• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
New pics and audio of 1967 Oak Lawn, IL tornado

Hoosier

New to me anyway.  The owner of a theater managed to record the sound as the tornado passed by.  He was at 95th and Cicero in Oak Lawn, which is about a mile east of the infamous 95th and Southwest Highway intersection where many died.  

There is a color picture of the tornado around 1:20.  There's a chilling moment at 4:19 when he mentions a car falling out of the sky onto 95th street.

http://oaklawn.patch...o#video-5722274

Incredible footage! I wasn't around till long after this event, but I've heard stories about it. I've never seen this video before today.

This was probably the last tornado to touchdown inside the urban core of Cook County? Some people think areas are immune to tornadoes in urban areas and close to the lake, but that is not true!

That is eerie as hell, looks like it was about 1/4 to 1/2 mile wide.

Considering population growth in Chicagoland since then, I'd have to think that a similar event would end just as badly or worse if it happened now.

It's officially listed as 200 yards wide but path widths aren't an exact science. It's pretty clear the zone of intense damage was fairly narrow.

Incredible footage! I wasn't around till long after this event, but I've heard stories about it. I've never seen this video before today.

This was probably the last tornado to touchdown inside the urban core of Cook County? Some people think areas are immune to tornadoes in urban areas and close to the lake, but that is not true!

Depends how you define urban core. If you don't count the Lemont tornadoes of 1991 and 1976, then this was the last intense tornado. There have been weaker ones since then.

Depends how you define urban core. If you don't count the Lemont tornadoes of 1991 and 1976, then this was the last intense tornado. There have been weaker ones since then.

Ok. I have to remember Cook County wasn't as developed as before either. I would define urban as a certain number of people per square mile. There have been a couple weak to moderate intense tornadoes on the north side that I can remember. One hit Zion in April of 1996. Path was only a block, but it was rated at F2. I think Gurnee, IL was hit that same evening as well.

Ok. I have to remember Cook County wasn't as developed as before either. I would define urban as a certain number of people per square mile. There have been a couple weak to moderate intense tornadoes on the north side that I can remember. One hit Zion in April of 1996. Path was only a block, but it was rated at F2. I think Gurnee, IL was hit that same evening as well.

The fringes of Cook county probably weren't as developed but IIRC, Oak Lawn had around 20,000 people at the time of the tornado. A bigger issue the urban spread out into the collar counties, just waiting to get mowed down by the next violent tornado.

Wow, that was very cool!  I was surprised at the lack of profanity by that guy lol.  A lot of people would have been yelling everything in the book.

I know lol. It's just eerie how he's outside talking to those women about the other tornadoes that day. Little did he know what was about to happen.

I know lol. It's just eerie how he's outside talking to those women about the other tornadoes that day. Little did he know what was about to happen.

Yeah he even mentioned Moline. I'll have to go back and check to see if there were any out this way that day. He also mentioned Belvidere. I remember them getting hit by a bad tornado, but I don't know if it was this day or not. I'm sure some of the historians in this sub forum would know off the top of their head.

Yeah he even mentioned Moline. I'll have to go back and check to see if there were any out this way that day. He also mentioned Belvidere. I remember them getting hit by a bad tornado, but I don't know if it was this day or not. I'm sure some of the historians in this sub forum would know off the top of their head.

Yep, that was the same outbreak. Was the day that the high school got hit (It was an F4 as well).

Last year... Mt. Prospect and Downers Grove F1 Tornadoes..

http://abclocal.go.c...ocal&id=8207678

Wow, that was very cool! I was surprised at the lack of profanity by that guy lol. A lot of people would have been yelling everything in the book.

Me too. It reminds me of the WIBW weatherman during the 1966 Topeka F5. In his interview he's going on about how it was the most important moment in his career and he knew what he said next was going to make history. Instead of our modern day panic over tornado emergencies and such, he spoke in a monotone and bored voice saying "it's in topeka...for god sakes....take cover."

It's not quite the same...but guess back then presenters had more reserved reactions or so it would seem.

Me too. It reminds me of the WIBW weatherman during the 1966 Topeka F5. In his interview he's going on about how it was the most important moment in his career and he knew what he said next was going to make history. Instead of our modern day panic over tornado emergencies and such, he spoke in a monotone and bored voice saying "it's in topeka...for god sakes....take cover."

It's not quite the same...but guess back then people had more reserved reactions or so it would seem.

Yeah, good point. Definitely was very professional.

Only a matter of time before we get another Oak Lawn or Plainfield around here again.

...and this time it might not be through a suburb...

People often think Dallas is the worst case scenario out of the commonly tornado targeted major cities (often due to its geographical location), I'm inclined to think Chicago might be worse, especially during a 6/2/90, 4/24/67 or 4/11/65 type outbreak.

...and this time it might not be through a suburb...

People often think Dallas is the worst case scenario out of the commonly tornado targeted major cities (often due to its geographical location), I'm inclined to think Chicago might be worse, especially during a 6/2/90, 4/24/67 or 4/11/65 type outbreak.

The way I see it, the Dallas/Ft Worth Metroplex is at a somewhat higher likelihood simply due to its geographical location but Chicagoland is the biggest metro area with an enhanced risk of a major tornado disaster. Large metros like Houston, New York City, Philly etc certainly have the population to be concerned about but not the violent tornado history that areas in/around northeast IL have. Fortunately, the truly violent events don't happen very often but with the urban sprawl, a big hit on Cook county is no longer needed to make it a major problem.

Did some digging and found that Cook county's population in 1967 was over 5 million and not much different than current levels. The distribution has changed though with Chicago losing residents over the years. Here's are some impressive stats. Cook county's current population is higher than 29 states and it contains 40% of all Illinois residents.

Also, as of 2010, there are 39 counties in the US with over 1 million people. If we look at those counties and F4/F5 tornado tracks since 1950, there are only 3 other counties that have had 2 violent tornado strikes besides Cook: Cuyahoga county OH, Oakland county MI, and Hennepin county MN. St Louis is tricky since they are an independent city but if we lump them and St Louis county together, that makes 4.

Archived