e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
2/19 Weekend Threat

am19psu

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would seem that the SE to NE movement of the L woudl bring more snow into the PA TPK South at this point beyond hour 84, no?

NAM/Euro/GFS are scarily close. Slight jog to the NW would be good. SLIGHT.

yea i would imagine it gets into se pa some more...maybe not much further north than a pauls location to new hope line

It would seem that the SE to NE movement of the L woudl bring more snow into the PA TPK South at this point beyond hour 84, no?

NAM/Euro/GFS are scarily close. Slight jog to the NW would be good. SLIGHT.

From a meteorological perspective yup, there is still good forecast omega in that area. From a reality check, it is the 84hr prog of the nam.

From a meteorological perspective yup, there is still good forecast omega in that area. From a reality check, it is the 84hr prog of the nam.

Good point Ray. I'm extraoplating an extrapolation... Not great science, I presume!

I think the only reason it 'semi' works in this instance is its strong agreement with the GFS/Euro. Otherwise, it's something to discuss while the hours tick by...

Question for the mets! How strange is it to see a trough out west where we typically want a ridge for an east coast storm? I mean I guess this setup is threading the needle at it's finest!

Very strange and it's one of the reasons why I've been favoring the southern solutions. A ridge over MSP usually brings a storm to Bermuda, but these wavelengths are abnormally short for February - which gets to Tony's point about this being a mid-March or even April type pattern.

Oh man. Sorry Tony. I need more coffee. :ee:

No problem, I've been called alot worse. ;) Other than being on the slow side, yeah the nam track solution is not in outlier territory.

BTW I did just run through the NAM forecast soundings at my house off of twister, and it has a lot of dry air from 850mb-700mb. It is the 84hr nam so taking that into account first. On one hand its not good because it will eat the snow, but on the other hand, the BL would not be much of an issue.

Very strange and it's one of the reasons why I've been favoring the southern solutions. A ridge over MSP usually brings a storm to Bermuda, but these wavelengths are abnormally short for February - which gets to Tony's point about this being a mid-March or even April type pattern.

So the longwave pattern is relatively short for this trough by mid- February standards?

No problem, I've been called alot worse. ;) Other than being on the slow side, yeah the nam track solution is not in outlier territory.

BTW I did just run through the NAM forecast soundings at my house off of twister, and it has a lot of dry air from 850mb-700mb. It is the 84hr nam so taking that into account first. On one hand its not good because it will eat the snow, but on the other hand, the BL would not be much of an issue.

Thanks for understanding. Have tons of respect for you guys...so I don't want to mess up whilst trying to learn!

Seems another potential 'element' to a truly 'thread the needle' scenario and shows how much has to go right to make this what we want it...

Thanks for the input.

Thats the problem - most runs with good thermal structure have been dry.

Quick note - Just checking the 850mb low, it looks to track just south of our area through the duration of the storm. I think this is a case and its still early where we'll start off with rain and then a changeover to snow.

12z pretty close to 6z maybe a little further south still decent precip gets into philly about .5 or so...looks to be snow but not sure of bl temps

12z pretty close to 6z maybe a little further south still decent precip gets into philly about .5 or so...looks to be snow but not sure of bl temps

Yeah its a bit tough to compare because its about 3-6hrs slower (which also was a nam trend), but its colder and slightly more to the southeast with its overall track. Its forecast sounding is not as dry as the nam between 850mb and 700mb and places with questionable bl conditions would have some rain at the start.

Archived