Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
FOX8 Meteorologist Emily Byrd Seriously Injured in Fall

DCMetroWinston

HIGH POINT, N.C. (WGHP)—

FOX8 Meteorologist Emily Byrd is recovering at a local hospital after she was seriously injured in a fall on Monday.

Emily was out shopping on Monday when she fell, hitting her head and breaking several bones. She is doing "much better" today and wants to thank everyone for their kind thoughts and prayers.

Emily will likely be out of work for several weeks while she recovers from her injuries.

http://www.myfox8.com/news/wghp-story-fox8-meteorologist-emily-byrd-seriously-injured-120207,0,2081009.story

Down steps would be my guess

TW

Was my initial thought. The fact that she was "shopping" is irrelevant, why writers for news agencies add unnecessary bs is beyond me, especially to a story involving a staff member. It should have read that she sustained the injuries from a fall....period.

Anyway, hope she has a quick recovery.

Was my initial thought. The fact that she was "shopping" is irrelevant, why writers for news agencies add unnecessary bs is beyond me, especially to a story involving a staff member. It should have read that she sustained the injuries from a fall....period.

Anyway, hope she has a quick recovery.

If they didn't say she was shopping people would wonder why they didn't give any details.

Anyway, hope she has a speedy recovery.

Not enough info in the story. How do you fall that hard shopping?

Not as difficult as one might think. It's winter; lady was probably wearing boots, maybe even high heels. Those tile floors are on top of concrete; not very giving if you slip and fall. I've called ambulances to fall victims several times at work during the past two decades for just such falls; seems like all happened during winter months. Wishing Emily a very speedy and full recovery.

She posted this today on their facebook page

373301_168359489862901_1954097149_q.jpg

FOX 8 Emily Byrd

Good morning!

I'm up for a moment and thought I'd check in... and holy moley have you all taken my breath away. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your prayers and well-wishes.

I don't know why I fell, and we may never be able to figure it out. I am terribly grateful to the people who jumped in to help without hesitation. The staff at Costco took care of my baby until my husband could arrive. An off-duty paramedic named Darrell (I will find out his full name for a more appropriate thank-you) immediately administered CPR.

I remember blacking out and thinking that perhaps I was getting a migraine. Someone else said it appeared I had a seizure. I don't have a medical history of either.

My skull and cheekbone were fractured, collarbone was broken in (I think) two places, shoulder dislocated, artery torn that fed both my arm and brain, my heart stopped and four ribs were fractured. I state this not to pull a "woe is me", but to say, "thank God!!" because I'm alive. I'm alive because of incredible, selfless people who didn't have to help, but did without hesitation.

The staff at Cone Hospital were unstoppable, and because of their surgeries, I'm home with my beautiful family. I'm absolutely overwhelmed but thriving by their skill and care.

My friends and family (yes, that means you) have always meant the world to me, and now I feel like the world just isn't big enough for the appreciation I feel. It will be a while before I can return to work. Walking and talking is difficult right now. I will be back though, and hopefully nobody will ever be able to tell that any challenge was posed.

I love you all and wish you the best

WTF????? All of that from falling? Torn artery? My guess is she had the arterial aneurysm which caused her to loose conscience. I wonder what she hit, that wasn't "just" a fall.

With enough force it can happen. Just a freak accident with everything having to be perfect probably to happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traumatic_aortic_rupture

Archived