• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
The NESIS 5 Blizzard.

Chris L

Will we ever track one of these rare, rare beauties in our lifetime? I think yes, espeically if we get El Nino.

What I want to see is every station break their snow records with the same blizzard. January 1996 came very close, IMO.

For this to happen: Every Station from DC-BOS has to get above 30". for PHL has to be above 31".

PD II also came close to being a NESIS 5, but it didn't hit the South that hard like it did with 1996. Forget March '93, that's way too rare.

The monster early Feb storm in 2010 could have been a NESIS 5 had it spread up the coast.

Ejhh... The slow moving nature of that with the insane cut off skewed big Time totals to Philly region. If it had been more progressive, maybe a bit more widespread, but would we have seen the same amounts? Hard to say...

1996 was a rare beauty !

Fozz, that would do it. But too hard to get...

So is any type of widespread 30"+ storm for I-95. There are issues of compacting, duration, snowfall rates, and ratios which make such a storm extremely difficult.......I mean, with normal 10:1 ratios, we're talking a widespread 3"+ of liquid in all the cities. How often does that even happen with rainstorms?

Will we ever track one of these rare, rare beauties in our lifetime? I think yes, espeically if we get El Nino.

What I want to see is every station break their snow records with the same blizzard. January 1996 came very close, IMO.

For this to happen: Every Station from DC-BOS has to get above 30". for PHL has to be above 31".

PD II also came close to being a NESIS 5, but it didn't hit the South that hard like it did with 1996. Forget March '93, that's way too rare.

:lmao:

Fozz, that would do it. But too hard to get...

We'll probably see several storms in our lifetimes that try to dethrone 93, and will by many standards. If these things were "easy" to get, they wouldn't be any fun. As far as I'm concerned, the sky's the limit with any type of storm... the atmosphere breeds, and requires, violence and hostility, and therefore will eventually find ways to spawn intense systems. If you think about it, 93, 96, 2003 and 2010's multi-blizzards all occurred within a relatively short period of time, so it's not like Cat 5-caliber storms are a 100 or 500-year event. Who knows, it might be a post-tropical hurricane in late November that stalls over a frigid air mass, it might be another triple phaser, or it might be a double- or triple-barrel low that NCDC counts as one storm. We'll see plenty of Cat 5-type storms.

Even if March 93 had gone 100 miles more to the east and taken all the heaviest amounts that were over the interior and transferred them to the I-95 corridor I still don't know if we would have seen widespread 30"+ amounts. Again 96/2003 were both long duration events with extremely cold temperatures and both only saw isolated amounts in that range. I think alot of coastal locations lost alot of accumulation to rain in 1888. Even if we had a '78 situation where the storm stalled off the coast, it would likely favor areas in a DC to NYC swatch or from NYC to Boston but not the entire megalopolis.

We'll probably see several storms in our lifetimes that try to dethrone 93, and will by many standards. If these things were "easy" to get, they wouldn't be any fun. As far as I'm concerned, the sky's the limit with any type of storm... the atmosphere breeds, and requires, violence and hostility, and therefore will eventually find ways to spawn intense systems. If you think about it, 93, 96, 2003 and 2010's multi-blizzards all occurred within a relatively short period of time, so it's not like Cat 5-caliber storms are a 100 or 500-year event. Who knows, it might be a post-tropical hurricane in late November that stalls over a frigid air mass, it might be another triple phaser, or it might be a double- or triple-barrel low that NCDC counts as one storm. We'll see plenty of Cat 5-type storms.

agree...we've had alot of big storms over the past couple decades and while our planet warms, storms become fiercer. i see interior Superstorm totals in the big cities within the next two decades.

What I find most interesting is storms rarely take tracks like that. Either they cut up near the lakes or they stay offshore. The 93 storm came right up the coast just inland, as I believe Dec 92 did as well and the March 94 noreaster that also buried interior locations with 2-3 feet.

agree...we've had alot of big storms over the past couple decades and while our planet warms, storms become fiercer. i see interior Superstorm totals in the big cities within the next two decades.

Ejhh... The slow moving nature of that with the insane cut off skewed big Time totals to Philly region. If it had been more progressive, maybe a bit more widespread, but would we have seen the same amounts? Hard to say...

1996 was a rare beauty !

Even than snowfall totals would have easily been 2 feet+, the tropical feed from that storm was unbelievable and it was the amount of moisture within that massive storm that was able to produce those prolific amounts.

I still think 1888 is the gold standard. If we can get another low to pull a nice cyclonic loop possibly earlier in the season yielding less front end rain we should be good to go. It really seems like its duration that is required to really top 30 inches.

March 13/14th 10 produced some incredible amounts over the highest terrain of the Catskills. The peaks were still snow covered even after the super torch that followed. I was at Kilington that weekend boarding and watched them loose feet of snow pack only to drive home and see the Catskills high peeks still bright white, so they must have had over 50 inches during that storm.

Archived