Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
2/19 Weekend Threat

am19psu

Did it accumulate or evaporate? :P

More likely sublimate in the near zero DP's...

Good to see sane discussion going in. The ultimate outcome on this is still very much 'up in the air'.

I'm actually feeling more confident about seeing something non-liquid out of this here in the NW burbs

as opposed to a wide right. Unfortuately we'll be working with thawed ground just like in late March.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JBs latest from early this PM

"There are 6 major factors I spoke about yesterday and what you are seeing is modeling.. the GFS lining them all up for the maximum effect and others, most notably the European for the least. Interestingly enough the Euro may be throwing us a bone as to its intention as it tries to turn this up a bit near the Carolinas before going . My take is that while the GFS hitting on all cylinders and scoring the monster coup ( which by the way, would have rain in the big cities from DC to Boston for a time) is not the correct answer, neither is the euro as its map looks wrong with the max in the lakes that focused and strong. That should be strung out and weaker and this will allow the southern energy to come up and some energy left behind to dig in. My take is the track of this is New Orleans to between Hatteras and Norfolk and then to around Nantucket ( 40 n, 70w). There is really is so much going on here that I am taking the midpoint of what I see as the options and also refuse to believe at this point that a strongly positive NAO will simply allow a storm to escape like its blocked. So what is going on is that alot of cooks spoil the model broth and we have one that cant resolve it, the other that tries to in a way that would lead to a monster late season interior la nina event, which by the way loves to happen west of the I-95 cities in years when snow as fallen in October. So essentially I have no changes, and dont think that a model run one way or the other, until we see the players and their relative weights can be trusted. "

Hurricane Shwartz going with the Euro ftw

oh and lol, it's getting ugly in the MA forum :

Hard to call off any threat to mid-Atlantic at this early hour, especially with so much flip-flopping of the models. EURO is the only one that has been consistent for 3 straight runs. And EURO ensembles are stronger and farther north than operational.

I showed EURO on-air because:

a) it's the most accurate model overall

B) the GFS solution looks too different from other models

c) it's the only real forecast question in the next 5 days

d)snow doesn't need to fall in Philly for it to be a story here...we cover from Southern DE to the Poconos.

I hope the models fall in line in the next 2 days, but with that fast Pacific flow, it's not likely.

Glenn

:lmao:

Why have there been more than 50 posts in the last 8 hours about a storm which the GFS says is rain and every other op seems to say is OTS? Good grief...

At least it is only 7 pages for a possible rain event... 20 pages in the MA, 31 in NE and 20 in NYC

gfs indiv ens members

f90.gif

f96.gif

Two days later not much taken off the table. The GFS solutions do seem too neat, many sloppy short waves hanging around plus it is stronger with the short wave entering the western conus and we have to wait for nearly to the start up time for that to be sampled (unless some Pacific missions are planned). IDK the pattern seems too progressive for me to buy into the op GFS solution, would probably if I had to opt for an ec ensemble like solution knowing very well my chances of being right given this volatility are slim.

I'm hoping we can all make out this weekend with something, but I get the inclination this is just not the winter for an SECS or more. We were all set to get 5-8" out here last weekend, and we only ended up with a measly 2". Taking the science out, it just doesn't feel like it is in the cards. I'd say any model at this range has only nominal value.

Glenn- Will we end that trend this weekend? :snowing:

As others have said, we need to "thread the needle" to get a decent snowfall. It's too warm at the start, AND there's no blocking. According to my research, you can't get a KU-type storm with this combination. We would need a cutoff low to develop (and that's not happening). The storm will move too fast, and in order for the storm to get close enough to provide heavy precip, it will also have to drag up warm air.

Hope for a sloppy few inches, and be thrilled if we get it (subject to change, of course).

Glenn

As others have said, we need to "thread the needle" to get a decent snowfall. It's too warm at the start, AND there's no blocking. According to my research, you can't get a KU-type storm with this combination. We would need a cutoff low to develop (and that's not happening). The storm will move too fast, and in order for the storm to get close enough to provide heavy precip, it will also have to drag up warm air.

Hope for a sloppy few inches, and be thrilled if we get it (subject to change, of course).

Glenn

Any snow is good snow! Thanks for your time and "tolerance", Glenn- its a credit to your professionalism, sir.

I showed a stat tonight that by Feb. 15th we had:

2009-10 72.1"

2010-11 43.9"

2011-12 4.0"

It's amazing that considering how snowy the past 2 winters were, how little snow we had after Feb. 15th

Glenn

well that 4" is closer to the avg. then the 43.9" ;)

good thing you adjusted your winter numbers last month ;) but we still have march :)

What, no obsessive analysis of the 0z NAM in here? ;)

The NAM now gets precip almost to Philly. It's closer to fully phasing the two streams. Let's see if the GFS holds serve, backs off a little, or *gulp* goes even farther west.

that surprised me too.....i've been floating to all the other forums to see what they think........the best i came come up with is that the NAM made a slight move towards the GFS???

What, no obsessive analysis of the 0z NAM in here? ;)

The NAM now gets precip almost to Philly. It's closer to fully phasing the two streams. Let's see if the GFS holds serve, backs off a little, or *gulp* goes even farther west.

its ptless to discuss the nam past 48 hrs...Once past 48hrs with short range models its a coin flip. They are mesoscale models they key on little things that can make a huge difference down the road in the run. Thats why you get huge variations from run to run with the nam. The mesoscale models, and im sure adam may correct me here cause im not sure if im correct on this, but they are non hydrostatic models, while the globals are static. Basically the globals dont usually have wild run to run shifts because they dont pick up on all the mesoscale stuff, its smoothed out.

Archived