the Euro's exceedingly strange solution, I'd have to think there would be potential in TX with that bowling ball UL low, although we may start running into problems that come with vertically stacked/closed upper systems.

Several GFS ENS members have something at least somewhat similar.

Yeah I see that some do, the thing is once again it is a 8-10 day forecast so a lot of things can and probably will change between now and then. I am not denouncing the solution as being impossible but I think it is one of many possible outcomes.

Another thing to watch would be if that lead wave retrogrades the ridge in the East a bit, allowing the less blocking of the later system and allowing more mid/upper level energy to eject eastward, possibly allowing it to eject in one piece.

12z GFS is actually pretty close to merging the two systems at around 150-168 hrs.

18z GFS brings the trough through much more consolidated (the 192+ hr system)

The lead wave looks nasty for the regions I mentioned earlier. Huge LLJ, due south/slightly backed sfc winds and upper/mid level support from incoming jet streak to the west. The warm sector is titanic in size in front of both systems.

Initial wave would give me a slight chance at some elevated convection, at least.

Can't believe I'm talking about a threat of convection up here in early-mid March. Quite something.

NWS Grand Forks has mentioned the thunder threat in the last few discussions.

I posted this on the Minnesota Forecaster site, you can goggle it, but please dumb it down, that site is really about grading our local weather forecaster's. There is a huge difference between 700mb temps on the Euro and the GFS, at around the 180-240hr time frame. The GFS has it near °c the Euro around 6 or 7. The Euro basically caps us. Any way this is what I posted there, and I think it's close to being right. Rember that I am based in MN.

"As far as severe weather goes. I don't believe the GFS around the 180hr to 216hr, it breaks down the surface ridge way to fast. The Euro is showing it's bias by stalling out the 500mb low over the SW US and taking it's time ejecting it to the NE. I think the proper solution is somewhere in between. The GFS to fast, the Euro to slow. When the Eastern surface ridge starts to break down it will be most notable over the mid to south Mississippi Valley, that will use up most of the Convective Available Potential Energy (CAPE) and we will be left with some rain, but not enough to break our drought. I really thought that we may have a chance at severe Wx around the 17th to 21st, but I getting more and more convinced that will not happen. As a matter of fact I wonder if we will get much precip at all."

I posted this on the Minnesota Forecaster site, you can goggle it, but please dumb it down, that site is really about grading our local weather forecaster's. There is a huge difference between 700mb temps on the Euro and the GFS, at around the 180-240hr time frame. The GFS has it near °c the Euro around 6 or 7. The Euro basically caps us. Any way this is what I posted there, and I think it's close to being right. Rember that I am based in MN.

"As far as severe weather goes. I don't believe the GFS around the 180hr to 216hr, it breaks down the surface ridge way to fast. The Euro is showing it's bias by stalling out the 500mb low over the SW US and taking it's time ejecting it to the NE. I think the proper solution is somewhere in between. The GFS to fast, the Euro to slow. When the Eastern surface ridge starts to break down it will be most notable over the mid to south Mississippi Valley, that will use up most of the Convective Available Potential Energy (CAPE) and we will be left with some rain, but not enough to break our drought. I really thought that we may have a chance at severe Wx around the 17th to 21st, but I getting more and more convinced that will not happen. As a matter of fact I wonder if we will get much precip at all."

The bigger severe threat for your area may end up being around 138-168 hrs, with the lead wave...

Except that this is, as you mentioned, 180-216 hrs out, I agree that the main svr threat with the second system is probably farther south.

138- 168 I'm not buying it , the GFS is showing low K index values.

Ignoring K-Index values, there's 750+ J/kg CAPE into Central Minnesota, keep in mind this is 144 hrs out on a model that commonly underdoes surface temperatures and therefore instability.

Here, check this little write up on stability indicators.

http://weather.cod.edu/sirvatka/si.html

Archived