Newest Member
    joxey
February 19-20 Potential Bomb Part II

earthlight

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did king just cave into the gfs....

the amped up gfs solution from last night into today is not looking likely. the euro might have been wrong with how fast it is shooting the norther disturbance but the gfs looked to be way too NW and wrapped up with its phase. its kinda looking like a comprimise at this point from the past couple days.

That's a really nice track for DC/etc. Verbatim this run they get a nice snowstorm. Boundary layer a little warm so I might favor the burbs.

But the good thing for our area is that the storm is still at 90 hrs...and we just had the Euro jump towards the more amplified solutions.

Yea but we also headed towards an agreement on placement/track. Not going to see this things impact our area unless we can get that northern stream component to interact and phase. My biggest concern is that with minimal ridging out west, it is going to be hard to get that to happen. Really need to see some changes at 12z tomorrow or else I think this will remain a snowstorm for areas just to our south and we will miss out.

Yea but we also headed towards an agreement on placement/track. Not going to see this things impact our area unless we can get that northern stream component to interact and phase. My biggest concern is that with minimal ridging out west, it is going to be hard to get that to happen. Really need to see some changes at 12z tomorrow or else I think this will remain a snowstorm for areas just to our south and we will miss out.

These things tend to trend further north as we get closer especially with a la Nina and a neutral/positive NAO. In fact they usually become too amplified and we get an inland solution. It's still too far out to speculate what may happen and we won't know what's really going to happen until Friday the earliest.

If the nrn stream was just a bit quicker, that would be a great hit. Still, being 90 hrs out isn't bad and knowing how these srn ULL can behave..maybe we can see a tick north.

i thought we need the northern disturbance to slow down a bit and dig more? if its quicker then the southern disturbance cant tug up N, and just scoots off the VA coast. no?

If the nrn stream was just a bit quicker, that would be a great hit. Still, being 90 hrs out isn't bad and knowing how these srn ULL can behave..maybe we can see a tick north.

The GFS definitely sped up the N stream on tonight 00z runs...but the Euro also totally caved to the GFS idea with the shortwave north of Montana. The 12z Euro run was incredibly progressive with that feature...the GFS has been generally consistent with that being farther west since last night.

I was very skeptical of the GFS in regards to that feature given the Euro's better initialization/etc...so I'm surprised to see it win out here.

All of that said...90 hrs away from the storm..you can't feel too confident putting out a forecast right now anywhere on the east coast.

i thought we need the northern disturbance to slow down a bit and dig more? if its quicker then the southern disturbance cant tug up N, and just scoots off the VA coast. no?

Well it's possible we may not ever see a phase between the nrn and srn stream. So, you have option 2 which is to get the nrn stream system out fast enough, so that the srn stream system can amplify and send the storm further north. It's risky, but can happen. I wouldn't like to count on it, but we may have to.

The GFS definitely sped up the N stream on tonight 00z runs...but the Euro also totally caved to the GFS idea with the shortwave north of Montana. The 12z Euro run was incredibly progressive with that feature...the GFS has been generally consistent with that being farther west since last night.

I was very skeptical of the GFS in regards to that feature given the Euro's better initialization/etc...so I'm surprised to see it win out here.

All of that said...90 hrs away from the storm..you can't feel too confident putting out a forecast right now anywhere on the east coast.

I don't have much confidence, other than to say that the MA is in jeopardy of getting a decent snow event. This area, has little confidence right now.

Archived