Newest Member
    Toothache
Southeast February Mid/Long Range Discussion II

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More tough news for us:

@RyanMaue: Every GFS and CMC ensemble shows European cold lasting at least for the next 10-15 days. http://policlimate.c...ath_europe.html

Cold remains in Europe for at least bulk of February.

Ya reading some on the main forum looks like we are screwed. When the AO turned negative it sent the cold air on the wrong side of the world. Just our luck this year.

Well 6z is back to showing a nice storm for us with subsequent cold shots and moisture hooking up. A true fantasy at this rate but I guess you never know.

Fwiw, I do think the 6z Goofy is likely showing some CAD induced ZR for part of W NC late 2/8 to early 2/9 from a Miller B type. Then there is a Miller A for 2/10-11 that produces up to 2-3" of snow in part of NC as currently depicted fwiw. This is an exciting run for NC for 2/8-11 for sure and just about the most exciting run for them this winter! Will Feb be rockin' after all ? Stay tuned to this board for further updates as they become available.

On a normal year thie 06z would start the board buzzing. At 10 days out, well, we all know the drill.

It's just gonna go down as that type of winter. Of interest for sure is as someone else said this might be the most nailed Miller A track in the history of the GFS. It just won't let go of it. We just need the temps to be there.

Fwiw, I do think the 6z Goofy is likely showing some CAD induced ZR for part of W NC late 2/8 to early 2/9 from a Miller B type. Then there is a Miller A for 2/10-11 that produces up to 2-3" of snow in part of NC as currently depicted fwiw. This is an exciting run for NC for 2/8-11 for sure and just about the most exciting run for them this winter! Will Feb be rockin' after all ? Stay tuned to this board for further updates as they become available.

If that 2/10 - 11 threat were four days away we would be ecstatic. That's really the perfect track for me. Just far enough east to wobble west and slam MBY. I put my chips in. All I can hope for is an Ace on the river.

The problem is there is no cold air to make it happen. Where's the cold supposed to be coming from?

It's just gonna go down as that type of winter. Of interest for sure is as someone else said this might be the most nailed Miller A track in the history of the GFS. It just won't let go of it. We just need the temps to be there.

Yeah - I noticed the ensembles are all over it, and there's been a significant cold trend in the 6-10 day time frame. Hoping for an old school NW trend so Nashville would be in the jackpot. Haven't had a storm with more than 4 inches at the airport since 2003. We need a big synoptic event.

I hate to be the one to point this out, but a 6 day model prog is fairly well disconnected from reality. Just sayin'.

Hell a one day model prog can be disconnected from reality. As for Brick, listen closely. I'm not saying or believing it will happen the way 6z depicts it...simply that it's there. You bet I hope it does though.

On the 6z there is...do you even look at the maps before you say things?

Sometimes I wonder if everyone is looking at the same maps. I don't see any "real" cold air arriving for at least 10 days according to the 6z GFS. Certainly not cold enough for anything frozen anywhere in the Southeast. For the event in question 2/8-9, surface temperatures would probably be in the low 40's or upper 30's at best in much of NC. There really is no cold air source in this case.

Sometimes I wonder if everyone is looking at the same maps. I don't see any "real" cold air arriving for at least 10 days according to the 6z GFS. Certainly not cold enough for anything frozen anywhere in the Southeast. For the event in question 2/8-9, surface temperatures would probably be in the low 40's or upper 30's at best in much of NC. There really is no cold air source in this case.

Verbatim there is certainly enough cold air to produce snow for the event ten days from now on the 6z. Would it accumulate? Well that's another question. 2m temps are almost always off with any event and progged too warm. Again will it happen? Probably not. It's there though. Again is it "real"? Guess time will tell.

8L4EO.gif

5vVQs.gif

Verbatim there is certainly enough cold air to produce snow for the event ten days from now on the 6z. Would it accumulate? Well that's another question. 2m temps are almost always off with any event and progged too warm. Again will it happen? Probably not. It's there though. Again is it "real"? Guess time will tell.

8L4EO.gif

5vVQs.gif

That's a wind chill map :lmao:

I guess we don't all look at the same maps then. ;) In all seriousness I was referencing the Feb 8-10th which was the event in question. Day 10 and beyond there is plenty of cold air. Just a little too late.

lol and just FTR..I use SV which lays everything out for idiots like me. I rarely have to look at individual maps.

Archived