• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2 Severe Potential and Observations

Indystorm

Isnt the hrrr/ruc/18z nam a bit further nw than lansing? Coulda sworn it was.

18Z NAM and GFS are basically dead on Lansing on today run.

HRRR only goes out 15 hours. SLP not in MI yet.

RUC goes out 24 hours. SLP just entering SW MI at the time. May go west of Lansing (looks like it would be west but not a ton).

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18Z NAM and GFS are basically dead on Lansing on today run.

HRRR only goes out 15 hours. SLP not in MI yet.

RUC goes out 24 hours. SLP just entering SW MI at the time. May go west of Lansing (looks like it would be west but not a ton).

Usually this time of year the warm front would hang up at the border because of the cold lake erie/huron effect. Dont see that happening this time, though. I'd say that a track west of lansing would put us near the triple point, though. A slight risk is probably warranted if there is explosive development of the low.

Usually this time of year the warm front would hang up at the border because of the cold lake erie/huron effect. Dont see that happening this time, though. I'd say that a track west of lansing would put us near the triple point, though. A slight risk is probably warranted if there is explosive development of the low.

This is a hard area to get great severe weather events in April let alone beginning of March. We'll see but I am very hesitant for anything severe. It happens but it is pretty rare in March here. I would like to just get a decent t-storm out of it.

This is a hard area to get great severe weather events in April let alone beginning of March. We'll see but I am very hesitant for anything severe. It happens but it is pretty rare in March here. I would like to just get a decent t-storm out of it.

Agreed. Wasnt a typical michigan winter though. Wonder if the lack of ice on the lakes/lack of snowcover will make a difference for us this year.

Keep in mind we've had a top-notch severe event here in March before... an F4 tornado on March 20th in Bloomfield Hills I believe. So a severe event including damaging wind gusts, large hail, and an isolated tornado which doesn't even hold a candle to F4's are totally possible this time of year.

Keep in mind we've had a top-notch severe event here in March before... an F4 tornado on March 20th in Bloomfield Hills I believe. So a severe event including damaging wind gusts, large hail, and an isolated tornado which doesn't even hold a candle to F4's are totally possible this time of year.

Yes. I did not say it was impossible as I did say it is possible but it is rare. MI is not the state you go for severe weather events much before May. Yes they happen but it is not common. Most of my best severe weather events come in Late May into July.

As always, track of the low pressure is key with IWX thinking posted above. This would place greater svr chances south of I-70 in IN and into western OH. dependent of course on instability with my thinking that the greatest chances will be from the Cincinnati area southwestward in our subforum region.

Appears to lessen the tornadic threat and move it much farther southeast, but don't know that I necessarily buy this run. The low is still 988 mb and deepening over Michiana at 00z Sat. The track seems awkward. It moves to the MS river and into Illinois then hooks left almost 45 degrees to head up to Michiana. Odd. The low was stronger at 995 on the old run but now in the new run it is 988 but sig tor is lower. Perhaps low level moisture advection is progged to be less?

Appears to lessen the tornadic threat and move it much farther southeast, but don't know that I necessarily buy this run. The low is still 988 mb and deepening over Michiana at 00z Sat. The track seems awkward. It moves to the MS river and into Illinois then hooks left almost 45 degrees to head up to Michiana. Odd. The low was stronger at 995 on the old run but now in the new run it is 988 but sig tor is lower. Perhaps low level moisture advection is progged to be less?

Seems to match more of the CIPS GFS analogs. hhhmmmm.....

Looking at instability progs, that doesn't look like an issue.

Wait a sec, aren't the STI maps there valid at two different times on Friday? One looks like its progged for 00z and the other looks like 21z.

Looking at instability progs, that doesn't look like an issue.

Wait a sec, aren't the STI maps there valid at two different times on Friday? One looks like its progged for 00z and the other looks like 21z.

Yeah, the times don't match on those images that Beau posted.

Have been watching this for several days develop and was considering maybe chasing the Eastern half of Indiana and into Western Ohio but I don't like what I am now seeing on the NAM tonight. If the NAM is correct I don't think there will be enough instability to support supercells because the 500 MB winds are so strong (100 knots) that the updrafts will be cut off over Eastern IN and into Western OH. The NAM is keeping things not as unstable due to morning precip and cloud cover over IN. The storm speeds will be 60-65 mph and it will be extremely difficult to keep up if any supercells can actually develop across that area.. The best areas should be over East Central KY SW into TN as there will be more instability to work with as the NAM is showing 2000-2500 sbcape. I am not going to venture into Central KY and TN because I can't justify myself going that far when the terrain and road network is terrible and 50 mph storm movement.

Have been watching this for several days develop and was considering maybe chasing the Eastern half of Indiana and into Western Ohio but I don't like what I am now seeing on the NAM tonight. If the NAM is correct I don't think there will be enough instability to support supercells because the 500 MB winds are so strong (100 knots) that the updrafts will be cut off over Eastern IN and into Western OH. The NAM is keeping things not as unstable due to morning precip and cloud cover over IN. The storm speeds will be 60-65 mph and it will be extremely difficult to keep up if any supercells can actually develop across that area.. The best areas should be over East Central KY SW into TN as there will be more instability to work with as the NAM is showing 2000-2500 sbcape. I am not going to venture into Central KY and TN because I can't justify myself going that far when the terrain and road network is terrible and 50 mph storm movement.

I am always concerned with left over a left over cloud deck from earlier in the day. It seems to happen a lot and with the low moving more southeast, I think we may bust on the discrete cells and just have the usual squall line as the front moves through.

I am always concerned with left over a left over cloud deck from earlier in the day. It seems to happen a lot and with the low moving more southeast, I think we may bust on the discrete cells and just have the usual squall line as the front moves through.

I might be wrong but I'm not seeing a southeastward move on the NAM. The surface low track is practically identical to 18z.

Archived