• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December-January 5th Warmest in DC History

RodneyS

January 2012 averaged 40.7 degrees at DCA, making it the 18th warmest January in DC history. However, December 2011 and January 2012 combined averaged 42.9 degrees, making it the 5th warmest December-January in DC history. Looking at the four December-January combinations that beat the last two months does not suggest February will see much cold or snow. Specifically, December 1931-January 1932 was the warmest combination, at 45.5 degrees, and was followed by a February that was 42.9 degrees with only a trace of snow. December 1949-January 1950 (also a La Nina) was the second warmest combination, at 45.0 degrees, and was followed by a February that was 38.7 degrees, also with a trace of snow. December 1889-January 1890 was the third warmest combination, at 44.7 degrees, and was followed by a February that was 43.4 degrees with 1.5 inches of snow. December 2001-January 2002 was the fourth warmest combination, at 43.6 degrees, and was followed by a February that was 42.6 degrees with 0.5 inches of snow. However, the 6th warmest December-January combination offers a glimmer of hope for snow lovers. That combination occurred just five years ago, when December 2006-January 2007 averaged 42.5 degrees, but was followed by a February that was only 30.9 degrees with 5.9 inches of snow. Of course, that was an El Nino year, but still.

Man the #1 warmest year must have been an all out Jan/Feb TORCH! I would have thought we would have been challenging for the warmest jan/feb ever the way the warmistas have been describing this winter.

January 1932 was so warm that Baltimore did not get below freezing until the last day of the month. Not to mention, three consecutive days in the upper 70s.

This winter has been consistently mild with cold fronts getting temps back to normal. I am wondering if the 4 warmer years included more record highs spikes which have not been the normal this year? Someone probably with TMTOTH and can research and post? I am curious but do not have the time.

You are correct. The last two months have not seen a temperature higher than 68 degrees at DCA (on January 7th). On the other hand, the other four years (and December 2006-January 2007, the 6th warmest) all had at least three 70+ readings in December and January in DC. Specifically:

December 1889: three

January 1890: two

December 1931: one

January 1932: three

December 1949: zero

January 1950: six

December 2001: four

January 2002: one

December 2006: two

January 2007: one

Today's a pretty good start for that mark.

True, but if we do get a + 9 reading in February (to set the all-time high average meteorological winter temperature in DC), that would mean February 2012 averaged 48.1 degrees, which would break the existing February record set in 1976 by 1.2 degrees. Possible, but very unlikely.

True, but if we do get a + 9 reading in February (to set the all-time high average meteorological winter temperature in DC), that would mean February 2012 averaged 48.1 degrees, which would break the existing February record set in 1976 by 1.2 degrees. Possible, but very unlikely.

No, I agree. +9 on the month is implausible.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on NWS and Weather Channel projections for the rest of this month, DCA February 2012 temperatures look to finish at about 44 degrees, which would make it the 4th warmest February in DC history. Based on that number, the meteorological winter would finish at 43.2 degrees -- the third warmest ever in DC. Interestingly, the two warmest DC meteorological winters (1931-32 at 44.6 degrees and 1889-90 at 44.3 degrees) were each followed by a March that was the coldest and snowiest month of the season. Specifically, March 1932 checked in at 40.0 degrees with 4.0 inches of snow (after 1.0 inch during December-February) and March 1890 checked in at 41.4 degrees with 5.0 inches of snow (after 1.5 inches during December- February). So, there may still be some hope for DC snow lovers that this snow season will not be a total bust.

Based on NWS and Weather Channel projections for the rest of this month, DCA February 2012 temperatures look to finish at about 44 degrees, which would make it the 4th warmest February in DC history. Based on that number, the meteorological winter would finish at 43.2 degrees -- the third warmest ever in DC. Interestingly, the two warmest DC meteorological winters (1931-32 at 44.6 degrees and 1889-90 at 44.3 degrees) were each followed by a March that was the coldest and snowiest month of the season. Specifically, March 1932 checked in at 40.0 degrees with 4.0 inches of snow (after 1.0 inch during December-February) and March 1890 checked in at 41.4 degrees with 5.0 inches of snow (after 1.5 inches during December- February). So, there may still be some hope for DC snow lovers that this snow season will not be a total bust.

Small sample size, but I hope you're right.

the look i did at end jan on snow thru the date was also weighted to above average snow in march (11 of 18 winters). that's not necessarily a lot of snow of course. when you factor in some evidence of nina snow in march it seems we might have at least a slightly better shot than normal. though at this point i would not favor it myself.

the look i did at end jan on snow thru the date was also weighted to above average snow in march (11 of 18 winters). that's not necessarily a lot of snow of course. when you factor in some evidence of nina snow in march it seems we might have at least a slightly better shot than normal. though at this point i would not favor it myself.

I wouldn't favor it as the beginning of March looks pretty hostile.

The other side of this coin is that a decade ago the 2001-02 meteorological winter temperature averaged what this winter appears headed for (43.2 degrees), with just 3.2 inches of snow D-F, but March checked in at a warmer than normal 47.7 degrees, with no snow. That was a neutral winter, though, not a La Nina. Does anyone know whether the 1889-90 or 1931-32 winters were thought to be La Nina?

The other side of this coin is that a decade ago the 2001-02 meteorological winter temperature averaged what this winter appears headed for (43.2 degrees), with just 3.2 inches of snow D-F, but March checked in at a warmer than normal 47.7 degrees, with no snow. That was a neutral winter, though, not a La Nina. Does anyone know whether the 1889-90 or 1931-32 winters were thought to be La Nina?

http://www.cgd.ucar....index.html#Sec5

ftp://www.coaps.fsu....-today.filter-5

1889-90 was probably a Nina..either moderate or strong most likely....

1931-32 was neutral

I think 4th warmest on record is a lock and 3rd place is 50-50?....1st or 2nd are pretty much impossible

http://www.cgd.ucar....index.html#Sec5

ftp://www.coaps.fsu....-today.filter-5

1889-90 was probably a Nina..either moderate or strong most likely....

1931-32 was neutral

I think 4th warmest on record is a lock and 3rd place is 50-50?....1st or 2nd are pretty much impossible

Thanks very much. I agree that this (meteorological) winter will be either 3rd or 4th warmest in DC, which will mean that two of the four will have occurred in La Nina years and the other two in neutral years. So, the current scorecard is that, of the four warmest, the one previous Nina gave DC a cold March, whereas the two previous neutrals split between a cold March and a warm March. Not a whole lot to base a cold March 2012 on, but perhaps a little something.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much. I agree that this (meteorological) winter will be either 3rd or 4th warmest in DC, which will mean that two of the four will have occurred in La Nina years and the other two in neutral years. So, the current scorecard is that, of the four warmest, the one previous Nina gave DC a cold March, whereas the two previous neutrals split between a cold March and a warm March. Not a whole lot to base a cold March 2012 on, but perhaps a little something.

Looks like February is finalized at 44.3 degrees (4th warmest), and the meteorological winter (D-F) is finalized at 43.3 degrees (3rd warmest, and the warmest since 1932). As far as a colder than normal March, the odds grow longer by the day.

f

Archived