Newest Member
    joxey
March 2 Severe Potential and Observations

Indystorm

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Bill Murray on Alabamawx...

Tomorrow will feature a few storms in the afternoon as the front goes back north as more warm, moist air builds over Alabama. Friday will be another severe weather day. Areas north of Alabama, like the Ohio Valley, could have a very, very bad day Friday.

Figured this could be posted here, from Baro in the main thread:

Posted in the OV winter thread, might as well post here too. Also likely why many of the SREF members are all amped up too. Worth watching to see if the globals take more of a rapid intensification approach as it will have a significant influence on the warm sector development/low level flow response.

Usually there are strong reasons to be suspect of anything the NAM does, especially when it tends to be a big outlier on the synoptic handling of a system, but the NAM here does (considering it is initializing correctly...always a big "if" these days it seems) have some utility here as this system will be deepening strongly off relatively extreme low level frontogenetic/upper jet scale properties. The cyclone itself is pretty small, and it will also have a strong warm sector moisture feed, so this will also have a tendency to force rapid pressure falls if this comes together correctly. Moist frontogenesis has been known to be drivers for storm intensification...rather rapidly sometimes. The meso models will have a slight "edge" w.r.t. this. 0Z RGEM is not too far off the NAM either.

GFS has a sub 992mn low over IN/MI at hour 45...I'm thinking a moderate risk is a good bet to be issued some point tomorrow.

Figured this could be posted here, from Baro in the SE thread:

Notice how he says he posted in in the OV thread too :P

Have been looking at profiles and hodo's the past 20 minutes. In the words of Cantore...holy smoke.

GFS a lot stronger through 48hr. sub 992mb sfc low goes into southern MI

Yeah, someone should easily see the second Mod risk in 3 days, and quite possibly the first high risk of the season. Latest GFS showing a 100+kt 500mb flow, crazy.

GFS has a sub 992mn low over IN/MI at hour 45...I'm thinking a moderate risk is a good bet to be issued some point tomorrow.

Notice how he says he posted in in the OV thread too tongue.png

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see one in the next day 2.

I could see the SPC going this route as things look at the moment. These are only my opinions, and not an actual convective outlook. biggrin.png

post-5974-0-62683800-1330583790.png

What font style did you use in the risk names (i.e. HIGH, MDT...etc.)?

Random question I know.

Also, I highly doubt they will go high at a 07z day 2 outlook, although I could see a fair chunk of that MDT being issued.

Archived