• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 11, 2012 system?

Rankin5150

Looks like things have ramped up overnight. GSP now has a WSW out for Avery, Mitchell, Yancey, Haywood, & Swain counties. Buncombe and N Jackson have been added to Madison and Graham for the WWA. Here is the near term afd from 4 am along with a link to the winter weather page. We currently have light snow in Weaverville & are forecast for 1-2".

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...

AS OF 4 AM...LOW LVL WINDS ARE BECOMING MORE NWLY AND SPEEDS ARE

BEGINNING TO INCREASE AS STRONG CANADIAN SFC HIGH PUSHES INTO THE

REGION. AS THE COLDER AIR MOVES INTO THE FCST AREA...NW FLOW SNOW

SHOULD INCREASE ALONG THE NC/TN BORDER REGION WITH THE HIGHEST

SNOWFALL RATES OVER THE NORTHERN AND SOUTHWESTERN MTS ABOVE 3500FT.

TEMPS WILL BE QUITE COLD LATER TODAY AND TONIGHT AND SHOULD SUPPORT

SLR VALUES IN THE 20 TO 25:1 RANGE ESPECIALLY ON THE HIGHEST PEAKS.

WINDS WILL MIX DOWN EFFICIENTLY TODAY/TONIGHT WITH AT LEAST ADVISORY

CRITERIA OVER MOST OF THE CWFA AND HIGH WIND WRN CRITERIA OVER THE

HIGHEST ELEVATIONS OF THE NC MTS THRU SUNDAY MORNING. I EXPECT SNOW

TO TAPER OFF BY 12Z SUNDAY WITH STORM TOTAL AMOUNTS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES

FOR NC MT VALLEYS AND 4 TO 6 INCHES FOR THE HIGHER PEAKS. LATEST

PARCEL TRAJECTORIES DEPICT A HEALTHY GREAT LAKES FETCH AND AN IDEAL

NW COMPONENT RIGHT ALONG THE NC/TN BORDER THAT SUSTAINS ITSELF FOR

THE NEXT 24HRS. BY THE END OF THE PERIOD AT 12Z SUNDAY...THE SFC

PRESSURE GRADIENT WILL BEGIN TO WEAKEN AND WIND SPEEDS SHOULD

DECREASE BELOW ADVISORY CRITERIA FOR THE PIEDMONT AND FOOTHILLS.

POPS WILL ALSO FALL BELOW SLIGHT CHANCE BY 12Z SUNDAY AS THE LOW

LVLS DRY OUT AND WINDS BECOME MORE WESTERLY.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gsp/stormtotal/stormtotal.shtml

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice! you are ahead of me. We are getting light snow but nothing is sticking yet.

That won't last once the front blows through here. :) I'm pleased that there is no mix with rain as the NWS forecast indicated. Every once in a while out here in the Leicester area, the trajectories can be just right and we can really cash in on NWFS. I've managed 6 inches of snow a few times over the year. So, I am hoping the cold air and snow ratios over performs.

Thanks for the PBS my friends!!! PLEASE keep em coming! I knew this system would at least have some significance? Isn't this the first WWA and WSW's for many areas? TIA for answering my question.

I think I have had a couple winter weather advisories, but my snow total for the season is only .7, so maybe today will be better. The ground is getting white, but I think daylight hours may be a killer here unless it stays cloudy and continuously snowy.

Thanks for the PBS my friends!!! PLEASE keep em coming! I knew this system would at least have some significance? Isn't this the first WWA and WSW's for many areas? TIA for answering my question.

We had one the first of January but that has been it. One the whole winter but this looks like it will beat that storm hopefully. I had 5 inches that storm and with the way this storm is just starting looks like we could easily beat that amount.Still snowing hard. All surfaces covered. I would call it a heavy dusting at this point. Roads are turning solid white and wind is really picking up.

I think I have had a couple winter weather advisories, but my snow total for the season is only .7, so maybe today will be better. The ground is getting white, but I think daylight hours may be a killer here unless it stays cloudy and continuously snowy.

The sun may not be a big factor today. I was reading from GSP that our temps are suppose to fall to around 20 degrees by 4 or 5 today with wind chills dipping belowe zero this afternoon. Very cold stuff coming in.

The sun may not be a big factor today. I was reading from GSP that our temps are suppose to fall to around 20 degrees by 4 or 5 today with wind chills dipping belowe zero this afternoon. Very cold stuff coming in.

At your elevation, you definitely won't have to worry. I'll hope for the best here. But you're right, maybe the cold will do it's job. :snowing:

Just got into work at Asheville. Some good snow going on in the N part of the county. Ground is white in Weaverville attm. A coworker came in from Arden & said it was not even snowing down there. It's gonna be a short day for me as I want to get home for the show no matter how big it is. Noticed last night around 10 pm TWC said it was 14° in Chicago & there forecast low was 23°. Maybe the guidance will be off down here also and it will help the ratios.

heavy heav snow setting up. It had died down a little but now we have very heavy snow setting up. The hardest it has snowed all morning. I would say this band is producing 1 inch per hour rates.

Still just flurries and light snow here. The best precip is definitely south of here, still nice to see some flakes flying!

I think this will change as the day goes on. You are def. in a good spot for this event.

Hey Don. I went to the K-Mart across from the mall and there is nothing. I get home and I have almost 2 inches! Just from Patton Ave going down Leicester Hwy, it gets progressively more. It has slowed up for now, but it is quite an impressive blanket. The roads even have patches of white.

Hey Don. I went to the K-Mart across from the mall and there is nothing. I get home and I have almost 2 inches! Just from Patton Ave going down Leicester Hwy, it gets progressively more. It has slowed up for now, but it is quite an impressive blanket. The roads even have patches of white.

J, I Just got back home from the mall & there is def. A diff. up toward Weaverville. Looks like about 1.5" to the eyeball up here. How far out in Leicester are you? Wind is starting to become a issue up here. Great pics btw! It's good to see some that have white stuff in them.

Weverville obs 27.6° WD NNW & gusty. Light Snow.

Archived