e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Friday Night Into Saturday High Wind OBS And Discussion

bluewave

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winds starting to pick up here on long island all of a sudden. Wow its getting blustery out there, what kind of gusts for long island?

JFK should top out around 55. Its going to be ripping in the morning but nothing even close to Irene or March 2010. Irene did a real good tree trimming job here on LI so I doubt there will be much tree damage other then isolated type stuff. Power outages on LI should be less then 50k.

JFK should top out around 55. Its going to be ripping in the morning but nothing even close to Irene or March 2010. Irene did a real good tree trimming job here on LI so I doubt there will be much tree damage other then isolated type stuff. Power outages on LI should be less then 50k.

Irene and the March 2010 storm took out most of our weakened trees. We also haven't had much rain lately, so the ground isn't saturated. We should be fine with winds gusting in the 50s. Above 60, different story, but this shouldn't be that bad.

My guess for the max gust off Point Lookout/Jones Beach: 58 mph.

Winds picking up over here. Should be a fun Saturday.

To inherit the wind is generally not deemed a successful outcome....

See Proverbs 11:29

The strongest winds will occur today from later this morning into the afternoon as the mixing depth greatly increases.

I am thinking that's when we see gusts to around 50 mph or greater. We should be able to verify advisory criteria

winds but we will have to see on the warning . The NAM only had us getting up to wind advisory while the GFS

and SREF's were more bullish.

The GFS winds 50kt winds it showing at 850mb, at 12z. Well that's passing us now. We mix even higher to 750mb later but with winds around 45kt-50kts.The same is true for the NAM.

The forecast winds speeds between 750mb-850mb, generally look less than 50-55kt winds speeds had yesterday. So I think we winds fall below HWW criteria, in most places, today. Winds gusts mostly in 40-50mph range.

Guest Patrick

Was gusty here just after midnight last night, but nothing to write home about.

This thread should be brought back to life next winter, just to remind us of how bad it really was... lol

The GFS winds 50kt winds it showing at 850mb, at 12z. Well that's passing us now. We mix even higher to 750mb later but with winds around 45kt-50kts.The same is true for the NAM.

The forecast winds speeds between 750mb-850mb, generally look less than 50-55kt winds speeds had yesterday. So I think we winds fall below HWW criteria, in most places, today. Winds gusts mostly in 40-50mph range.

Archived