Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 19-20 Potential Bomb Part II

earthlight

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless we get a dynamic bomb, this is going to be a rainstorm for the coast, plain and simple.

This statement is just plain stupid. Temps just above the surface are below freezing, if you want to argue that coastal locations might now accumulate due to temps just above freezing or poor precip rates thats fine. Otherwise ............jeez nevermind, its not even worth it.

Need to get that northern stream to interact so that this thing does not slip south and east of us. Also the northern stream interaction will allow some colder air to work in, we need some type of phasing if we are going to see anything.

i think we can start taking that amped up solution off the table - the one thing to worry about is the Euro staying south and east and the GFS trending towards its - hope this GFS run was not the start of that trend ......

Very strongly agree...

I would rather take a coastal scraper with a moderate advisory snowfall than a coastal bomb at this point. Too many variables involved that would need to be set correctly for everyone to be winner.

Anything less than 5" from this would be a huge disappointment for me, though. Biggest snowfall IMBY this winter minus October is only 4".

I do question the lack of QPF from a sub-990 low, but again that's still unimportant compared to the grand scheme of things.

I would rather take a coastal scraper with a moderate advisory snowfall than a coastal bomb at this point. Too many variables involved that would need to be set correctly for everyone to be winner.

Anything less than 5" from this would be a huge disappointment for me, though. Biggest snowfall IMBY this winter minus October is only 4".

I do question the lack of QPF from a sub-990 low, but again that's still unimportant compared to the grand scheme of things.

its gonna get wetter this is a gulf low that is gonna be loaded with moisture. we'll be getting some qpf bombs in the coming days if we are in the hit zone

I *hate* when people throw out storms and say it will "be like" one from the past because you can never re-create precisely the same atmospheric conditions twice; though, of course, you can come close...it would be awful, though, if this one ends up following a track similar to that one back in late February, 1989...

I *hate* when people throw out storms and say it will "be like" one from the past because you can never re-create precisely the same atmospheric conditions twice; though, of course, you can come close...it would be awful, though, if this one ends up following a track similar to that one back in late February, 1989...

This was the one which was forecast to be significant as late as 8AM that morning, but Nassau didn't see a flake while AC got 18" and Montauk got 12", right?

I think of that one as the opposite of the Blizzard of 83, where at 8AM the forecast that I recall as a kid was 2-5"..

The GFS seems to be struggling with resolving the ageostrophic wind component, it wants to have E winds at the coast early in the event, I'm not sure I buy that. Its 44/27 at JFK on the MOS 00Z Sat eve, if it began precipitating by 07Z its hard to believe we wouldn't be seeing snow and this system if it follows a benchmark track should be dynamic enough to pull this off. bottom line is we are definitely cold enough for a snow event if this takes a classic track.

Not surprisingly the Euro has now made a major adjustment towards the GFS handling of the northern stream feature near Montana at 30 hr. It remains to be seen if the GFS was too aggressive and they'll meet somewhere in the middle. But this run is definitely more amplified with that feature when compared to the 12z run -- not even remotely similar.

Not surprisingly the Euro has now made a major adjustment towards the GFS handling of the northern stream feature near Montana at 30 hr. It remains to be seen if the GFS was too aggressive and they'll meet somewhere in the middle. But this run is definitely more amplified with that feature when compared to the 12z run -- not even remotely similar.

yeah the changes were made within 24hrs, that northern stream s/w is literally backed up 100's of miles more west than 12z.

Archived